Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 06:13 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,462,559 times

Advertisements

I was awakened early this morning by the sound of dogs baying. Looked out the window to see a hound climbing the fence into my yard, crossing it, and climbing through the field fence on the other side, chasing after a beagle. They must have been trailing something. Later, I was startled again to hear baying. This time, the dog was inside my yard again, trying to figure out how to get out!

Long story short, the dog is still here, I've been feeding her bread and keeping her in the enclosed camper top of my truck. Her collar had a name and number and no one has returned my calls. The hunt club she's registered with doesn't appear to have a phone number.

She can't stay in my truck indefinitely, I have things to do. If I leave her in the yard, she might climb out and get run over. She doesn't like being tied up.

What am I supposed to do? Should I take her to the shelter? There are lots of animal adoption agencies, but she has to go to the pound first.

I think she's an English Coon Hound. Does anyone out there want a stinky hunting dog?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2007, 07:27 PM

489 posts, read 2,015,761 times
Sounds like a hunting dog found YOU! ha ha

Where are you that the dog has to go to the pound first? Why aren't you able to take the dog directly to a no-kill shelter?

Can the dog not be kept isolated in your home for the time being?

Keep us posted. I'll be curious to know how this turns out. Good luck. I hope someone will cooperate with you and help you.

Old 03-29-2007, 07:37 PM

Yes, I'm a magnet for this kind of thing.

I'm worried that she'll climb the fence while I'm away and it's too hot for her to stay in the truck if I have to go somewhere that's not shaded.

I'd keep her if I weren't in the process of tying up loose ends and moving. Her timing is way off. She has a name now, Honey Belle. Isn't that a nice hound dog name? She already loves me.

In Alachua County where I live, the adoption agencies won't take a stray until it's been in custody for 3 days in order for the rightful owner to come forward. Our shelter is no-kill for the most part. The agencies come through on a regular basis and collect the adoptable animals.

I've called and emailed the apparent owner. No response. The dog is awfully skinny, but maybe that's common for hunting breeds, especially if they've been running for a few days.

Old 03-29-2007, 07:46 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,219,211 times
I think if you take it to the shelter, they will get a hold of the owner. A friend found a hunting dog outside of Lake City and called the police. The sheriff's deputy knew whose dog it was and took it back to the guy. I have heard that it is very common for hunters to leave their dogs if they get lost during the hunt.

I found a stray between Chrsitmas and New Years on I-10 near Live Oak and had to board it at the vet until I could get it adopted. A wonderful woman paid for the boarding, as I had spent $250 on getting it healthy.

Old 03-30-2007, 04:14 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,034,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinfla View Post
I have heard that it is very common for hunters to leave their dogs if they get lost during the hunt.
I have heard the same. I hope you figure out a solution, ellie.
::sigh::
Sometimes the timing of dogs is not the best.

Old 03-30-2007, 05:53 AM

I'm going to take her to the shelter this morning. No response from the owners. They all know I have her and where I'm taking her. That's the best I can do.

If anyone wants a sweet hunting dog, who is obviously trained to hunt, they can contact me.

Old 03-30-2007, 07:48 AM

489 posts, read 2,015,761 times
What a sweet name you have given her. Maybe her getting lost or left behind is a blessing in disguise and best for her. I don't like the way most hunters view their dogs. They treat them like accessories rather than pets or family members. I'll bet this sweet girl is on her way to a wonderful life now because she got away and found you to help her.

Old 03-30-2007, 08:46 AM

Default Happy ending

So I took Honey Bell to the shelter and was standing around in the lobby with her talking to the women at the desk while they made phone calls regarding her owner. A man dressed in camouflage came out of the back, from the animal viewing area. I was about to start joking with him and offer him the dog since he appeared to be a hunter. But he started joking first, "hey that's my dog."

Except he wasn't joking. It was his dog. Her name is Gladys, which is also a good hunting dog name. She's a deer dog. She and three other dogs escaped their pen. One's still missing.

So despite the fact that she's going back to a less than perfect existence, she is at least back with her rightful owner. I'm going to suspend judgment on the guy, he did at least come looking for her.

Old 03-30-2007, 09:11 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,890,363 times
Ahhhh. Yeah, I'd probably suspend judgement too since after you sent the guy a message on where you were taking the sweet baby he actually beat you there. WOW! And even to go looking for the dog. Some people just don't. Don't you love how those little furbabies make things so hard on us like showing up at the wrong time. I'll never forget when one of my babies was in the hospital recovering from surgery (she was there a week and I went at least twice a day to see her) there was this one dog there in a cast and he looked so sad. The owners brought him in as he had been hurt and dropped him off. He had been ready to go home for over a week and the vets office had left messages for the people but no one called or even came. I felt bad for the poor guy and if I did not already have one that was going to need my attention practically 24/7 when I brought her home I would have taken him. Those big brown eyes just made me melt.

Old 03-30-2007, 09:28 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,034,677 times
Gladys. Aww.
Well, yes, perhaps she's back in a less than perfect existance, but I guess it could have been worse. Well done, Ellie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs