Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 01:31 PM

1,311 posts, read 4,680,057 times

Advertisements

We have had our 10 wk old puppy for about 2 weeks now. She's sweet and fun, and she has all those puppy traits, like biting, jumping, and chewing. We're working on the chewing with lots of redirection and chewing toys, so that's under control (I think). The jumping is completely out of control. She jumps on every piece of furniture constantly. She can't get up on top (too small still) but it's causing havoc. The worst part is she's jumping all over the kids. They're 5 and 2, and they're handling it really well. The 5 year old has some authority, and says NO, pushing her down gently. The 2 year old just isn't big enough. Her front paws are cheek-height on him when she jumps. He tries to say NO, but she puts no stock in him, and I have to pull her off of him regularly.
I know she's got a ton of energy which we try to work off every day, but what can we do? We're planning on a puppy class soon, but any tricks that might help in the meantime? I feel bad for my kids, and my furniture!

Thanks for any help and/or advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 01:41 PM

821 posts, read 2,037,792 times
I'm going to be watching this thread very closely because i have the same problem.
I have a 14 week lab and he gets so excited he jumps on me all the time....
he used to do it to the kids alot 7 and 2 but a whole tons of NO's pretty much stopped that unless he's out of control excited... mostly he runs with my two year old and nudges him with his head which my two years old finds pretty funny... Just recently he figured out how to jump on the furniture... and I tell no not to jump up on me or guest or the furniture but nothing is stopping it... so thanks for posting the question - because hopefully it will also help me out... Good Luck...

What kind of dog do you have?

Old 04-07-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC JC Mom View Post
I'm going to be watching this thread very closely because i have the same problem.
I have a 14 week lab and he gets so excited he jumps on me all the time....
he used to do it to the kids alot 7 and 2 but a whole tons of NO's pretty much stopped that unless he's out of control excited... mostly he runs with my two year old and nudges him with his head which my two years old finds pretty funny... Just recently he figured out how to jump on the furniture... and I tell no not to jump up on me or guest or the furniture but nothing is stopping it... so thanks for posting the question - because hopefully it will also help me out... Good Luck...

What kind of dog do you have?
We can tackle this problem together, JC JC Mom! Not sure what kind of dog she is; she came from Animal Control. She's little and black. They said lab mix, but they say that about anything with ears!
Hopefully there will be lots of (or at least one effective) response!

Old 04-07-2009, 02:35 PM

737 posts, read 2,586,983 times
This is a great forum and you'll get a LOT of good advice. My 2 cents: with a 2 yr. old I can imagine the word "no" is a fairly regular part of your vocabulary. We use "hijinks" with our pack instead of "no"; due in part to the fact that we use "no" in our normal conversations and have found using the same tone with a different words imparts the desired response. We've also substituted other commands with different words so that nobody else can assume control (e.g. burglars might use "down" or "sit", we don't). This is only an issue for us because we live in a remote area but thought you might consider words that you don't use with the toddler (e.g. "no" and "down") and then a BUNCH of praise (dog and 2yr old) - good luck with all of your family members!

Old 04-07-2009, 03:27 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,011,903 times
Sounds like you need to do some "off" or "no" exercises with pup on a lead. With a lead you can control the dog's actions as soon as it jumps with a "no" or "off" as you pull it back. Teaching the dog "sit/stay" will help to give pup a proper posture for greeting folks. My dog is a jumper and we have to enlist friends to expect the jump greeting but raise a knee to keep pup at a distance as it jumps, at the same time commanding "no". I think it's best to teach sit/stay first to provide a positive command to counter the negative jumping.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:31 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,144,864 times
A few answers for you.

Dr. Dunbar Answers The Top F.A.Qs | Dog Star Daily

Old 04-07-2009, 03:31 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,934,251 times
Please, no 'pops' on the lead.

YOu can teach your dog NOT to jump on you without even touching him! In fact THAT is what you need to do:

When you come into a room with your dog, IGNORE him until he's got all four feet on the floor. Just turn your back. When he's got four feet on the floor, pet him, praise him, whatever, but the second that one of those feet leaves the floor, turn your back and IGNORE him again.

This works like a charm. The dogs catch on, REALLY quickly.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:47 PM

I will definitely start doing this, viralmd. What do I do about my little guys? The 5 year old can do that, but the 2 year old is just not there yet. I'm always close by when they're together, but.... help!

Old 04-07-2009, 05:08 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,934,251 times
Another thing you can teach your dog (and they can learn this at a VERY young age) is 'leave it!'

To do this get an IRRESISTABLE treat (chicken or cheese usually works and a teensy, tiny piece is fine). Kneel on the floor facing your dog. Put a piece of the treat between the two of you but be ABSOLUTELY READY to cover it with your hand almost immediately!!!!

As soon as the pup starts to move to the treat say, 'leave it!' in a HAPPY voice (the HAPPY voice is REALLY important - you don't want him to be afraid and you want him to think this is a GOOD thing) and COVER the treat with your hand. When he's sitting again (and DO have him sit - that's another lesson that's really easy to do WITHOUT pushing him down on his rump) uncover the treat. The nanosecond he moves to get the treat repeat the 'leave it!' and covering. He's going to catch on VERY quickly that 'leave it' means he can't have what's under your hand and he has to sit.

Don't expect perfection - when he leaves the treat for a second or two without you having to cover it, say, 'RELEASE!' and let him have that treat. DO NOT USE THE WORD 'OK' - it's used too often in every day speech! RELEASE is a much better term, because it's hardly every used in day-to-day conversations. Don't make lessons more than two minutes: dogs can't concentrate for much longer than that, especially puppies. And do help him to succeed and have the treats from time to time. Have a REAL party when he makes progress: lots of praise, LOTS of treats and rubs. If he has a really, really favorite toy, you can train using that, as well, but food is a first good target.

He'll get REALLY good at 'leave it' but just make his times 'leaving it' longer and longer. You'd be AMAZED at what a dog can do if he wants a tiny piece of chicken!

Old 04-07-2009, 05:40 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,067,241 times
I saw this on It's Me or The Dog the other day. When the dog jumps, fold your arms and turn your back on him/her.

Also teach sit ASAP.

Our dog is over a year (and also part lab) but the one thing the dog mastered very, very young is sit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs