Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 05:25 PM

30 posts, read 80,187 times

Advertisements

My dog (an 8 month old shar pei/lab mix) has developed some sort of blister or sty in the corner of her eye.

It developed suddenly (within an hour) while she was out at my parents' farm, so I'm thinking maybe she got poked by a bush or branch, or one of my parent's cats scratched her.

It isn't bloody at all, it's a white mass in the inner/lower corner of her eye...does anyone have any idea what it could be and/or what I can do to help?

I know shar pei's are prone to eye problems, but I'm not sure if any of them can onset this quickly.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 06:32 PM

242 posts, read 1,186,885 times
Default Dog has eye problem

You could take a clean cloth or paper towel and apply a warm compress. Some people would use boric acid that would have to be diluted in warm water and make a compress. My other cat years ago walked into something in the house, and I was so worried I took him to the vets She the Vet, gave me drops, later I read the ingredients to the drops, I could of SCREAMED, it had GENITMYCIN in it, that causes people to LOSE THEIR ABILITY TO WALK NORMAL. I couldn't believe the company who made this PUT IN ANIMAL EYE DROPS. I threw that junk away. NEVER USE ANY MEDICATION FOR A PET or a human being with GENIMYCIN I think that is the correct way to spell it. ANYWAYS if you are ALLERGIC to any of the " mycin" drugs, that includes CYPRO another dangerous drug with horrible side effects, YOU ARE ALLERGIC TO ALL MYCIN BASED DRUGS. I know this because I had to study about different drugs to protect my husband from the stupid doctors here.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:28 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,935,675 times
It is on the eyelid or on the eye, itself. If it's on the eyelid, warm compresses are fine (actually many dogs LIKE those).

If it's on the eye itself, get to a vet at the first possible opportunity. I have a pug, a breed that has a LOT of eye problems (because with no muzzle to protect the eyes they get lots of injuries, among other things) and I just put him in his carrier and get him to the vet right away - even without an appointment. Eyes should be seen ASAP by a vet when injured.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:36 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,145,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaP730 View Post
My dog (an 8 month old shar pei/lab mix) has developed some sort of blister or sty in the corner of her eye.

It developed suddenly (within an hour) while she was out at my parents' farm, so I'm thinking maybe she got poked by a bush or branch, or one of my parent's cats scratched her.
I would take your dog to the vet as soon as possible. Eyes are very delicate and a corneal scratch or any kind of injury to the eyelid will require preventative ointments or drops - i.e. to prevent any infection from taking hold.

Do NOT put anything that is not sterile near the dogs injured eye. This is a great way to put bacteria there that doesn't belong there and will only make matters worse. If the dog is uncomfortable and you think a warm compress might help, please use cooled boiled water, poured into something you've also sterilsed with boiling water - a tea cup is fine. Wash your hands well before going near the dogs eye and ideally, you'll have a first-aid kit around the house somewhere that you can find sterile gauze or cotton in. (If you use cotton, make sure no lint gets left behind.)

Old 04-05-2009, 08:05 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,119,084 times
Eye injuries can go from bad to worse very quickly, so if you have any doubt, always seek medical advice.

I'm almost wondering if you are describing cherry eye.....it's not life threatening and sometimes goes away on it's own. A warm compress helps and if it doesn't go away, it's a fairly quick and painless procedure to repair.

Here's a link to info about cherry eye and pics - is this what you are describing?
picture of cherry eye - Google Search

Whatever the problem is, I hope your pup has no permanent damage and recovers quickly.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:08 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,338,160 times
My dog had one on the bottom of his eyelid one time. We waited a couple of days to see if it would go away on its own and it did.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:34 PM

30 posts, read 80,187 times
It looked like the cherry eye pictures...but white instead of red. It also disappeared as quickly as it seemed to appear, which seems to fit the cherry eye description (that the 3rd eye lid can pop back in like it popped out). Thanks for all your help!

Old 04-06-2009, 08:12 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,444,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
It is on the eyelid or on the eye, itself. If it's on the eyelid, warm compresses are fine (actually many dogs LIKE those).

If it's on the eye itself, get to a vet at the first possible opportunity. I have a pug, a breed that has a LOT of eye problems (because with no muzzle to protect the eyes they get lots of injuries, among other things) and I just put him in his carrier and get him to the vet right away - even without an appointment. Eyes should be seen ASAP by a vet when injured.
Pugs have an issue where the eyelashes can grow inwards into the eye, which can cause pain and scarring.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:44 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,268,416 times
Take your pup to the vet ASAP...better safe than sorry

Old 04-06-2009, 11:53 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,935,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Pugs have an issue where the eyelashes can grow inwards into the eye, which can cause pain and scarring.
All breeds get this. It's called distichia (as opposed to entropion, where the whole eyelid is folded inward) and is simple to fix. NOT simple to fix are the hairs from the nose roll that can irritate the eye. It is painful, but it doesn't cause scarring, it causes something called pigmentary keratosis: starting at the nasal margin of the sclera (the white part of the eye), a brown pigment forms, which can spread laterally to obscure the pupil and rendering the dog blind. It's very common in most of the bracephalic breeds.

There are several treatments for pigmentary keratosis - the one most commonly used is cyclosporine (either ointment or drops, although the ointment has a longer therapeutic effect as it stays in the eye longer than the drops). Other immunosuppressive agents are also used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs