Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 08:39 AM

821 posts, read 2,039,275 times

Advertisements

Sdweisman - I agree that it is more benifical to show and explain that just like they dont want to be kicked they shouldnt kick the dog because it feels the same pain.

My daughter when she was about two or three would grab our Chi fur and pull it I would always say no to her, thats not nice. She wasn't getting it so one day when she did it to the poor dog I took her hair and pulled the way she would do it to the dog... She let out an ouch and she never pulled the dogs hair again... Kids sometimes cant put 2 and 2 together so as the adult we need to find creative ways to getting them to see that it hurts when you do certain things to the dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 10:59 AM

1,397 posts, read 4,847,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut Pam View Post
Are you sure that they were not using your dogs as a "testing ground" for them to see how the kids would react to dogs? It sure seems strange that they got a dog shortly after having harrassed poor Hef..??? If this is the case...I would definitely not ever let the dogs out when they visit..next time they will bring their new puppy over to test him out on Hef. Geesh.
They got the puppy a week ago. However, they had ANOTHER puppy that they "found" on the road two months ago. But the puppy "escaped"!!!That is what they say!!!

Old 04-02-2009, 11:02 AM

I forgot to add that they always have some puppies that "escape" after two weeks or so!!!

Old 04-03-2009, 06:45 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,106,165 times
okay first off never let those kids around your dogs again cause they show the animals no respect . when my boys were growing up I never allowed them to touch someone elses dog without asking if it was alright to pet him or her . Only if the owner said of course it is . did I allow them to pet . Never , ever should you pet or touch someone elses dog without getting permission from the owner . this is a firm rule with me and I never break it .

Old 04-03-2009, 08:38 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,082,182 times
This is why it is good if you can say no to people...say no coming over unless you follow my house rules.

It's your home...your dogs' house. People need to respect this and that means honoring your wishes when it comes to your dogs.

I would not allow anyone to hurt my dog..no matter how little they are...they would not be welcome back in my house.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:46 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,153,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastra View Post
This just happened...My mother-in-law's cousin came to visit us ( we live in my husband parents' house ), and he came with his wife and three little kids. They do not believe in discipline, so their kids do whatever they want. The kids range from 1.5 to 4 years. Anyway, after the parents and kids begged for us to let our dogs out, we did it. We stayed there with them.
Your first mistake was letting people like this in your home to begin with. YUCK.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-03-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Your first mistake was letting people like this in your home to begin with. YUCK.

20yrsinBranson
That's true. But like someone else said, it is not our house...We are just living in it...So we don't really get asked who comes and who doesn't...But I agree with you!!!

Old 04-03-2009, 12:51 PM

5,073 posts, read 4,738,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
okay first off never let those kids around your dogs again cause they show the animals no respect . when my boys were growing up I never allowed them to touch someone else's dog without asking if it was alright to pet him or her . Only if the owner said of course it is . did I allow them to pet . Never , ever should you pet or touch someone else's dog without getting permission from the owner . this is a firm rule with me and I never break it .
I agree. Would it be okay for a stranger to approach and then touch someone's child, even if just on the shoulder or arm? I think not. This would make most parents uncomfortable, or even angry. Permission to approach should always be requested, first and foremost, and any instructions to follow should then be respected.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollygolightly View Post
I agree. Would it be okay for a stranger to approach and then touch someone's child, even if just on the shoulder or arm? I think not. This would make most parents uncomfortable, or even angry. Permission to approach should always be requested, first and foremost, and any instructions to follow should then be respected.
I agree!!!

Old 04-05-2009, 09:09 PM

1,629 posts, read 3,478,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastra View Post
I forgot to add that they always have some puppies that "escape" after two weeks or so!!!

Wow. HUGE RED FLAG. I'm not just worried about your dog, I'm worried about anyone those kids encounter in the future. Not to mention the parents - YIKES!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs