Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 04:46 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,167,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyg View Post
My vet copied several recipes out of a cookbook they had there and also gave me some Canine Plus vitamins. I have been cooking a different recipe every night to see which one my dog likes the most and I just crumble up the vitamin into the recipe. That way I don't have to worry if she is getting everything she needs. I also bought some 3V Caps Liquid which is a concentrated fish oil, a source of omega-3, fatty acides plus additional Vitamins A,D & E. Now if I could just get a recipe for dry food. I have decided not to chance that either until they change the regulations on pet food.
Oh by the way, I bought the fish oil/omega 3 softgels.
What am I supposed to do with those? Open them and just pour the liquid or let them swallow it whole?

Fed Up in Ft Meyers had suggested I throw some of that fish oil on the cat that won't eat cat food. Guess what Fed.... He didn't buy it!!! I'm going to pull my hair out soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2007, 04:56 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,098,724 times
My vet had me start my doggie on AllerG-3 liquid. Yes, she has allergies but this is an Omega-3 fatty acid and supplement. It has vitamins A, D3 and E along with the fatty acids. Definitely a fish oil....but it's in a pump, so I just squirt some on her food once a day. The bottle shows how much to give according to weight. Next time I buy some, I'll probably buy it somewhere other than the vet's office! I found it online at http://www.amazon.com/AllerG-3-Liqui.../dp/B000N2VOU0 if you're interested.

I don't know if it's ok for cats...the bottle says for dogs!

Old 04-02-2007, 04:33 PM

489 posts, read 2,016,141 times
Default It is a frustrating problem, but . . . LOLOLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
Oh by the way, I bought the fish oil/omega 3 softgels.
What am I supposed to do with those? Open them and just pour the liquid or let them swallow it whole?

Fed Up in Ft Meyers had suggested I throw some of that fish oil on the cat that won't eat cat food. Guess what Fed.... He didn't buy it!!! I'm going to pull my hair out soon.

I bite a small hole into it and squeeze onto the cat FOOD! LMAO I am only clarifying this because not everybody here knows me, and they might think this is some new method OR I am some kind of crazy person. Read what you wrote about what I said to do with the fish oil, vpcats! ROFL

Well, vpcats, you can always take one capsule a day. It is said to help with mood and depression which may come in handy if this finicky cat doesn't straighten up soon! Like I said on another thread, Butterscotch is probably on a strict diet of pure protein . . . stir-fried wolf spider with a side of shoestring!

Old 04-02-2007, 05:37 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,167,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedUpInFtMyers View Post
I bite a small hole into it and squeeze onto the cat FOOD! LMAO I am only clarifying this because not everybody here knows me, and they might think this is some new method OR I am some kind of crazy person. Read what you wrote about what I said to do with the fish oil, vpcats! ROFL

Well, vpcats, you can always take one capsule a day. It is said to help with mood and depression which may come in handy if this finicky cat doesn't straighten up soon! Like I said on another thread, Butterscotch is probably on a strict diet of pure protein . . . stir-fried wolf spider with a side of shoestring!
hahahahahahaha... I just re-read. So I forgot one little insignificant word....
But us crazy folks understand ourselves purrfectly well, don't we!

Old 04-03-2007, 07:15 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,707,849 times
I get our all natural supplements from http://www.springtimeinc.com/

We use the Fresh Factors and Joint Health supplements.

They have horse, dog and people products, with a long list of natural things you can pick from. Advantage is that the amount to give is already calculated for you by weight of the animal. In addition, they get a multi vitamin/mineral for dogs. We started phasing out of our kibble (Solid Gold) before the recall, as I was interested in doing my own cooking for them.

The get both cooked and raw meat, though I understand that raw is better. I just worry about the salmonella, e-coli, etc. I do wash it really well, though.
I generally try to get the natural chicken, too. Around here it's called "smart chicken" - raised without pesticides, hormones, antibiotics. Sometimes I find nice beef on sale (nearing last sale date) and I'll buy that and cook it for use later, or serve it raw the same day since it's still fresh.

I talked to a dog person who feeds things like fish heads and whole fish (bones, scales and all), duck feet, chicken necks, innards and all kinds of gross sounding stuff. They shop in asian stores for all this. I don't think I'm going to go down that path any time soon.

Does anyone know whether dogs can digest pork? Years ago, a vet told me they can't, and I don't see pork as an ingredient on any foods (only pork item I've seen is pigs' ears for a chewing treat).

Old 04-03-2007, 11:56 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,379,820 times
Thanks to all for sharing such great info - keep it coming. Any favorites so far?

Old 04-12-2007, 08:05 PM

1 posts, read 3,705 times
I have read a lot of the messages on this page and this seems to be the place to get answers. I am very concerned not only about the food recall, but what I have read about what goes into commercial dog food. I am a bit scared to feed it to my girl. I just haven't been able to find recipes to use for her breed. She is a 4 year old Jack Russell Terrier about 13lbs. Does anyone have suggestions for her?

I will be going to the BARF websites in the mean time. Thank you in advance for your help!

Old 04-12-2007, 09:21 PM

Hi LUVMYGIRL - I have a Whippet and if you read through the various responses on this thread you will find your answer.

Do go to the BARF diet (which I had never heard of before until this thread). I am currently preparing my doggies food with fresh chicken and or lamb, veggies (no onions, potatoes, or corn) a little rice - cook well and don't forget the omega 3. My littel guy loves this. I also add some kibble and a little warm water.

This recall was a huge wake up call for me and certainly most of this country. I have learned a lot. Good luck!!

Old 04-13-2007, 11:35 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,052,656 times
The vet told me to give whole eggs to Spot, my GSP. At first, I cracked them and put them in his bowl. After I did this a few times, he figured it out. It was entertaining to watch too. Spot will do anything for treats. I use carrots, green beans, almost any vegetable. I think he likes this stuff because it is 'people food'.

Old 04-17-2007, 10:11 AM

For more information about the BARF diet, please visit this link:
http://www.barfworld.com/html/barf_d...specific.shtml

The one key thing I have noticed since going back to cooking my dogs food is the reduction in flatulence to almost nil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs