Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2013, 06:29 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,047,357 times

Advertisements

I've gotten an email about the numerous of dog treats they recalled recently and then another one today. I don't know what is going on, but it's time to make my own. I had to go to the Vet's office for some issues earlier and questioned her about homemade dog treats, and she gave me copy of recipes. I thought it was treat until I got my glasses on. I don't plan to cook [COLOR=green !important][COLOR=green !important]homemade [COLOR=green !important]dog [/color][COLOR=green !important]food[/color][/color][/color] for him (but maybe he would eat better if I did). There are certain ingredients that a [COLOR=green !important][COLOR=green !important]dog [COLOR=green !important]needs[/color][/color][/color] to have in their diet she told me. Can anyone tell me what exactly these are and where you purchase them~? Does a homemade rice with veggies need to have these ingredients or homemade [COLOR=green !important][COLOR=green !important]dog [COLOR=green !important]bones[/color][/color][/color]/treats~? The ingredients are:

potassium chloride
dicalcium phosphate
calcium carbonate

Most of these recipes calls for 1 and most call for all of these ingredients. I didn't think of asking her when I was there cause I don't plan to make the homemade [COLOR=green !important][COLOR=green ! important]dog [COLOR=green ! important]food[/color][/color][/color] since I don't eat meat (I'm vegetarian). Also, why vegetable oil~? Can't you use oil oil or grape-seed oil~?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 09:06 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
I am not judging whether dog treats are good or bad, everyone has to do what is best for them but we never buy doggy treats. Not that we don't give him treats or nummies as we call them, but we have decided it is cheaper and probably healthier to give him things like pieces of tomato or other raw veggies that he will eat (there are not a lot) also I will save the last piece of bread or tortilla, and give it to him over a couple of days. We do this with a lot of little things, we don't give him anything that is high fat.

Nita

Old 02-22-2013, 09:39 AM

3,605 posts, read 9,057,736 times
I've been making homemade treats for years, but don't add any odd ingredients.

Basically I mix black strap molasses, honey and mashed up bananas with some cinnamon and powdered ginger and baking powder, then I add oats, flax seed, whole wheat flour and a couple eggs to make a cookie dough. I roll it out, cut it into bite sized squares and bake at 375 until it's just firm to the touch. They freeze great so I just make a big batch every 6 weeks or so. It's a very forgiving and easy mix, I've added carrots, apple, parsley, sweet potato, peanut butter, whatever is in the fridge and dog safe.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I am not judging whether dog treats are good or bad, everyone has to do what is best for them but we never buy doggy treats. Not that we don't give him treats or nummies as we call them, but we have decided it is cheaper and probably healthier to give him things like pieces of tomato or other raw veggies that he will eat (there are not a lot) also I will save the last piece of bread or tortilla, and give it to him over a couple of days. We do this with a lot of little things, we don't give him anything that is high fat.

Nita
Thinking about what you posted here, and a friend of mine is like you and gives her dogs raw veggies like you. She thinks those flour based treats are not good for them. She shows her dogs, so she's particular in many ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
I've been making homemade treats for years, but don't add any odd ingredients.

Basically I mix black strap molasses, honey and mashed up bananas with some cinnamon and powdered ginger and baking powder, then I add oats, flax seed, whole wheat flour and a couple eggs to make a cookie dough. I roll it out, cut it into bite sized squares and bake at 375 until it's just firm to the touch. They freeze great so I just make a big batch every 6 weeks or so. It's a very forgiving and easy mix, I've added carrots, apple, parsley, sweet potato, peanut butter, whatever is in the fridge and dog safe.
Thanks for the idea recipes. I found so much online and there are tons. I just got another message about more recalls. This is like the 4th one I believe, and it isn't one or two treats being recalled. It is like 4-5 recalls on treats. It's happened with food I know in the past, but never treats that I remember.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:24 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
I don't feed any commercial treats. My dogs get real meat, or real cheese. They get the same cookies that my family eats (gluten-free).

I buy 5 pound bags of grated cheese and they are given a few shreds of that. For training treats, they get shreds of baked chicken.

You can buy graham crackers or cheerios for dog treats. Some dogs will eat raw carrots. Mine just shred carrots and leave little dots of orange all over my carpets. However, all the dogs adore those orange yams and cubes of yam make good dog treats.

My dogs don't get a lot of treats. They get good food, served in their own super dish. I dislike begging, so my dogs do not expect to get what teh people are eating until after dinner is over and the leftovers are place in their supper dish.

IMO, training treats should be high value, so beef heart, chicken, cheese, something really worth working hard to get, and beyond that, dogs don't need a lot of treats. Lots of no calorie hugs and ear rubs, no food.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:28 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Incidentally, my family has been laughing at the ads for the little waffle iron that makes 4 bone shaped dog treats.

Seriously?

If you want to feed the dog pancake batter, just make pancakes and cut them into pieces. Dogs genuinely do not care if their treats are bone shaped.

Old 02-23-2013, 12:36 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
Thinking about what you posted here, and a friend of mine is like you and gives her dogs raw veggies like you. She thinks those flour based treats are not good for them. She shows her dogs, so she's particular in many ways.

Thanks for the idea recipes. I found so much online and there are tons. I just got another message about more recalls. This is like the 4th one I believe, and it isn't one or two treats being recalled. It is like 4-5 recalls on treats. It's happened with food I know in the past, but never treats that I remember.
well she could be right, but our little boy seems to be just fine and he gets such a little bit. For instance, a tortilla will last him about 3 or 4 days...I might be just like her if we showed him, but our showing him, consists of showing him to our friends and telling them to be prepaed, he might just choose their laps for his next nap...

Oh, one thing our daughter gives or did when they were teething, her dogs, frozen sweet potatoes. Apparently they are very soothing on their gums and are filled all kinds of healthy things.

Oregonwood: Mr Sumo gets some to the same things you feed your kids. The cereal, like cheerios is a great idea.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:55 PM

I made him some treats last night since there has been so many recalls of treats lately. I'm not giving him treats daily or replacing his meal with it, so I think it is okay. Even the Vet okay-ed it. But she told me when I questioned her about cooking treats for him that they need specific vitamins/minerals. I was talking about treats and she thought I was talking about food. And she got me a copy of recipes with the specific vitamins and minerals that are included with the cooked recipes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs