Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 10:19 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,289,102 times

Advertisements

does anyone have one? Could you give me some feedback...good and bad! I have 3 dogs, one is a giant breed, and I was wondering if anyone had some advice to share!

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 10:36 AM

733 posts, read 1,931,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
does anyone have one? Could you give me some feedback...good and bad! I have 3 dogs, one is a giant breed, and I was wondering if anyone had some advice to share!

Thanks!!
I personally don't have one, but I knew someone who did, and he had two Rotties. I have to say it kept them in the fence! One was a full grown adult, and the other was about 6 months old.

I do think that part of it depends on the dog, If they are determined and are willing to suck it up, I think they can push thru that barrier with a good shock and then they are out.

I never felt completely good about those, so we actually fenced in our entire yard instead. It was VERY $$$$ (we have an acre) but I did it for more than just the dogs....

If that isn't an option, you may want to think of fencing in part of the yard for them when they are out, or you can even rent fencing. It may be a cheaper way to go.

Old 02-01-2009, 10:40 AM

13,981 posts, read 26,026,011 times
We have the Inotek underground fence, as do several of my neighbors. We installed it ourselves 3 years ago, and haven't had any problems with it. We have a golden retriever and a black lab, and both were very easy to train to the boundaries. Our yard backs up to woods, and deer frequent our yard. Even though both dogs love to chase them, neither one will cross the boundary. Once they hear that warning beep, they hit the brakes!

One of the tricks is to be consistent. Don't put the collars on '"sometimes", like one neighbor does. Her dogs are always leaving the yard, whether or not they have their collars on. They like their odds at not getting zapped I guess.

Old 02-01-2009, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
neither one will cross the boundary. Once they hear that warning beep, they hit the brakes!

One of the tricks is to be consistent. Don't put the collars on '"sometimes", like one neighbor does. Her dogs are always leaving the yard, whether or not they have their collars on. They like their odds at not getting zapped I guess.
I think that is REALLY key when using those fences, they HAVE to realize it will be a shock EVERY time they get near it..... Great point!

Old 02-01-2009, 11:37 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,289,102 times
Thanks! We had an underground fence at our old home and always kept it on the warning beep because my dog was such an obedient dog...can't say the same about the dogs I have now

I do not want to put in the underground fence here because we have an established yard and my house is on the garden tour this spring...maybe I will wait until after the tour to put anything in

Glad to know they work though. I was always concerned that without hardwiring it would not be as effective.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:48 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,316,237 times
Our neighbors back in NJ had one. Their dog hated it and would rather get shocked than stay in the yard. We heard the dog yelping all day long, as he ran from his yard to other yards and was shocked in the process. They even had a rep from the company come to show them how to use it to no avail. The dog didn't see an invisible fence and never learned to use it.

What you need to understand is that if you train your dog really well to never go near the spot where he gets shocked, you can be asking for trouble. Your dog won't leave the yard but that doesn't stop predators from coming in. Any strange dog or animal has free access to your yard and your well trained dog is basically prey at that point. That is why I would never use one.

Old 02-01-2009, 12:40 PM

13,981 posts, read 26,026,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Our neighbors back in NJ had one. Their dog hated it and would rather get shocked than stay in the yard. We heard the dog yelping all day long, as he ran from his yard to other yards and was shocked in the process. They even had a rep from the company come to show them how to use it to no avail. The dog didn't see an invisible fence and never learned to use it.

What you need to understand is that if you train your dog really well to never go near the spot where he gets shocked, you can be asking for trouble. Your dog won't leave the yard but that doesn't stop predators from coming in. Any strange dog or animal has free access to your yard and your well trained dog is basically prey at that point. That is why I would never use one.
The training portion of installing the fence involves placing flags around the perimeter. You shouldn't remove them until the dogs learns the boundaries.

I have read similar concerns about dogs being victims of other animals entering the yard, and if I had small dogs I might be concerned. I still supervise my dogs when they are outside though, and between the two of them, they are big enough, and loud enough, to deter interlopers.

Old 02-01-2009, 04:55 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,952,578 times
It won't stop a really determined dog from getting out, but it WILL stop them from coming back! Ihad a neighbor with one and her dog was always running the streets after any dog in heat. And as another poster said, it doesn't stop other animals from coming into your yard.

Old 02-01-2009, 05:07 PM

yeah, one of the reasons why having a fence and gate is really the best deterrent for both your pet and others.

We spent a whole lot of money to fence our yard in and put in a gate, but aside from keeping the dogs in, it keeps people and other animals out. That was one of the other reasons why we got a real fence........

Old 02-01-2009, 06:38 PM

138 posts, read 619,675 times
This was asked before and I responded on why I will NEVER own an invisible fence. My sister had one for her beagle. He was outside minding his own business when a guy walking his 2 dogs and the dogs saw my sister's beagle and went crazy. The guy could not control his dogs and before you knew it, his 2 dogs ran in to my sisters yard and attacked her beagle. They dragged him in to the street so all while he as being attacked, he was also getting shocked because he was out of "range". His ear was ripped off and he had 2 puncture wounds in his back that he had to have tubes put in to drain. He had to have 2 surgeries and tried to save his ear but they couldn't. So my point is, yes, you can control your dog from going out of the fence line, but you can NOT control what comes in. Please, PLEASE re-consider getting an invisible fence.

Last edited by pugluvr; 02-01-2009 at 06:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs