Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 04:52 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,219,720 times

Advertisements

My Yorkie now 5 years was neutered when he was just 3 mos old and he use to occasionally hump the cat, not just any cat just the male himalayan. He now tries to hump the spayed female weimaraner when she is laying on the floor of course.

I always heard it was a dominance issue, but I don't think that is true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 05:28 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,457,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella52 View Post
I don't think it matters if he's neutered or not. My dog is neutered (he is a shelter dog) and he still likes to do it when he's at the dog park or for that matter when he just meets other dogs, also doesn't matter if their male or female
The behavior will subside when the dog is neutered simply because he'll have less testosterone in his system and thus, less sexual frustration.

But with an older dog who has been intact longer, he learns that this behavior is pleasurable. So he might continue to some extent afterwards because he still thinks, "Oh, yeah, I remember how could all that rubbing used to feel!"

Old 01-31-2009, 05:38 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,498,032 times
Our lab was spayed as a young puppy. She humps the other dog, blankets, etc. Makes me crazy(er)!!!

Old 12-07-2018, 07:06 AM

1 posts, read 384 times
I have a ten year old neutered male Yorkie, and just adopted a 4 year old male Yorkie who was just recently neutered. The old dog began humping the new dog as soon as I brought him into the house. I have tried the “time out” method, but the old guy begins again as soon as he is allowed back into the room. The new dog does not seem to mind....does not snap or growl. How can I stop this. The old dog never has humped other dogs that we have had before.

Old 12-07-2018, 09:49 AM

98 posts, read 110,078 times
My neighbor's 9-yr-old Pomeranian humps her constantly. He also humps other dogs. A LOT. He was neutered many years ago. . . .

Old 12-07-2018, 01:16 PM

4,539 posts, read 3,763,301 times
Here’s this article on humping from the ASPCA:
https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/dog-c...d-masturbation

They list reasons and one of them is the dog being stressed in a situation and then it may become a habitual response every time the dog is stressed out if it isn’t addressed. They give advice on retraining the dog’s behavior.

Like you, my previous dog, neutered as a pup, was a serial bumper at the dog park. I quit taking him after a while for fear he was going to get hurt by the larger dogs he was doing it to. I didn’t think about trying to retrain him and I doubt the people at the dog park would have had much patience with that. No one likes their dog being humped.

At the time I thought it was dominance related to his dog aggression. I later realized it those behaviors were fear based. I learn with each dog.

Last edited by jean_ji; 12-07-2018 at 01:37 PM..

Old 12-07-2018, 08:13 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,551,923 times
The funniest thing I ever saw was when I was standing in a lineup to get on a ski tow a long time ago. Three male dogs were lined up in a row humping. They were moving along, so it looked like the two at the back were pushing the one in front. The whole lineup roared.

OP, can't suggest anything but hope it subsides after your dog gets neutered.

Old 12-10-2018, 01:50 AM

2,080 posts, read 1,608,691 times
My dog, who is 11 and not neutered, humps some other dogs occasionally (usually younger males); most often in the autumn. I don't mind at all, if (A) the owner of the dog being humped does not mind (I ask) and (B) the dog being humped does not appear stressed or physically likely to be hurt by my dog's actions, i.e. more physically fragile than my 26-lb. dog). Most of the dogs my dog goes far are larger and quite capable of throwing him off and then outrunning him.

If the owners object, or the other dog appears to be tiring or stressed in some way; I will leash my dog; it is the only way to stop him when he is in full, obsessive, humping mode.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs