Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 10:11 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,290,985 times

Advertisements

The age at which we neuter is really not an issue here. We are waiting to a minimum of 8 months, but more likely closer to the year. His humping is not sexual in nature, so the neuter has nothing to do with this. We're just wondering if there is any action we can take now since people are clearly pissed off that our dog is humping theirs. We personally wouldn't care, but then we're considered bad dog owners for letting him hump. I wonder if I should tell them to read the book ViralMD suggested...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 01:33 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,590,447 times
I know my brother had problems with Bruce (english bulldog) humping pillows and blankets and the love of his life which was a near life sized stuffed bulldog but I don't think he has ever been that interested in humping other dogs.

My Dash was already neutered when I got him at 1 yr and has never been into humping anything then suddenly a few months ago he starts trying to hump all his friends male and female at the park. I really don't get that as he is old about 12 now has nasal cancer and suddenly develops this issue. The group at the park are all friends so we all laugh at my dirty old man and all it takes is me saying " Dash" with a certain tone when I see him about to mount a buddy and he backs off. That radiation must have hit his brain!

Wish I could give you some advice but I have never owned a dog that was into humping the others until now that is!

Old 01-30-2009, 07:16 AM
nem

14 posts, read 45,563 times
This humping thing is an absolutely normal thing in dogs and is hardly always connected with anything sexual.
This is one of the means they use to show their social position in a group or pack.

My dog was never "keen" on humping but one of our friends - a Dobermann - humped absolutely every male dog he walked out with and some of my friends didn't want to walk out with him. It continued till he was about 1,5 and I think his motivation was to find out and show his status.
On the other hand I don't find the reasons of those who didn't want to walk with him quite good - dogs can and should settle everything up themselves.
He never did that on my dog though he liked to show his dominance to many other male dogs - though I see that my dog tries to keep a bit aside from him but once he growled at his attempt to hump him that one never repeated trying.

I understand that it is hard to persuade those people to understand it in this "dogs' way" but it seems to me to be a sound solution.

And you know - my dog is neutered now and I am so happy that I found out a zoopsychologist who helps me so much with her advice and instructions and now she even says that it would be a great achievement in the development of my dog's self-estimation if he started trying to hump some males of our walking pack.

Which he became doing the other day and which I was happy to observe...omitting many details 'cos it is a sign he begins to know his social value little by little.

Oh, sorry - I wrote such a long composition but dog topics always carry me away

Helen

Old 01-30-2009, 11:10 AM

I have visions of Chaucer humping the suitcase. That's too funny. If a dog happens to get away from Porkchop, he will stand there and hump the air. It's funny to watch, but I can tell people are less than thrilled. Maybe I should get him a stuffed Bulldog and see if he can get his humping out on that.

If he does this again (which I know he will) should I just remove him from the dog park? I don't want to punish him for acting like a dog, but at the same time, I don't want everyone to hate us because of this. He's the sweetest, most compliant dog in every other way except this.

Old 01-30-2009, 04:25 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,451,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
If he does this again (which I know he will) should I just remove him from the dog park? I don't want to punish him for acting like a dog, but at the same time, I don't want everyone to hate us because of this. He's the sweetest, most compliant dog in every other way except this.
I'm surprised that other dogs don't snap at him and put him in his place. That's usually what happens when a dog, particularly a puppy, is annoying and irritating. That's how dogs socialize.

I'd hate to see you take him out of the dog park. It's important for a young dog to be around other dogs.

Old 01-30-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
I'm surprised that other dogs don't snap at him and put him in his place. That's usually what happens when a dog, particularly a puppy, is annoying and irritating. That's how dogs socialize.

I'd hate to see you take him out of the dog park. It's important for a young dog to be around other dogs.
I wish other dogs would put him in his place, but their owners are so turned off by the behavior that they pull their dogs away. One guy yesterday was really cool and when I tried to get my dog off of his golden retriever, he said not to worry and she would let him know when she had enough. Sure enough, she let him know and put him in his place, which is what he needed. I wish there were more owners like that because I really want him to learn to stop this from other dogs, and not me.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:47 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,451,384 times
I do not think Porkchop's humping is play or dominance related. He is an intact male with testosterone raging through his body. He is sexually frustrated, and this humping is akin to masturbation. It's like a 12-year-old boy who has suddenly discovered what a little rubbing can do. I think the behavior will subside once he's been altered.

Now, some dogs do hump as a display of dominance. My female did this with puppies and submissive male dogs. But your little boy is not showing dominance. He is masturbating.

Last edited by Woof Woof Woof!; 01-30-2009 at 08:01 PM..

Old 01-30-2009, 09:48 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,011,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
I have visions of Chaucer humping the suitcase. That's too funny. If a dog happens to get away from Porkchop, he will stand there and hump the air. It's funny to watch, but I can tell people are less than thrilled. Maybe I should get him a stuffed Bulldog and see if he can get his humping out on that.
LOL, yep, or a bulldog-shaped suitcase!

He was such a funny dog. We miss him so much and talk about the crazy things he used to do. RIP, Chauc. Bet you're entertaining the angels in Heaven!

Old 01-31-2009, 10:39 AM

549 posts, read 2,205,918 times
It's simply not cute to have a dog that humps everything and everyone...have him neutered...that will often stop the problem.

Old 01-31-2009, 10:52 AM

9,718 posts, read 6,417,496 times
I don't think it matters if he's neutered or not. My dog is neutered (he is a shelter dog) and he still likes to do it when he's at the dog park or for that matter when he just meets other dogs, also doesn't matter if their male or female

Maybe like Viralmd said, that's the way they play...........I guess it's fun

Also, you might want to use a harness instead of the collar if he's vomiting when you pull him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs