Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 10:32 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,815,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
For those who say they would just never leave them in the car at all, what about when you're traveling alone?
See, sometimes there's not a lot of options.
I don't know what I'd do if the situation definately called for intervention and the police wouldn't respond.Does the Humane Society have any authority in a case like that?
It wouldn't be an easy decision to break someones window but how could you not,if the animal was showing signs of distress
I have to admit I can't say for sure what I'd do.
I'd do it, if I saw the animal in distress. I keep a brick in my car, just in case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 01:03 AM

10 posts, read 43,566 times
Better keep the number of a lawyer with you if you're going to go busting car windows. And maybe an arse-pad and a bullet-proof vest.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:44 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,169,323 times
Unfortunately, there are ignorant pet-owners. Some elderly, whose personal body temp is whacked, and some just stupid. You cannot leave a dog in a car with the windows cracked in 70+ temp in the sun for any time at all!!!!! Your car's an oven!

Lock yourself in a car with only windows cracked and see how long you last.

Happy...Couldn't you have been more sympathetic to the woman instead of carrying on with your tirade and proclaiming how high your IQ is? Are't you happy that someone cared enough about your pet to take notice?

Old 06-25-2009, 02:00 AM

10 posts, read 43,566 times
ssg II,

I knew you would be mad because I made you feel like am smarter than you. I am sorry about that. I wish you had proof you were smarter than most people like I do so you could feel smarter and you might act more intelligently by stopping the spread of this poisonous hysteria. Instead you reduce my arguement to a tirade about my IQ which is actually not at all what it was. I understand why you couldn't refute any of my real arguements, because none of them are incorrect.

The "concerned woman" interrupted my dinner by threatening me with the police when I had done nothing wrong. She was an unkind, finger-wagging, b*tch, not the sweet concerned citizen you are imagining to put me at a disadvantage in your mind's own simulation of the scene. "I think we'd better call the cops" is fighting words. Nobody does anybody a service by giving this kind of hysteria a free pass.

Are you perhaps the sort of person that said: "Don't you know that second hand smoke is killing people that work in restaurants?" Then you got your laws passed, and the 60-year-old ladies that worked in the smoky breakfast joint in my home town came to my table in the mornings crying because anti-smoking laws had ruined their livelyhoods. Now the smoky restaurant is closed and those ladies are on wellfare.

That really happened and if you laugh it off or ignore it, you ignore the problem with sticking your nose in other people's business.

You see: when you start concentrating on how other people run their private lives instead of running your own life, you become part of the tyranny of public opinion that is running roughshod over personal Liberty in this country during this dark time.

Any public policy that seeks to prevent potential crime rather than to react to an actual crime is an unacceptable burden on the innocent. Precisely because people make all kinds of outlandish assertions like "A car with the windows down at 70 degrees farenheit is an oven."

Just yesterday my dog was in a van (with tinted windows) at the temperature of at least 80 degrees with the windows cracked (including the rear vents) for about 40 minutes. I got back in the car, took the dog, who was happy and not panting, to the park, she ran around like crazy, I took her home, and she did not even run to the water dish. She is healthy and happy and at my feet this instant.

SO YOU ARE WRONG.

That is that. Your prediction, that my dog was at risk, has been proven false. Yet you would have called the cops on me to save a dog that never needed saving, and I would have become an innocent victim of your hysterical meddling in the public sphere.

72 degree or even 85 degree temperatures will not fry a dog that has adequate ventillation and shade, and in the long term, water. YOU ARE FULL OF CRAP ABOUT THAT. How do you think dogs that live outside survive the summer? Ever heard that song "99 in the shade?" That happens where dogs live.

The way to kill a dog in your car is to leave the windshield exposed to the sun and roll up the windows, then a greenhouse effect creates the ovenlike temperatures you are talking about.

Of course cars vary, dogs vary and judgement is needed.

I love my dog, I take her well being into account and consider it carefully, the matter is MY BUSINESS. The judgement is mine to make.

And that is the point.

In a free country, like this used to be, If a man or woman choses to take a risk within their own household, they are free to do so. It can only be AFTER something bad happens that the outside world looks in to see if the risks taken were too great for reasonable human beings to take.

Now-a-days reasonable people are almost nowhere to be found, and seatbelt laws, anti-smoking laws, public policy against metal playground equipment, laws against passengers in truck beds, shampoo inspection lines at airpot check-ins, DWI checkpoints that make the fourth ammendment meaningless, and now, laws against animals in cars, though well intentioned, are driven by a hysterical and counter-productive desire to live in a risk-free world.

The result is a triumph for the enemies of Liberty. It is time for the friends of Liberty to stop sleeping on the job. If you agree with me SPEAK UP!

Don't let the gibbering babboons carry out their Pygmaillion Project to turn us all into copies of themselves by means of legislation!

Stop looking for your big opportunity to be a hero and mind your own business or you will find out what it's like to be on the other end of that call.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:49 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Your dog does not need to be penned up in your car while you gallivant around. Leave it at your home--either outside where it has a chance to run free, or inside where it has a nice comfortable climate to rest in. Your house still has more room than your car.

I saw a dog that had gotten out a window of a vehicle, and it was struggling, choking on a leash the owner put on it so it couldn't run off. Real smart--why can't you just leave your pets home?

Old 06-25-2009, 04:25 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Your dog does not need to be penned up in your car while you gallivant around. Leave it at your home--either outside where it has a chance to run free, or inside where it has a nice comfortable climate to rest in. Your house still has more room than your car.

I saw a dog that had gotten out a window of a vehicle, and it was struggling, choking on a leash the owner put on it so it couldn't run off. Real smart--why can't you just leave your pets home?
And just what would you suggest when we travel back and forth to Florida every year? Leave the dogs at home?
I won't even go into why they may be with us at other times because I have the idea you just wouldn't understand it.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:33 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySysiphus View Post
ATTENTION BUSY BODIES!!!! My dog loves to ride with us in our van. If it is too hot, IN OUR JUDGEMENT, the dog stays home. If it is too cold, IN OUR JUDGEMENT, the dog stays home.

WE love our dog MORE than you do. She means more to me than anything. I do not need your help determining when it is too hot or cold for her to be in my van with the shade up or down with the windows cracked or rolled up.

IT IS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS.

In what way can it be said that I am living in a free country when I am eating dinner at a restaurant with my wife while the temperature is MAX 80 degrees and the time is 8:30 at NIGHT!, yet my dinner is interrupted by a table talking loudly about how they are going to call the cops because my dog is in my van.

The sun was LOW in the sky, the windows were geneously cracked the evening was COOLING, My dog was HAPPY and DOING FINE, as I could see from the window at my table, but in the opinion of a finger-wagging soccer mom my actions were those of a criminal that required the intervention of the autorities.

I rose to meet the woman's challenge and proclaimed before the dining room that the dog was mine, that the temperature was mild, and that the issue was absolutely NOBODY's BUSINESS BUT MINE.

She argued with me for quite a while claiming that the temperature was 90 degrees and that she had lost a dog by leaving it in the car.

But that was then and this was now. Her judgement in her situation had worked out to be wrong and her dog had paid the price. Dogs tend to die on HOT days in cars when the windows are up with no sunshade because of a greenhouse effect that makes the temperature rise to well over 100. No temperature even near 90 degrees was remotely possible in our van that night. IN MY JUDGEMENT. The woman disagreed,

Finally I left. My 11-pound little sweet dog was very happy and doing just fine. We took her to the park and she ran around like crazy, when she got home she didn't even take a drink. Such was the punishing, dog-killing heat.

I am very, very smart. I blow the top off of IQ tests. I don't expect that to make you like me, but please don't walk around assuming I need your help figuring out how to take care of my dog.

Mind your own business, America. Freedom is allowing adults to make decisions according to their own judgement and then live with the consequences.

My dog is mine and my dog is safe. Keep your busy body out of it!
Uh excuse me I want you to state this to the animal control officer and the sheriff when they are putting you in the back of a patrol car and hauling you to jail and then please explain it to the judge when he is telling you he is sick of ppl like you . we have a judge here that is no nonsense and he is not afraid to put an 85 yr old woman in jail for animal cruelty so what do you think would happen to you ? That is all good for you that you blow the roof off of IQ tests but if you go into court with the attitude you have , you will be under the jail .

Old 06-25-2009, 06:09 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,424,202 times
Very sad story about some show dogs who were left in a van with fans on but who died anyway b/c of the oppressive heat and humidity - am sure the dog handler as well as their owners wish she used better judgment and brought them in the house where it was more comfortable (the garage was hot and she thought they'd be OK in the van w/ the windows open and the fans on) - bad decision, what a shame.

Seven show dogs die after handler leaves them in van in Jefferson County - STLtoday.com (http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/stlouiscitycounty/story/191EDA28F711396D862575DF005870EC?OpenDocument - broken link)

Old 06-25-2009, 07:06 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
saw a bit about this on the news this morning, but did not realize it was less than 10 miles from my house........

we are in DAY NINE of a ridiculous heat wave..... temps in the mid-to upper-80's by about 9 AM..... to the upper 90's by the afternoon ..... and humidity is OFF THE CHARTS..... heat indexes are 105 or better...... its like walking into a steam sauna whenever you step outside..... i take bailey to her park at 7-7:30 in the EVENING and 2 nights this week, i have been a little worried about her overheating herself...... we have a couple of spots where she can access the river and she does go in there to cool off a bit before we continue on.......

i can NOT believe how STUPID this woman was....... and she was a PROFESSIONAL?!?!??!?!?! apparently, she normally kept these dogs in her garage and she thought that THAT was too hot...... sweet jesus.......

just can't fix stupid, i guess.......

Old 06-25-2009, 07:07 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,803,734 times
A little bit of common sense is all that is needed. I'll sometimes take my dogs on quick errands (gone for less than 10 minutes) if it is less than 75deg or so. Over that, I leave them at home. I had a incident the other day though that was impossible to avoid. I was on a road trip going back home. It was just me, my 2 year old daughter and my 2 dogs. My 2 year old had to go potty and I couldn't get to a bathroom quick enough. It was probably close to 90 out. I had to leave the dogs in the car with the windows and sunroof crack for about 5 minutes while I ran into McDs and got her cleaned up and changed. What should I have done? Left the car running with them in it? Risking somebody stealing my car and my dogs? If someone would have called animal control on me for that, I would have flipped out. The dogs seemed fine actually, it didn't seem to be very warm in the car when I got back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs