Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 01:41 PM

488 posts, read 1,554,509 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have a dog with Addison's disease?

Do you do the injectible or pill?

If you do the injections do you give them yourself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 01:57 PM

256 posts, read 736,133 times
Are you really certain the animal has the disease? I had one of my yorkies diagnosed with Cushings. Spent a fortune diagnosing etc. Took him to another vet and the dog does not have cushings!
I am always in for a second opinion with a vet that is not in it for the $ alone. Some one with a conscience.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:07 PM

Yes we had two separate vets confirm the diagnosis (one of them was NCSU vet school). So 3 vets and $2500 later (including Ultrasound and MRI as well as bloodwork) we are 100% sure it's Addison's disease.

We were misdiagnosed in the beginning with Renal Failure and Cancer.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:02 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,908,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBoyMommy View Post
Yes we had two separate vets confirm the diagnosis (one of them was NCSU vet school). So 3 vets and $2500 later (including Ultrasound and MRI as well as bloodwork) we are 100% sure it's Addison's disease.

We were misdiagnosed in the beginning with Renal Failure and Cancer.
Misdiagnosis is fairly common with Addison's because the symptoms are so varied. Sometimes you don't get a real diagnosis until the dog crashes, unfortunately. I know of a very young dog that was diagnosed with renal failure but the owner got another opinion. The second vet did the ACTH test and confirmed Addison's. (Kidneys are fine.) This particular dog is doing well on DOCP injections and prednisone. Shots are given by the vet tech at the clinic. Addison's is one disease that can be successfully treated and with good care and proper monitoring the dog can live a normal lifespan.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:17 PM

We were crying tears of joy that it was Addison's instead of Cancer. We really thought that we were going to have to consider Euthanasia so to find out that it was a treatable disease we were very happy.

Ours is currently on DOCP injections and prednisone. We went over all our options with our regular vet and they suggested buying the bottle of DOCP and either bringing it with us at each 25 day appointment for the injection or learning how to do it on our own. I think we could probably do it I just would like to get some opinions on that. Diabetics learn how to give injections so I figure it must be something you can do without a RN degree right?

Old 08-05-2008, 07:32 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,908,604 times
Quote:
We were crying tears of joy that it was Addison's instead of Cancer. We really thought that we were going to have to consider Euthanasia so to find out that it was a treatable disease we were very happy.

Ours is currently on DOCP injections and prednisone. We went over all our options with our regular vet and they suggested buying the bottle of DOCP and either bringing it with us at each 25 day appointment for the injection or learning how to do it on our own. I think we could probably do it I just would like to get some opinions on that. Diabetics learn how to give injections so I figure it must be something you can do without a RN degree right?
You can definitely learn to give injections. We once had a kennel and we gave our dogs many routine vaccines. The vet or a tech will show you how, and you can ask them to monitor you the first time to make sure you don't have a problem. It's really not difficult to do and it will both save you time and be less stressful for your dog.

Go for it!

Old 10-13-2009, 08:15 AM

5 posts, read 20,055 times
Quote:
Does anyone have a dog with Addison's disease?

Do you do the injectible or pill?

If you do the injections do you give them yourself?
I use DOCP, with a tiny amount of prednisone. I go to a really cheap vet for the innoculations. I was actually paying $85 per month for the shot and pills before I read how to cut this cost down to $45 a month. I followed the advice in Kenrose's book Addison's Disease in Dogs (it's on Amazon), and I'm glad I did as that $85 a month was getting a bit stifling.

The shots at the vets work out cheaper than buying the stuff an injecting it myself ($64 vs. $45). That is, I assume because the vet can bulk buy at a dicsount.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:28 AM

399 posts, read 2,253,174 times
My best friend's dog is on oral medication and replacement salt daily. Doing great for 7 years now.

Old 10-13-2009, 01:09 PM

48,115 posts, read 21,994,714 times
Our Westie has had Addison's Disease for the past 7 years; she is 15 years old. She gets an injection every 3 weeks and takes pregnizone daily. This past year has been a bit tough getting her medication regimen adjusted and she has had more episodes....but right now is stable.

Due to her advanced age she has pretty much lost her eye sight and hearing and sleeps most of the day.....but she seems to be happy and content and to enjoy her much reduced activity level. She is still the alpha dog in our 2 dog household.....heck she is pretty much alpha over me too.

We love her to pieces and will support her as long as she lives.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:36 AM

5 posts, read 20,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Due to her advanced age she has pretty much lost her eye sight and hearing and sleeps most of the day.....but she seems to be happy and content and to enjoy her much reduced activity level. She is still the alpha dog in our 2 dog household.....heck she is pretty much alpha over me too.

We love her to pieces and will support her as long as she lives.
That makes my heart go all gooey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs