Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 02:15 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,978,830 times

Advertisements

Help for Addisons Dogs, Yahoo support group

AddisonDogs_ : AddisonDogs_
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 05:51 AM

1 posts, read 2,690 times
I have a 15 year old Jack Russell Terrier who was diagnosed with Addisons at the age of 11. He is currently on 0.3 fludrocortisone (Florinef) and .25 of prednisone daily. He is happy, healthy, and doing great! I found a compounding pharmacy that prepares his pills for me for 35.00 for a two month supply and ships them to my door. Mod cuthave been a wonderful resource for us while learning more about Addisons and providing proper care and diet for Spike!

Last edited by Viralmd; 12-30-2009 at 06:08 AM.. Reason: No recommendations from members with fewer than 10 posts.

Old 05-01-2010, 06:03 AM

1 posts, read 2,550 times
My Irish Water Spaniel was diagnosed with Addisons beginning of March 2010. He was in crisis and given the treatments and responded immediately. He gets a percorten-v shot every 25 days. The first month he was also on prednisone. He was taken off of it March 29. About 2 weeks later he started losing his hair and it is now coming out pretty bad. Vet says it was the prednisone and it will reverse itself. I believe her but am wondering how long this will last. I am so afraid he is going to become bald. Has anyone else had this experience? And if so, how long was it before they stopped losing hair and growing it?

Old 05-02-2010, 06:46 PM

399 posts, read 2,253,055 times
My best friend's dog is maintained on florinef and salt on his food. His coat has GROWN thick and crazy, never thinned.

Old 05-03-2010, 04:13 PM

501 posts, read 1,295,859 times
I have a senior citizen here too, 15 years old, and I well know the feeling of being thankful that a disease is treatable, and not life ending.

While I haven't had to inject my dogs myself, we did have our vet show us how to give shots to our horses, and we do our own horse vaccinations for years. I do know from my experience with our dog that anything we can do for him here at home is much less stressful than going to the clinic for it (sometimes, it can't be helped, of course).

So glad you are getting some more time with your older dog - they are just so precious.

Old 11-11-2010, 04:47 AM

1 posts, read 2,333 times
My Lab Olly has just been diagnosed the other day with Addison's. He was admitted and is now with us on FlorineF and Prednizone for the time being.
He's still really dosile and is shaking/twitching/shivering quite a bit. Is there anything that we can do to get rid of this? Will he be back to normal (ever?)

Old 02-08-2013, 09:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,789 times
My St Bernard has been diagnosed with Addisons as well. She is on Prednisone and Percortin and doing great. She is not quite 2 years old and was diagnosed 90 days ago. My concern is that I read everywhere the dog should have an injection approx. every 25 days. She is now on 36 days and her blood work numbers are still very good. My vet wants to establish the timeline need for injections. Has anyone else run into this?? At $180 a bottle I want to give her everything she needs but not anymore as the cost for percortin is outragious.

Old 10-07-2017, 08:24 PM

5 posts, read 4,649 times
Percorten goes by the weight of the animal and is expensive. My dog is on a 30-35 day schedule now. You can push it out a few days each month and see how your dog does with that schedule. I find we can go out 5 weeks in warm months, but colder have to stay at 30 days. We also give 1.5mg of prednisone a day.

Old 10-07-2017, 08:27 PM

5 posts, read 4,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danieltang16 View Post
My Lab Olly has just been diagnosed the other day with Addison's. He was admitted and is now with us on FlorineF and Prednizone for the time being.
He's still really dosile and is shaking/twitching/shivering quite a bit. Is there anything that we can do to get rid of this? Will he be back to normal (ever?)
You should ask about percorten because he should NOT be shaking anymore!!!

Old 12-07-2018, 06:36 PM

1 posts, read 607 times
Should I give her gaterade because she is very weak? She has Addison we think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs