Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2024, 07:13 PM

3,606 posts, read 9,071,478 times

Advertisements

My boy, Forrest did go to a canine oncologist. He had a tumor on his spine that was eating through the bone, we were trying to find the cause but when we discovered it was nasal cancer that was throwing tumors throughout his body it was far too late to help at all. My advice is if it can be removed and you can enjoy some quality of life with your pup and have the financial means to do so then go for it but if it has spread and surgery isn't and option spoil your pup, get a good supply of pain killers and cherish every moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2024, 05:50 AM

1,344 posts, read 1,378,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
Has anyone here taken their dog to a canine oncologist?

We've taken two dogs to canine oncologists. The first was for a too-late discovered tumor on the dog's soft palate (waaayyy in the back of his mouth -- and he was a slow eater anyway, so we did not realize he was eating EVEN MORE slowly until too late). For that dog, we just went into palliative care mode and he lived another 6 weeks or so.

The second dog had early-stage multiple myeloma (caught on blood-work taken for a different reason), and we managed that with medications for another 6 years or so. In the course of that dog's treatments, we moved to a different city and then the first canine oncologist in the new city closed his practice after a few years, so she saw three different canine oncologists in all. Poor sweetie.

Old Yesterday, 09:44 PM

1,844 posts, read 823,274 times
Quick Update: We found another, long-time vet in the area who examined our girl & is going to remove the melanoma in 2 weeks. He said next step would be lymph node biopsy for metastasis but doesn't feel it's needed now, as melanoma on eyelid of dogs is usually not malignant, as it is with melanomas in the mouth & on feet.

This is more in line with what I was thinking. I don't know why the other vet just skipped over this step & referred us directly to a canine oncology clinic. She's 10 years old & has been through a lot. I want her to continue to lead her best life with us with as little stress & invasive procedures as possible.

Thanks to all who responded & I hope this thread can help someone in the future.

Old Yesterday, 09:49 PM

15,542 posts, read 7,571,500 times
We took one dog to a canine oncologist after she developed a mass on her abdomen overnight. She was diagnosed with hemangiosarcoma, and the oncologist said that in 20 years not one dog with that cancer lived very long. She died a few weeks later.

Another dog was diagnosed with lymphoma. We went to the same oncologist, who treated her, and she lived another 2 years.

Old Yesterday, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
We took one dog to a canine oncologist after she developed a mass on her abdomen overnight. She was diagnosed with hemangiosarcoma, and the oncologist said that in 20 years not one dog with that cancer lived very long. She died a few weeks later.

Another dog was diagnosed with lymphoma. We went to the same oncologist, who treated her, and she lived another 2 years.
Thank you for sharing that. I lost a dog to lymphoma in 2009. It was fast & aggressive & she didn't have a chance. She was also a rescue who had been abused but had just blossomed with us so it was pretty devastating.

Old Today, 05:40 AM

3,077 posts, read 2,418,175 times
I had a dog with oral melanoma. Tried chemo, but he couldn't stand it. I put him on a grain-free dog food and gave him Chinese herbs--reishi(?) mushrooms and astragalus among them. The vet predicted he'd live three months; he lived a year. He had a few surgeries to remove tumors. When the time came that he didn't feel good, I had him put to sleep.

Old Today, 06:43 AM

2,004 posts, read 967,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
melanoma on eyelid of dogs is usually not malignant

Maybe I'm missing something. Did your first vet call it melanoma or something? Because all melanomas are malignant. Did you mean tumor, not melanoma?

Old Today, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
Maybe I'm missing something. Did your first vet call it melanoma or something? Because all melanomas are malignant. Did you mean tumor, not melanoma?
I meant to say metastatic, not malignant, sorry. I was really exhausted when I posted. The cytology report stated melanoma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs