Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2024, 12:33 PM

37,659 posts, read 46,092,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Why do people make anything up on the internet? Attention maybe? Because they can? I don't know why. But if there is one thing we should have learned by now it's don't trust everything you see on the internet. There's a lot of pretty creative and talented people out there. Not all of them are doing good things with that talent.
LOL!! I didn't say anything about anything else on the internet. I was talking specifically about this one thing. It does not take much to read through the discussion and view the pics he posted. It appears to be genuine. It would be silly to dismiss every single thing - is that what you do, simply because there is a lot of garbage and nonsense out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2024, 12:44 PM

1,992 posts, read 956,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
I clicked your link and got tons of overlappng ads that pushed me to another website.

It's known for being a clickbait rag. I don't know why people keep posting stories from places like this and the Daily Mail when many articles aren't completely truthful.

Old 04-30-2024, 12:51 PM

14,553 posts, read 12,192,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
LOL!! I didn't say anything about anything else on the internet. I was talking specifically about this one thing. It does not take much to read through the discussion and view the pics he posted. It appears to be genuine. It would be silly to dismiss every single thing - is that what you do, simply because there is a lot of garbage and nonsense out there?

While we would all be better off if we started out skeptical, I don't dismiss every single thing. I do dismiss things that don't look or sound right. Vitiligo, reported on actual medical and veterinary sites, involves loss of SKIN pigment, that can also involve hair pigment. The pictures in the story are of completely black skinned dogs with varying hair color. Since hair color is pretty easy to change, either in real life or in pictures, and the pattern doesn't look like actual cases of the disease, I'm skeptical. And I've also invested all the time I am going to invest in this... It really doesn't matter one way or the other, except in mentioning the value in learning to be a little more than skin-deep in our observations.

Old 05-01-2024, 06:43 AM

4,893 posts, read 3,315,942 times
Quote:
While we would all be better off if we started out skeptical, I don't dismiss every single thing. I do dismiss things that don't look or sound right. Vitiligo, reported on actual medical and veterinary sites, involves loss of SKIN pigment, that can also involve hair pigment. The pictures in the story are of completely black skinned dogs with varying hair color. Since hair color is pretty easy to change, either in real life or in pictures, and the pattern doesn't look like actual cases of the disease, I'm skeptical. And I've also invested all the time I am going to invest in this... It really doesn't matter one way or the other, except in mentioning the value in learning to be a little more than skin-deep in our observations.

Or maybe fur-deep.

Old Today, 06:42 AM

61,888 posts, read 87,385,514 times
Naysayers - why don't you post a legit link to a statement that this story is fake??

Old Today, 11:14 AM

37,659 posts, read 46,092,359 times
Quote:
You didn't look at the right pics then.

https://www.reddit.com/r/aww/comment...-dog-vitiligo/

"the value in learning to be a little more than skin-deep in our observations."
Which I know well. I probably spend more time looking up crap that people post than anyone else here.

Old Today, 03:21 PM

14,553 posts, read 12,192,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
You didn't look at the right pics then.

https://www.reddit.com/r/aww/comment...-dog-vitiligo/

"the value in learning to be a little more than skin-deep in our observations."
Which I know well. I probably spend more time looking up crap that people post than anyone else here.
I did... I see no patches of pink skin in those pics of this dog.

I don't have the expertise, time or resources to prove this one way or the other, I just think it's fair to note that this dog doesn't look anything like any of the other pictures I've ever seen of this malady. If you look it up on veterinary or medical sites or google it, the color loss does usually appear in particular patterns that don't look like this.

Take my opinion on this for the value you paid for it. After all, it's just opinions on a forum. So... I might add, is the OP's post from Reddit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs