Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2024, 07:37 AM

7 posts, read 2,646 times

Advertisements

My warmest greetings to everyone here! I'm in a real bind and need some advice:
My husband and I have two french bulldogs, Pierre and Chloe, who are 3 and 5 years old. They're like our children, and we've never left them with anyone before.
We're heading to Germany in November for my college buddy's brother's wedding in Cologne. We didn't want it much, but haven't been on a vacation for a while and it would be super rude to refuse the invitation, so we gotta go. Are we bad doggy-parents now?
Taking the pups on the plane is out of the question - it would be way too stressful for them. And honestly, I'm not comfortable with the idea of a pet hotel either. Ideally, we'd like to find someone who can either stay at our house with them or take them into their home and provide 24/7 care. My biggest concern is how to prepare Pierre and Chloe for this separation. They're so attached to us, and I'm worried about them being anxious or depressed while we're gone. Any tips on how to make this transition easier for them?
Also, any general advice on finding a trustworthy sitter or boarding situation would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2024, 10:28 AM

636 posts, read 402,095 times
I'm almost in the same boat as you. My miniature poodle has been with me 24/7 since I got her and she's a velcro dog for sure. I'm going overseas in August to visit my family for the first time in years and already I'm anxious about our separation.

In my case my b/f is moving in and looking after her while I'm gone, so I know she'll be well taken care of, but I know she will miss me (as I will miss her). I think your best bet would be to ask a good friend or family member to stay at your house while you're away so that at least your pets would be in familiar surroundings, rather than staying at someone else's house. Failing that, have you checked out Rover or if you got them from a breeder would they board them for you? What about your vet? Would he/she have recommendations for you?

When you identify a solution then you could do "trials" where the carer would take them for 24 hrs at a time while you and your husband spend time away from them. The separation is going to be hard for them and you and I can sympathize!

I'm sure other posters will have other ideas for you, but that's all I've got for now .

Old 04-12-2024, 11:19 AM

557 posts, read 351,748 times
Perhaps a family member or friend that would agree to staying in your home and caring for your pets would be a good idea.

If you want to kinda test the situation ahead of time then perhaps stay in a hotel overnight and have the person stay in your home with the dogs and see how well that goes.

Also, many of the dog kennels/dog camps now are much nicer. My friend recently researched kennels/dog camps.

Anyway, some were better than others, they were glad they went to different kennels/dog camps and checked out the places.
They found one they really liked that had a large outside area for the dogs to run around and employees to pet and play with the dogs. Other kennels didn’t provide as much outside time or petting and playing time with the dogs.

Also, they said they have separate areas for the small dogs.

Old 04-12-2024, 03:09 PM

23,369 posts, read 18,968,084 times
The trip isn't until November? You have time to teach your dogs how to spend time away from you, so start.

IMHO it's a disservice to any dog to never leave them alone. They don't learn how to handle independent time away from one or two loved ones. In a way they become even less socialized and less healthy emotionally. I don't think treating a dog like some sort of human baby all its life is fair. They aren't human babies. They are adult dogs. We should allow them that. When you think about it good parents don't treat their human children like that do they? They use babysitters, teach them to leave home to attend school, daycare, spend time with friends or relatives, whatever.

But this is all moot...you did what you did. There's ample time to change it. I am not suggesting you start ignoring your beloved dogs, just that you gradually prepare them to trust and spend time with someone other than YOU and to spend some time just with themselves for company. They can learn to feel more confident in themselves. Confident dogs feel secure and are more likely to take change in stride when something does happen. This can be done. You should enlarge their trusted family circle. They'll be better off. Heck, they may LOVE the chance for more friends and expanding their social lives! The next time you find yourselves needing to leave them home it might not be on your terms and it could happen on very short notice. Your dogs will be more likely to take it in stride.

If you have family, a friend or neighbor who would be willing to dog sit for you fine. This doesn't need to be someone who is at your house 24/7, but someone who comes by to feed, walk, spend some time with them each day. Even that will be quite a commitment and/or imposition on people who already have their own lives. More than that may not even be necessary. Remember, your dogs have always had and will have each other for companionship 24/7, right? You could also consider having your dogs spend time at someone else's home...so get them used to another dog that happens to live there by arranging play dates in advance. They might have a great time together with the right fit.

If you don't have a friend, neighbor, or relative who could do this, ask other dog people you know if they use any of the local pet sitting services. Ask your vet, a pet supply you know or trust for recommendations for licensed trusted services. Interview them. Have them meet and spend time with your dogs. They may love the person and the person may love your dogs once they get to know each other. For all you know your dogs might love their little vaycay.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-12-2024 at 04:26 PM..

Old 04-12-2024, 08:55 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,345,126 times
TAKE THEM WITH YOU... https://www.bing.com/search?q=Trip+t...1504ca&pc=HCTS

Old 04-15-2024, 12:46 PM

2,081 posts, read 1,610,676 times
If you know of a really nice and responsible dog boarding facility not too far away, try boarding the dogs there for two days in preparation. Maybe do it a few times before November. Make sure that the kennel owners/caretakers have 7-day access to a vet and would be willing to take the dogs there if needed. Also, the kennel should be connected to the home, or physically very close to it. (if, God forbid, there should be a fire or flood, the closer the people, the quicker they can get to the dogs). And the caretakers must spend some time with the dogs other than feeding and cleaning up after them.

I've had very good luck with a boarding facility I've used for about 13 years, first for my dog (who passed away two years ago) and more recently my young cat.

Old 04-16-2024, 08:54 PM

7,388 posts, read 4,169,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraWilson13 View Post
My warmest greetings to everyone here! I'm in a real bind and need some advice:
My husband and I have two french bulldogs, Pierre and Chloe, who are 3 and 5 years old. They're like our children, and we've never left them with anyone before.
We're heading to Germany in November for my college buddy's brother's wedding in Cologne. We didn't want it much, but haven't been on a vacation for a while and it would be super rude to refuse the invitation, so we gotta go. Are we bad doggy-parents now?
Taking the pups on the plane is out of the question - it would be way too stressful for them. And honestly, I'm not comfortable with the idea of a pet hotel either. Ideally, we'd like to find someone who can either stay at our house with them or take them into their home and provide 24/7 care. My biggest concern is how to prepare Pierre and Chloe for this separation. They're so attached to us, and I'm worried about them being anxious or depressed while we're gone. Any tips on how to make this transition easier for them?
Also, any general advice on finding a trustworthy sitter or boarding situation would be greatly appreciated!
Ask your vet for recommendations where to board them or a reliable sitter.

Ask your vet for how to help your dogs to adjust to this situation and perhaps recommend an anti-anxiety med.

My vet recommends a special food so my dog won't get stomach bugs from anxiety. I got my pet sitter recommendation from the shelter where I adopted her.

Have a nice trip!

Old 04-18-2024, 09:53 PM

30,395 posts, read 52,006,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Why? They deserve a trip by themselves, and the dogs would likely be miserable - not to mention, taking a brachycephalic dog on a plane (especially if they end up having to go in cargo) is NOT a good idea. They have enough trouble breathing as it is, poor things, and the oxygen on a plane is even worse.

What are they gonna do? Literally never leave their dogs alone for the entirety of their lives? That simply isn't feasible or healthy for any of them. As Parnassia said, people who treat their dogs this way are doing them a disservice; they might think it's loving and spoiling, but it's really making them co-dependent anxious pups. Imagine if you had a child who'd never spent a night away from their parents until college. They'd be screwed up lol.

OP: When I go away, I have a trusted friend who stays at my house with the critters. They're perfectly fine, but then again, I've always traveled freely + work full-time outside of the home. So my dogs are used to being without me, and handle it great. I also have a sitter who lives near me, and takes them for one day/week to have play dates. So when my friend can't stay over, they go to the sitter's house instead. Do a trial night between now & then, as was suggested above.

Old 04-21-2024, 04:22 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,233,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Why? They deserve a trip by themselves, and the dogs would likely be miserable - not to mention, taking a brachycephalic dog on a plane (especially if they end up having to go in cargo) is NOT a good idea. They have enough trouble breathing as it is, poor things, and the oxygen on a plane is even worse.

What are they gonna do? Literally never leave their dogs alone for the entirety of their lives? That simply isn't feasible or healthy for any of them. As Parnassia said, people who treat their dogs this way are doing them a disservice; they might think it's loving and spoiling, but it's really making them co-dependent anxious pups. Imagine if you had a child who'd never spent a night away from their parents until college. They'd be screwed up lol.

OP: When I go away, I have a trusted friend who stays at my house with the critters. They're perfectly fine, but then again, I've always traveled freely + work full-time outside of the home. So my dogs are used to being without me, and handle it great. I also have a sitter who lives near me, and takes them for one day/week to have play dates. So when my friend can't stay over, they go to the sitter's house instead. Do a trial night between now & then, as was suggested above.
Agree with Gizmo - as the OP has already deduced, this isn't really a feasible option, especially considering the trip is to Germany. If it was one state away and they could drive, maybe. But a flight to Germany would be way more stressful than staying at home with a friend or family member of OP's.

Old 04-25-2024, 01:23 PM

6,568 posts, read 8,415,072 times
Start looking for a sitter now. I found a good sitter through Rover.com.

Between now and November, have them spend time with that sitter gradually increasing the amount of time. Start out with arranging for the sitter to give them walks, playtime and feed them breakfast/dinner. Then have them stay with (or the sitter stay at your house) overnight then a weekend and then maybe even a week.

IMO, it will be less stressful for them for the sitter to stay at your house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs