Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2024, 08:32 AM

11,411 posts, read 5,960,793 times

Advertisements

I am for the "short leash" group myself.

I never understood the use of long retractable leashes. Invariably, the dog walks ahead until the leash is fully extended and then just stays that distance ahead of the person. It doesn't change how fast the dog is able to walk but just puts them 20 feet ahead of the dog walker What is the point?

Keep them on a short leash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2024, 09:17 AM

15,398 posts, read 7,464,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
I'm using a retractable leash I bought at Dollar Tree 3 or 4 years ago, for my 45 pound dachshund that, I think could break the 2 minute mile if let loose. lol I agree with letting it drag the ground is the main problem.
45 pound dachshund? That's a monster! Did you mean 4.5 pound? A 45 pound dachshund would probably intimidate our 65 pound Malinois.

For the Malinois, we use a 6 foot climbing rope leash for walks in the neighborhood and a 20 foot biothane long lead for training in the back yard. I love the biothane long lead. Far easier to control than a retractable leash, super strong, and easy to clean.

Old 03-16-2024, 12:30 PM

12,374 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I've walked several dogs (35 to 50 lbs) using the same retractable leashes I bought years ago. None broke as you describe. Part of it may be because I don't extend and lock the leash so it drags on the ground, I keep even tension on it using the retractor mechanism. Some sections end up fraying because the dog would wander in and out of roadside bushes, but it never got so bad the leash broke. I repaired frayed spots promptly so it would still retract smoothly.

You might try the same: when I noticed a fraying spot, I reinforced the weave with permanent fabric glue. It smoothed down the frayed bits and didn't interfere with retraction because the glue gets absorbed into the weave and remains flexible. Once or twice I've added some reinforcing stitches with heavy duty poly thread.
Yes, I used to use a large FlexiLead on my 62lb German Shepherd, who could really pull, and she didn't break it. Like you say, it's the handler's job to keep the leash tight - if the dog comes towards you, press the button to take up the slack while they move - easy peasy. I did break a 6ft cotton lead with her once, but then I bought a 6 ft heavy nylon strap lead that could probably hold at least 500lb, and that thing never needed replacement.

Old 03-18-2024, 05:54 AM

3,287 posts, read 9,183,864 times
Please, please DO NOT buy a retractable leash. As far as my sister who is a veterinarian is concerned, they should be made illegal to even sell.

They are dangerous to both dogs and humans. Dogs can get too far away. For humans, they can break and snap back causing amputation of limbs.

Get a 6ft leash. It’s plenty long enough.

Old 03-18-2024, 01:26 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
We were warned against retractable leashes when we went to puppy training classes with First Dog back in the 1990s. We actually have a long (20'?) nylon leash at our property in North Idaho that we slap on Tribbles (Shepherd-Sheltie) when we do the rounds on our 5 acres, because she gets distracted by all the exciting smells and disappears into the woods, but we're doing the "retracting" ourselves. Sure, we have to extricate her from branches and bushes, but it's better than being worried sick, waiting two hours for the queen to return home because she's thirsty...Little Guy (Jackhuahua) doesn't need a leash on those walks. He stays with us, and is essentially terrified of the wild .

Otherwise it's 6' leashes for both dogs when walking them outside of our property, a thick one for Tribbles and a thin one for Little Guy. They are both of the old thick weave quality that you can't buy anymore, a legacy from beloved dogs who have passed.

Oh, about leashes causing amputation: One of my mother's friends, a phys ed teacher, was walking her two Goldens, and had their leashes wrapped around her hand for better control. One took off after a rabbit, and the leash squeezed and snapped her fingers. She had to have two fingers amputated! Every time I'm tempted to shorten the leash by wrapping it around my hand, I think of my mother's friend from 50 years ago. What a lesson!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs