Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2024, 09:10 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times

Advertisements

Our Mini-Goldendoodle is now ten months old and is still chewing everything he can get his mouth around. He has numerous chew toys, which he enjoys, but he will also go after clothes, remote controls, books, eyeglasses, etc. We work hard to keep our belongings out of his reach, but every now and then we forget and suffer the consequences.

My question is, is it unusual for a puppy to continue chewing this long after he has lost his puppy teeth? Are some dogs just voracious chewers even an adults?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2024, 10:56 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Most dogs we've had have stopped destructive chewing by about a year old.... mostly.

Our LGD (Pyrenees/Anatolian) is mouthier than most - loves balls and toys - is in her second year now.... and still likes to go after my couch pillows. Sometimes... if we're not watching. I just keep putting the stuffing back in them... not wanting to buy new ones til she grows out of this game.

Old 02-13-2024, 11:13 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,200,286 times
I wouldn't say it's unusual...especially for a puppy that has golden mixed in.

Goldens are VERY active and it seems like they retain their puppy energy longer than most larger breed dogs.

Consider toys that are more "interactive" and more exercise throughout the day.

The old saying "a tired dog is a good dog" is really true!

Old 02-13-2024, 03:23 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,587,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Our Mini-Goldendoodle is now ten months old and is still chewing everything he can get his mouth around. He has numerous chew toys, which he enjoys, but he will also go after clothes, remote controls, books, eyeglasses, etc. We work hard to keep our belongings out of his reach, but every now and then we forget and suffer the consequences.

My question is, is it unusual for a puppy to continue chewing this long after he has lost his puppy teeth? Are some dogs just voracious chewers even an adults?

We had a weimraner/pit mix that chewed stuff beyond a year old but eventually quit. We now have two mixed breeds, brother and sister -- don't even know just what they are but love them! -- and George was eating my shoes beyond a year old. I think he is over it now, but I still try to remember to put my shoes on top of the dresser to be save. He has also destroyed reading glasses. ball point pens, etc.

Be vigilant and patient but it should eventually stop.

Old 02-13-2024, 03:48 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
Consider toys that are more "interactive" and more exercise throughout the day.

The old saying "a tired dog is a good dog" is really true!
This. Granted, that's more of a challenge with a 10 month old! Keep the dog in sight while in the house and watch his behavior. As soon as he looks interested in anything of yours, inform him of that fact. When he picks up something that doesn't belong to him, "trade" it for one of his toys and praise the heck out of him when he takes it. In fact, when you see him chewing on his own stuff, praise him for it!

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-13-2024 at 05:09 PM..

Old 02-13-2024, 10:59 PM

4,410 posts, read 4,893,246 times
In my experience, some "puppies" don't lose their oral fixation until after the 2 year mark even when getting corrected.

That being said, proper correction will help at any age.

Old 02-14-2024, 09:45 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Thanks for all the input, everyone. Thinking back on it, I remember my mini-Australian Shepherd chewed like crazy. I thought she'd never stop, but eventually she did.

Old 03-04-2024, 05:49 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Will my dog ever stop chewing everything?
Excessive chewing behavior seems to subside around 18 months of age but will continue to some degree, depending on the dog, for their whole life. Remember that chewing, licking, and mouthing are normal behaviors for dogs as a way of exploring and learning, and carrying objects from one place to the next. If chewing is excessive or aggressive, consult your veterinarian for behavior modification advice.

Old 03-07-2024, 03:35 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,400,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post

for over 30 years I've always had at least one Retriever (of various breeds) in our home. As a general rule, all Retrievers do not grow a brain until they are at least 3 to 4 years old. What I mean by this is that they act on impulse rather than training. Every Retriever Ive owned was "mouthy". Its a breed trait that all Retriever breeds share. Your pup needs at least 3 sessions of high intensity play/activity per day to help burn off the impulse and to let the training kick in. Please notice that I didn't give a time amount. 3 short high intensity sessions are much better than a single longer session. Patience, consistency and exercise will get you through the puppy phase.

Old 03-13-2024, 09:52 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
You can do some me soft mouth training. Makes it fun for the dog and easier on objects. Make them more excited about retrieving than chewing.

Worked with our GSP’s. My girl Pearl used to chew my shoes, now she brings them to me on command with a soft mouth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs