Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2024, 06:42 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,065,608 times

Advertisements

I adopted an 8-year old mutt from a rescue last year. (He’s little and fluffy, so we think he’s a Pom mix of some kind). Anyway, his breath stinks. He’s definitely smellier than his Cocker Spaniel brother. What can I do? He’s in good health otherwise. He just needs a breath mint lol. Help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2024, 06:54 PM

4,216 posts, read 4,885,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiveMeCoffee View Post
I adopted an 8-year old mutt from a rescue last year. (He’s little and fluffy, so we think he’s a Pom mix of some kind). Anyway, his breath stinks. He’s definitely smellier than his Cocker Spaniel brother. What can I do? He’s in good health otherwise. He just needs a breath mint lol. Help?
A good quality kibble and no wet food or raw bones etc does wonders.

Old 01-22-2024, 07:46 PM

3,374 posts, read 1,963,607 times
Have you had a dental cleaning with x-rays done recently? Many years ago we had a dog with very bad breath and it turned out he had an abscess in the root of a tooth. I felt sick realizing that he had been in so much pain. After the tooth was pulled, the smell disappeared. This was back when dental cleanings weren't as widely done as they are now. Our dogs can't tell us when they have tooth pain so we have them done regularly and my mind is at ease that they're not in pain and their breath is very fresh!

By the way, February is Dog Dental Health month. Many veterinarians have specials on teeth cleanings

Old 01-22-2024, 09:58 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,279,249 times
Could have a bone or something stuck in the roof of his mouth... Have the vet check.

Old 01-22-2024, 10:45 PM

3,234 posts, read 3,187,851 times
If the vet says that his teeth are fine, brush daily with a high quality doggie toothpaste. The one I use is made by Virbec CET enzymatic toothpaste. It’s fantastic.

Old 01-23-2024, 06:07 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,065,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
If the vet says that his teeth are fine, brush daily with a high quality doggie toothpaste. The one I use is made by Virbec CET enzymatic toothpaste. It’s fantastic.
Thank you. He just had an annual check-up and vet said he looks good.

Old 01-23-2024, 12:34 PM

1,343 posts, read 1,370,945 times
Our dog loves these, and they seem to help. Please DO supervise your dog for the first several times that he has one, to make sure he works on it bit by bit, instead of trying to swallow too much and choke. Also, it IS very frustrating that the labeling is downright misleading as to quantity in the bag (and they're not cheap). But we just bite the bullet on that part, because our dog loves them, as I say, and her breath smells good and her teeth look great. And anything that HELPS with dental hygiene seems like a great investment / preventative.

(She is young enough that her teeth have never been an issue at vet appointments, but she has her annual exam coming up in a few months and I'm curious whether the vet will have anything particularly positive to say about her teeth after we've been using these -- to me, her teeth always looked good but now they look even better. We'll see.)

https://www.chewy.com/virbac-cet-enz...hews/dp/230026

Old 01-23-2024, 03:38 PM

4,216 posts, read 4,885,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recklessfoodie View Post
1. Oral hygiene: Brush your teeth, tongue, and gums twice a day using fluoride toothpaste. Floss daily to remove food particles and plaque between teeth.

2. Stay hydrated: Drink plenty of water to keep your mouth moist and reduce bacterial growth.

3. Mouthwash: Use an antimicrobial or antibacterial mouthwash to kill bacteria causing bad breath. Rinse according to the product instructions.

4. Avoid tobacco: Smoking and tobacco use contribute to bad breath. Quitting can improve your oral health and overall well-being.

5. Watch your diet: Limit foods with strong odors, such as garlic and onions. Consume more water-rich fruits and vegetables.

6. Chew sugar-free gum or mints: This can stimulate saliva production, helping to wash away bacteria and neutralize odors.

7. Regular dental check-ups: Schedule regular visits to your dentist for professional cleanings and to address any dental issues contributing to bad breath.

If bad breath persists despite these measures, consult with a healthcare professional or dentist to rule out any underlying health issues.
My poor dogs have tried everything to stop smoking. Hypnosis, patches you name it. They just can't do it.

Old 01-23-2024, 03:42 PM

1,824 posts, read 796,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
Yes, with little dogs, I learned you absolutely have to brush their teeth. Big dogs need it as well, but little dogs REALLY need it, especially Pomeranians.

Start out with an exam & cleaning at the vet, expensive but necessary. Rotting teeth & gum disease also contributes to heart disease in small dogs.

Another good brand of enzymatic toothpaste for dogs is Petrodex.

Also, give the dog a sturdy toy, like a Kong, to chew on. Or try Greenies, they are for doggie dental health/breath.

Old 01-24-2024, 09:01 AM

17,352 posts, read 16,492,563 times
Definitely bring this to the vet's attention. As others have mentioned there could be some dental issues that may not have been readily apparent during the well pup exam.

Also, be sure the dog doesn't have a stick lodged between their back teeth in the roof of their mouth. That happened to our Golden Retriever once and her breath stank so bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs