Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2023, 12:42 PM

32,668 posts, read 48,116,742 times

Advertisements

The Christmas tree went up last night. I love the little ornaments that look like little toys. Many of them have little bells. Some of them are stuffed fabric.

Seeker's eyes lit up when he saw them and heard the bells. He was sure those little toys were intended for a dog to play with.

The little toy ornaments have all gone onto the top of the tree, out of reach, and the dogs have been watched closely and corrected if they show too much interest in the tree.

At least this year I don't have to put a fence around the tree (I hope)

What does everyone else do about dogs and cats and Christmas trees and other decorations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2023, 01:36 PM

23,346 posts, read 18,916,990 times
Haven't had trouble between my dogs and Christmas decorations. They were herders. If it MOVED, it probably needed to be told where. If it wasn't moving it was either boring or dead and didn't need to be told anything .

My bigger birds were another matter. I've kept hookbills, a toucan, and motmots. Everything in the house was a potential toy. Christmas was just sensory overload. They couldn't decide where to start. The level of decorating in my house took a serious nosedive during those years. My most recent aviary birds have been tiny and delicate so staying safely inside their aviary 24/7 was safer than offering free flying sessions in the house. Even now, when I start thinking about putting out holiday decorations, I still find myself considering which ornaments/locations will be most vulnerable to being shredded, bashed, knocked over, eaten, or pooped on .

A family friend once complained about their spoiled rotten beagle. If the beagle felt enough attention wasn't being lavished on her during Christmas festivities she'd pluck ornaments off the tree, go stand right in front of a guest, and deliberately crunch them to bits.

Last edited by Parnassia; 12-01-2023 at 02:11 PM..

Old 12-01-2023, 07:53 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,770,208 times
I have a 70-foot spruce down at the foot of the driveway that we put blue lights on and a dwarf something or other evergreen in a large planter on the front porch that I decorate for the holidays. The dog would be okay with an indoor tree, but I don't trust the cats.

Old 12-01-2023, 10:10 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,917,248 times
I couldn't imagine the destruction our dogs would inflict upon a decorated Christmas tree if they could easily access it. I'm sure anything that looked like a toy would be plucked off and the tree itself would smell like a urinal.

We have a fake 3' tabletop tree that sits on a cabinet. Even that requires some correction.

Old 12-03-2023, 05:28 PM

1,343 posts, read 1,375,611 times
When our current dog was a puppy, we had only a small tree up on a buffet, out of her reach. Ever since then, we've had a regular tree on the floor, and neither she nor previous dogs have bothered it at all. (Current dog in particular is really quite sweet about how meticulously respectful she seems to be about our stuff.) We do have some fabric ornaments that I put higher up, in case she decides they are toys. Other than that, the only thing is to keep her well clear of the tree when she starts wagging her very long tail about anything.

I love the image of the large birds being so excited about the tree and all accessories!

Old 12-04-2023, 08:09 AM

4,871 posts, read 3,296,158 times
We made the mistake of wrapping things up for the dogs... so now we can't put ANYTHING under the tree. Frankly, I'm surprised they leave the tree itself alone. Although we have one that I'm pretty well certain would have to pee on a real tree.

Old 12-04-2023, 04:35 PM

23,346 posts, read 18,916,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1963 View Post

I love the image of the large birds being so excited about the tree and all accessories!
That's the problem with birds...they fly (unless severely wing clipped. Inhumane/cruel to wing clip a toucan or motmots because they can't use beak/claws like parrots). Nothing above floor level is safe.

Last edited by Parnassia; 12-04-2023 at 05:03 PM..

Old 12-04-2023, 05:33 PM

7,119 posts, read 4,838,256 times
When my husband and I were first married (maybe 2-3 years married) we adopted a big Golden Retriever mix. He was lovely, around 5 years old. Sweet sweet boy, housetrained, well mannered. We named him Zachary because the girl we got him from worked at Zachary’s Pizza, and the dog lived in her car. She never bothered to name him, just called him Puppy.

We’d had him for a few months when his first Christmas rolled around. We went and bought our live Christmas tree, set it up in the living room. Well, Zack thought he’d hit the jackpot! He thought we’d put it there just for him, and he promptly went over and peed on it!

Let me tell you, a 65-70lb dog has quite a good volume of urine.

Old 12-04-2023, 06:15 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,057,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
We made the mistake of wrapping things up for the dogs... so now we can't put ANYTHING under the tree. Frankly, I'm surprised they leave the tree itself alone. Although we have one that I'm pretty well certain would have to pee on a real tree.
I have great memories of the dogs unwrapping their Christmas gifts.

ONLY one dog was so enamored with unwrapping HIS Christmas gifts that he moved on to unwrapping OUR Christmas gifts.

AND he was the best hunting dog I ever had. I cannot believe that he didn't know or smell that the other boxes were not for HIM.

If you don't have a under five kid to unwrap a Christmas gift on Christmas morning wrap a gift for your dog in a manner that they can unwrap on their own.

Run video on the unboxing.

Old 12-04-2023, 08:46 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,917,248 times
I remember my first "family" Christmas as head of household. Mid 20's and trying to make a good Christmas for the stepson. Money was tight so I took a seasonal second job to afford Christmas presents. Bought them all and we got them wrapped under the Christmas tree and it was a sight to behold. My dog left everything alone and all was well.

Until we left.

While we were gone the dog tore up and destroyed every Christmas present under that tree. After working so many extra hours to make Christmas happen it was quite the hollow feeling in the gut.

We had to replace all the presents last minute, pretty much with dollar store items because even though I could keep working the extra seasonal job, I wouldn't get paid again before Christmas. Fortunately the kid was young enough he didn't seen to know the difference, or at least was just polite enough to pretend. It's not like there were Xboxs etc in the mid 1990s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs