Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2023, 01:32 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,707,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
If ya'll find a dog park that is suitable to your needs and you've had great experiences, I'm happy for you, however, all it takes is one time, one time, and as my one friend, your dog could get so chewed up, that it now has PTSD from the experience, which took well over a year for his poor little body to heal. Plus she can no longer leave the dog alone, when she works, she takes him to her mother's all day. If he's left alone, he goes into a state of very bad seperation anxiety, which never happened before the attack.

I'm sorry to be so graphic but please believe what I just wrote is nothing compared to his injuries, both physical and psycological.

I have seen dogs attack each other, and believe me, if it's a big dog over a small dog, you don't want to see it, you don't want to see any dog fight, they are brutal. I saw a mild mannered Irish Setter, grab a small dog, and pull it right thru its collar.

You have to weigh your own situation....your own dog and the park where you take your dog to, very seriously, and until you see these things you have no idea how tramatic they can be.

So, while some of you, state that the parks you go to are great, kudos, I'm happy for you...really I am...but understand, all it takes is that one time, one bad owner, with a bad dog...
The thing is is that the stuff you mention can — and does — occur in regular parks, doggie day cares, boarding facilities, hiking trails, and individual neighborhoods with some regularity. I'd go so far as to say that in my community, bad owners with bad dogs are far more likely to be found in regular parks, along the local biking/hiking trails, and running loose in residential neighborhoods than anywhere else. And yes, I've seen a dog attack or two -- on local hiking trails, "the beach," and regular urban parks. Local social media is full of these occurances. The worst attack I've ever seen on a dog was in my front yard of my home in Alaska, but the attackers weren't dogs; they were wolves. Needless to say, he didn't survive.

Additionally, there have been no dog park fatalities here, but every year, several dogs die in hot cars thanks to the "I take my dog everywhere!" crowd. The "I take my dog hiking!" crowd loses several dogs to what's got to be very painful deaths every summer because they don't understand the risks involved in letting your dog drink from waterways where blue/green algae blooms are present. It is also all too common here for dogs to get lost, never to be seen again, while "enjoying outdoor activities" with their humans.

I guess if the dog park I use were like the stereotypical small, crowded, smelly, dirty pen teaming with aggressive breeds rampaging around while their owners obliviously gossip with others are have their faces stuck in their phones, untold pathogens, all manner of untamed children running wild, yanking at dogs' tails and pulling their ears, I'd avoid them as well, but my point remains that not all dog parks are like this. Of course it "only takes one;" but that one is far more likely to be encountered in one of the regular parks or trails than otherwise. I'm lucky enough to be able to see the dog park I use from my front window, though, and because it's private, I've gotten to know its busy and slow times and time my visits accordingly.

The biggest threat to dog health and safety is human stupidity.

Back to the original post, I think that a four-pound dog is too small to take to a dog park. Even normal play can result in injuries at that size.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 11-19-2023 at 02:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2023, 04:19 PM

7,028 posts, read 4,891,679 times
With a group of friends and their dogs, I once let my dog out with theirs to run in a school yard. I think we had about 10 dogs total. The rest of the dogs stayed in a group and chased a ball. My bonehead ran around the perimeter checking out the flora.

I would never leave my dog off leash in a dog park with dogs and people I didn't know, however, simply because my dog was an dominant dog even though he was neutered. If another dog wanted to play with him, he was fine and he loved to play with other dogs. But if another dog ever tried to dominate him, that would have been a fight. That fight never happened because I was always - and I do mean always - watchful.

I think today if I had a dog like that, he'd only go to a dog park if there was no other dog in it at the time and I'd be chain locking the gates so no one else could get in, giving me time to catch my dog if someone else showed up. Of course, as soon as my hound was under my control and on leash again, I'd take him home to let the next person enter.

Last edited by rodentraiser; 11-19-2023 at 04:29 PM..

Old 11-19-2023, 05:56 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,953,679 times
I stopped by a dog park just today, as a matter of fact. It was warm and sunny and there were probably 30 dogs all running and playing, many of them together, of all breeds and sizes. Again -- no problems. Every tail was wagging; it was a beautiful sight! We must have "abnormally" genial dogs around here or something...

Old 11-19-2023, 07:55 PM

2,024 posts, read 983,695 times
I refuse to live in fear of dog parks. This is silly.

Old 11-20-2023, 03:02 PM

23,270 posts, read 18,799,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Again -- no problems. Every tail was wagging; it was a beautiful sight! We must have "abnormally" genial dogs around here or something...
More likely that most if not all of the dogs that happened to be there were regular visitors whose owners were on the same daily schedules. They had encountered each other before and knew each other well enough to be compatable.

Old 11-20-2023, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
More likely that most if not all of the dogs that happened to be there were regular visitors whose owners were on the same daily schedules. They had encountered each other before and knew each other well enough to be compatable.
This is what I witness at every park I visit at any time of day. I suppose you could imagine they've all arranged to meet there at the same time every time -- if you like? I just think it's pretty typical dog park behavior.

Old 11-20-2023, 09:13 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,260,062 times
Quote:
Parnassia

FWIW, I've had several dogs over the years. I've always lived alone and always worked full time, so they spent the majority of weekday hours alone in the house. They had their territory to defend. I've chosen houses that allowed my dogs a view of the neighborhood. None of them ever showed they were miserable. I always gave them something to do while I was away: puzzle toys, energy burning chews, stuffed Kongs, etc. They never exhibited separation anxiety, no frustration/obsessive behavior, no health issues, nothing. Don't say I just didn't notice. I can recognize a well-adjusted contented dog when I see one. I always made a point of spending time with them whenever I was home. They were never relegated to the backyard or some kennel run. They spent hours next to me on the couch or bed, we played all sorts of games, and they went everywhere with me that would allow them. Weekends and evenings included trips to open space, parks, the beach, whatever.
what we are reading here in this thread are simply opinions based on experiences we've all had....as I mentioned before I had and aunt who was an experienced dog trainer, shower and breeder...do you know she wouldn't allow dogs in her home with her dogs, and allowing another dog to drink out of the same water dish was a no no....she was extremely strict...she conducted dog training classes outside in her yard, she was good....but, that was many years ago, things have changed....

my point is, everyone, vets included all have different opinions....and to all the others adding to this thread, please keep in mind, just b/c you never had a bad dog park experience, doesn't mean it didn't happen to me, or others....please remember that.

now as far as leaving a dog home alone, all day, Gosh, when I was young, I did the very same thing, and in the last few years before I retired, I rescued two little dogs....and left them home all day, but I changed, I grew older, my perspectives changed along with many opinons I had...one of them being this. Every time I went to use the facilities at work I thought of those dogs...and how they were holding their urine, and here I was relieving myself. Yes, it may sound really dumb to you, but it made me feel awful for the dogs.....and I vowed, I'd never get another dog until I retired and was home all day.

Also, and again, different strokes, regarding the mental stability of the dog....a dog needs to run, lets say we pen you up in a room all day for 8 to 10 hours, see how you like it, no one comes to visit or allow you out to relieve yourself....

Now some people today come home at lunch to let their dogs out, some pay dog walkers to do that....even my son and his gal do the same, she works days my son works nights so he leaves their dog out at lunch time when he wakes up....

So it's ok to feel as you do, but it's also ok for others to feel the complete opposite due to expereiences, age, upbringing, learning from other dog trainers, etc....all these things come together to make up our feelings about a thing....

doen't make you right and me wrong...this is simply a discussion and sharing ideas and feelings...I don't think your a bad person for feeling the way you do, please don't call our feelings about a subject BS if you don't agree....

Old 11-20-2023, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
With a group of friends and their dogs, I once let my dog out with theirs to run in a school yard. I think we had about 10 dogs total. The rest of the dogs stayed in a group and chased a ball. My bonehead ran around the perimeter checking out the flora.

I would never leave my dog off leash in a dog park with dogs and people I didn't know, however, simply because my dog was an dominant dog even though he was neutered. If another dog wanted to play with him, he was fine and he loved to play with other dogs. But if another dog ever tried to dominate him, that would have been a fight. That fight never happened because I was always - and I do mean always - watchful.

I think today if I had a dog like that, he'd only go to a dog park if there was no other dog in it at the time and I'd be chain locking the gates so no one else could get in, giving me time to catch my dog if someone else showed up. Of course, as soon as my hound was under my control and on leash again, I'd take him home to let the next person enter.

I'd feel the same way, my dogs all had each other, when we were raising dobies....we lived in the country, and had a path from our home, up the back mountain, into an open field where we ran every night, in all kinds of weather, unless it was pouring rain....it was a good run and they enjoyed it...the were off leash once we hit the path.

I would do the same if I had a larger dog, I'd try to take my dog to a dog park that was empty...like early in the morning...

a small dog can run around the house and they are fine...

Old 11-20-2023, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
The thing is is that the stuff you mention can — and does — occur in regular parks, doggie day cares, boarding facilities, hiking trails, and individual neighborhoods with some regularity. I'd go so far as to say that in my community, bad owners with bad dogs are far more likely to be found in regular parks, along the local biking/hiking trails, and running loose in residential neighborhoods than anywhere else. And yes, I've seen a dog attack or two -- on local hiking trails, "the beach," and regular urban parks. Local social media is full of these occurances. The worst attack I've ever seen on a dog was in my front yard of my home in Alaska, but the attackers weren't dogs; they were wolves. Needless to say, he didn't survive.

Additionally, there have been no dog park fatalities here, but every year, several dogs die in hot cars thanks to the "I take my dog everywhere!" crowd. The "I take my dog hiking!" crowd loses several dogs to what's got to be very painful deaths every summer because they don't understand the risks involved in letting your dog drink from waterways where blue/green algae blooms are present. It is also all too common here for dogs to get lost, never to be seen again, while "enjoying outdoor activities" with their humans.

I guess if the dog park I use were like the stereotypical small, crowded, smelly, dirty pen teaming with aggressive breeds rampaging around while their owners obliviously gossip with others are have their faces stuck in their phones, untold pathogens, all manner of untamed children running wild, yanking at dogs' tails and pulling their ears, I'd avoid them as well, but my point remains that not all dog parks are like this. Of course it "only takes one;" but that one is far more likely to be encountered in one of the regular parks or trails than otherwise. I'm lucky enough to be able to see the dog park I use from my front window, though, and because it's private, I've gotten to know its busy and slow times and time my visits accordingly.

The biggest threat to dog health and safety is human stupidity.

Back to the original post, I think that a four-pound dog is too small to take to a dog park. Even normal play can result in injuries at that size.

Great Post, thank you!

Old 11-21-2023, 05:48 AM

It's not just about exercise ("a small dog can run around the house and be fine"); dogs are social creatures. They need companionship. If you have your own pack at home and 100 acres to let them run free, then obviously you don't need a dog park, but that's not the average pet owner, needless to say. More typical is one dog home alone all day, often kenneled, and in the evening, too, if its owner goes out after work enjoying a few hours stretching its legs, feeling the fresh air and sunshine, chasing a ball, running free, and playing with its own kind as it was meant to do. The wide grins and wagging tails speak for themselves. In the end, it's about empathy for the animal; some have it, and some don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs