Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2023, 06:48 AM

9,512 posts, read 9,836,609 times

Advertisements

We were going to take our Sheltie to a local dog park a few months ago. When we arrived, there was a female dog in obvious heat. Multiple dogs were mounting her, some even sniffing and *licking* her! One human was making a half hearted attempt to stop it and the other humans were just sitting around chatting.

We promptly left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2023, 08:56 AM

28,946 posts, read 30,301,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
We were going to take our Sheltie to a local dog park a few months ago. When we arrived, there was a female dog in obvious heat. Multiple dogs were mounting her, some even sniffing and *licking* her! One human was making a half hearted attempt to stop it and the other humans were just sitting around chatting.

We promptly left.
yes, I've seen some very bad dog owners at these dog parks, which actually strengthened the vets theory of where my dog was picking up worms...they poo, the dogs step in it and lick their feet, walla, now they've got worms. No thank you, that was a mess, it was a tape worm and the vet couldn't understand why we were unable to get rid of it...then he asked, "Where do you take this dog", we said all over the place and to dog parks...and he said, that's where she is picking up the tape worm, and when my aunt found out we were going, (I left it slip) she near had a fit and I trusted her for many reasons but also for her expertiese in this area.

I worked with a gal, who had her dog ripped apart by another dog, at a dog park, the dog was a mess and they didn't expect it to live, as it was a little dog...but it lived and her and the dog had a lot of trama....

I can't imagine the carelessness you saw....those people should not be dog owners, there are so many...

To me, its not worth the chance, all it takes is one time, and I've seen dogs rip into each other, it's very difficult to break up and sad to see....brutal...

Old 11-17-2023, 08:57 AM

28,946 posts, read 30,301,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I don't currently have a dog, but I love to grab a lunch and sit and watch the dogs play in the dog parks when I walk there (about four different locations in the large city near me). I realize this sounds weird, lol, but I manage to observe a lot. I have yet to see ANY dog be "aggressive." They're very excited to be running free and socializing with others and are playing. Granted, a 4-pound dog could be injured even by friendly behavior. Most parks I've seen have divisions for small and large dogs; also, nearly EVERY dog is in the large-dog park - whether they're big or small - and they all get along and have a great time. Now and then you'll see a solitary dog and person in the small dog area, which is where they go if they don't want to mix with the others. The whole point of it is for the dog to be free; NOT to be leashed or tightly controlled so, yeah, they're going to run and jump and even wrestle like dogs do. Not sure what behavior you want to see there? As I say, I've done this for years now at multiple parks and have never witnessed an "incident." The owners know their dogs are socialized and well-behaved and so aren't monitoring them that closely. If you're worried yours will be injured by play behavior, you'll have to find a small-dog enclosure or not let him mix, but I don't see any fault with either other dogs or owners. So many dogs today are left alone at home all day or even crated/caged, which is a very unnatural life (they're pack animals), that it's a pleasure to see them just acting like dogs; it's pure joy and so fun to watch! I feel sorry for any who don't get this experience.
I don't know where you live, but I'm so glad your experiences have been very positive and I agree with you that dogs need to socialize and exercise, but there were a lot of dog owners I've exerpeienced who were not good dog owners...but yes, I totally agree with you. It is a shame that some owners spoil it for others, there are a lot of irresponsible dog owners out there....and for me, if I now owned a dog, it wouldn't be worth the chance....

Last edited by cremebrulee; 11-17-2023 at 09:11 AM..

Old 11-17-2023, 05:05 PM

1,831 posts, read 812,274 times
Now there is this, so dog parks are probably not a good idea, anyway.

https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/exp...FP2UFCEBU6F2A/

One of my kid’s dogs recently had to be treated for a “kennel cough” (not Bordetella) that the dog picked up at a boarding facility. It sounds similar to this & involved several expensive vet trips & several rounds of antibiotics & steroids.

Old 11-17-2023, 05:23 PM

21,901 posts, read 13,004,619 times
Life is full of risks, but some things are worse than death, and I would think living your whole life as a dog never running, playing, making friends, and feeling free (at least for a little while each day) would be one of them. Their sheer joy is palpable, even from a distance. Sometimes I see one being yanked along on a leash outside the fence and not allowed in, and it's obvious how frustrated and sad it is. Frankly, it's good for the owners to gather in the fresh air and sunshine and walk around and socialize, too -- especially after the pandemic. Dogs are "in the moment" and don't care how long they live; only how happily. When I have one again, we will be faithful regulars at the dog park, come what may!

Old 11-17-2023, 05:57 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,608,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
We have a new foster dog who is very social and playful but our older female dog won’t have anything to do with him. The Rescue group is fine with me taking him to the dog park ….little dog side, he’s tiny…and so yesterday I did that. But when I got to the entrance of the little dog side, there were 4 dogs barking and very excited…throwing themselves at the entrance gate to get to the dog. They were small dogs…probably about 15 lbs. But my foster is only 4 lbs.

Their owners ignored them and continued to chat. I yelled out… “hey, I’m nervous with all this clammor..unsure about coming in with my dog.” Not one person came to control their dog so I could open the gate. So I didn’t go in and left.

My question: is that normal? If I was one of those owners, I would have controlled my dog so four excited dogs wouldn’t attack a new incoming dog. However, I’m not that knowledgeable about dogpark etiquette.
At one dog park where I used to take my dog (now deceased, he passed away at 15), the small size of the park assured that the entry of a new dog was a major event - two to five dogs would mob the gate. But those dogs' owners would come up and pull them away so we could come in. Most of the dog owners at that particular park were very watchful and proactive; more so than the owners of the two larger parks where I also took my dog.

My dog was confident with other dogs. If he didn't care for their behavior; he'd challenge them to some extent; then I'd call him away; and he'd come, he was always willing to walk away from a confrontation as long as I got him to move before it escalated (and I made sure of that).

I enjoyed our time at all three dog parks; and I still go there to get my dog "fix".

Old 11-17-2023, 07:29 PM

4,259 posts, read 3,181,121 times
I see no reason to go to a dog park!!!

Old 11-17-2023, 07:42 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,770,208 times
Not all dog parks are the same. Just because one didn't work out for you doesn't mean everyone should avoid them.

Old 11-17-2023, 08:35 PM

1,831 posts, read 812,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Life is full of risks, but some things are worse than death, and I would think living your whole life as a dog never running, playing, making friends, and feeling free (at least for a little while each day) would be one of them. Their sheer joy is palpable, even from a distance. Sometimes I see one being yanked along on a leash outside the fence and not allowed in, and it's obvious how frustrated and sad it is. Frankly, it's good for the owners to gather in the fresh air and sunshine and walk around and socialize, too -- especially after the pandemic. Dogs are "in the moment" and don't care how long they live; only how happily. When I have one again, we will be faithful regulars at the dog park, come what may!
What a huge assumption that is! My dogs have acreage to run on. A dog park would provide a different environment, that’s it. Good luck to your future dog, start a savings account for vet bills now.

Old 11-17-2023, 09:13 PM

7,027 posts, read 4,906,637 times
I've heard mainly about parents who let their kids into the dog park to run around unattended and bother the dogs. I don't know how common that is though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs