Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2023, 07:01 PM

28,103 posts, read 30,002,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Since dogs generally won't poop where they sleep, he may have the urge to poop but he won't- he's in his den in your room. BUT given the opportunity to leave his sleep spot he may have the urge and will poop in the middle of the night elsewhere.
We haven't had quite as many dogs as you have, but we have had 8 in 30+ years that we've been in a home and not an apartment, and have never encountered this problem before. My question is: If our 5-year-old Mini Australian Shepherd was able to go through the night without having to go out and poop when she was his age, that kind of tells me that it's more of a learned thing to wait until morning instead of a gotta-go-right now kind of thing (particularly since he holds it if he's locked in the room or would do if locked in a crate. I'm assuming it's not going to be detrimental to his health. Am I right? Incidentally, it's never been diarrhea. If I could just train him to wait until morning, that's what I'd like to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2023, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post
Second this!
At least the two cats can jump over a baby gate ,
your other dog probably not so much but maybe.
That's a good idea. We actually have a gate we could use. I don't think the other dog would jump over it. She's just used to holding it till morning.

Old 11-13-2023, 08:28 PM

19,821 posts, read 22,716,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
We haven't had quite as many dogs as you have, but we have had 8 in 30+ years that we've been in a home and not an apartment, and have never encountered this problem before. My question is: If our 5-year-old Mini Australian Shepherd was able to go through the night without having to go out and poop when she was his age, that kind of tells me that it's more of a learned thing to wait until morning instead of a gotta-go-right now kind of thing (particularly since he holds it if he's locked in the room or would do if locked in a crate. I'm assuming it's not going to be detrimental to his health. Am I right? Incidentally, it's never been diarrhea. If I could just train him to wait until morning, that's what I'd like to do.
Don’t know. Every dog is different. Kinda why we go back to step 1 with young dogs until they get our routine.

Old 11-14-2023, 08:48 AM

7,660 posts, read 3,290,883 times
I'm happy with this night light that turns on by itself based on when it gets dark.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

Old 11-14-2023, 09:54 AM

9,881 posts, read 14,147,917 times
Quote:
That's a good idea. We actually have a gate we could use. I don't think the other dog would jump over it. She's just used to holding it till morning.
I am glad you seem to found a solution that works for you. Just curious as to why you are so anti-crate?

Old 11-14-2023, 10:59 AM

13,931 posts, read 39,329,788 times
When you use a crate for the pup ... You are giving the Aussie & the Cats their Freedom Back! There are lots of dogs that Dont like Freedom, Makes the nervous, scared.

Mixes, Crossbreds Dont have papers. They just have High price tags. At best you still get a Healthy Well temperament dog. At Worse you get a Sickly Basket case.

Last edited by Katie1; 11-14-2023 at 11:07 AM..

Old 11-14-2023, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I am glad you seem to found a solution that works for you. Just curious as to why you are so anti-crate?
I'm not really anti-crate. The dog just was.

Old 11-14-2023, 02:14 PM

23,349 posts, read 18,930,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Mixes, Crossbreds Dont have papers. They just have High price tags. At best you still get a Healthy Well temperament dog. At Worse you get a Sickly Basket case.
What does any of this have to do with pooping where it isn't wanted? Whether they're some designer breed or not, have papers or not, all puppies (and their humans) need to go through housetraining!

Old 11-14-2023, 04:03 PM

9,881 posts, read 14,147,917 times
Quote:
I'm not really anti-crate. The dog just was.
Ah - you need to make his crate his happy place. Give him a toy/ bone/ treat in there and do not close the door. Get him to want and go in and out freely. Perhaps make it cozier with a crate cover. Of course they won't like a crate if they only associate it with you leaving or stopping playing because it is bedtime.

Old 11-14-2023, 08:46 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,088,575 times
Our dogs absolutely love their crates.
They didn’t at first but now it is their safe spot and they often just nap in it.

One odd thing that I’ve seen was that dogs would train their owners if the owners allowed them to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs