Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2023, 04:32 PM

25,940 posts, read 22,089,429 times

Advertisements

So, I have been looking for a dog for quite some time. Here and within probably 100 mile distance, most dogs are pits or pit mixes, and I am just not sure whether that would work for me, as I have never been a fan of terriers in general.

Someone is advertising that they purchased 2 silver labs, and have decided that one is enough. They are offering the other for sale, a one year old male, at a more than fair price. I have done some searching online regarding silver labs, and the controversy over them. A few years ago, we adopted a senior yellow lab (English type), which worked out well. I do know there is a difference between the American type and the English type.

Any thoughts or anyone familiar with the silver labs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2023, 05:05 PM

10,007 posts, read 15,647,185 times
My daughter keeps talking about getting one (she currently has a chocolate lab). Is the controversy that supposedly they are mixed with Weimaraner?

Old 10-11-2023, 05:08 PM

6,988 posts, read 4,809,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
So, I have been looking for a dog for quite some time. Here and within probably 100 mile distance, most dogs are pits or pit mixes, and I am just not sure whether that would work for me, as I have never been a fan of terriers in general.

Someone is advertising that they purchased 2 silver labs, and have decided that one is enough. They are offering the other for sale, a one year old male, at a more than fair price. I have done some searching online regarding silver labs, and the controversy over them. A few years ago, we adopted a senior yellow lab (English type), which worked out well. I do know there is a difference between the American type and the English type.

A silver lab has Weimariner in the mix, from what I’ve read. It’s another designer breed, just a bit more advanced. Not sure if you bred two of them what you would end up with.

That being said, if you are thinking of adopting or purchasing one only as a pet, you shouldn’t have a problem. They should have the goofy personality traits of both a lab and a weim.

Last edited by puginabug; 10-11-2023 at 05:20 PM..

Old 10-11-2023, 05:11 PM

6,988 posts, read 4,809,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
My daughter keeps talking about getting one (she currently has a chocolate lab). Is the controversy that supposedly they are mixed with Weimaraner?
Yes, thats the controversy. AKC only recognizes Black, Yellow, and Chocolate. For me, AKC is the authority, and I know I’ll probably get pushback for that opinion.

Old 10-11-2023, 05:43 PM

10,007 posts, read 15,647,185 times
No, that wouldn't bother me that they are mixed if I was just buying a pet. I would be concerned if the dog originally came from a backyard breeder.

Old 10-12-2023, 03:06 AM

4,215 posts, read 4,884,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post

I would suggest that you are probably buying someone else's problem.

You may end up with a dog that looks like a lab but has the temperament of a Weimaraner. They are definitely "more dog" than a lab. That could be why this person is selling the dog.

Old 10-12-2023, 05:59 AM

25,940 posts, read 22,089,429 times
Quote:
Yes.

Quote:
No, that wouldn't bother me that they are mixed if I was just buying a pet. I would be concerned if the dog originally came from a backyard breeder.
I am in Kansas. I would be less concerned about backyard breeders vs. puppy mills. I watch NexTech Classified, and after several months, it becomes obvious who to avoid, but yes, in this case, since this dog is a year old, there would be no way to know where it came from originally. There are few here that just breed their hunting, herding or livestock guardian dogs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
I would suggest that you are probably buying someone else's problem.

You may end up with a dog that looks like a lab but has the temperament of a Weimaraner. They are definitely "more dog" than a lab. That could be why this person is selling the dog.
Yes, that is a concern. I had a friend that bought two puppies from the same litter, and eventually they got rid of one of them. I am not sure if that causes long term behavior issues or not though once separated.

*******Thanks everyone that responded. I will think about this carefully.

First choice is to adopt, but...........

Old 10-12-2023, 11:56 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
If you like the dog and the price is reasonable and you can afford it, there is no reason to not get the dog.

Yes, the color is controversial and it is widely held that the dogs are not purebred Labs. And so what? You are looking for a pet and not getting tricked into paying an outrageous price for a "rare" color. You don't want a show dog, or a breeding animal where pedigree matters.

I will say, it is perhaps not a purebred but the color is pretty and the dogs look nice., if this one has a nice temperament and a good personality, that is what matters for a pet.

My only suggestion is to not give any money until you have met the dog and seen it and had a few minutes to assess the temperament and personality. With a Lab, you should know instantly if the temperament is correct, as it should be tail wagging and trying to crawl into your lap. A good Lab has never met a stranger he doesn't like.

Make sure the dog actually exists before you give any money. The second warning is that "Lab mix" is shorthand for "pitbull" and "silver lab" might possible by a blue pitbull. so be able to tell the difference between a Lab and a pitbull or pitbull cross. Young labs are crazy wild with energy and a one year old is just about ready to settle a bit, but not quite yet, so expect some puppy destruction if you don't supervise carefully for the first few months

Old 10-12-2023, 12:13 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
........but has the temperament of a Weimaraner. They are definitely "more dog" than a lab. ..........
There is nothing wrong with a Weimaraner. In my opinion, they are much more intelligent than a lab. They have a lot more energy and they keep a smaller circle of close friends, but they should be good with other dogs and with strangers. High energy dogs need more exercise and smart dogs need a job. The OP has been searching with effort, so the OP is serious and not acting on impulse, and I think the OP can manage to play some mind stretching games with a dog and go for walks and provide energy burning activities.

A one year old male of any breed is more than likely high energy and destructive and no longer "puppy adorable". That's why so many dogs end up at the pound at the age of one. A one year old dog is very close to being over the puppy stupids, and a few months of training and supervision will get you a nice dog that behaves well in the house. The hard work, chewing, and piddling years are nearly done, suffered through by someone else.

Old 10-12-2023, 12:49 PM

4,215 posts, read 4,884,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
There is nothing wrong with a Weimaraner.
Unless you thought you were getting a lab.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs