Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2023, 01:45 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times

Advertisements

There is a reason the people offering up the dog chose that one to rehome. I'd maneuver the conversation around to find out what that reason is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2023, 03:19 PM

10,007 posts, read 15,650,939 times
It could be because the males are usually livelier and maybe the other one is female? Some people make the mistake of getting 2 puppies together because it's really cute and they find it is just too much. Also, sometimes the puppies pay more attention to each other instead of their owner.

If I were the OP, I would meet and assess the dog in person. Expect him to be friendly and goofy as 1 year old labs are not fully mature yet.

Keep us updated!

Old 10-12-2023, 03:28 PM

10,988 posts, read 6,852,461 times
Yes, and people wanting a lab or lab mix need to recognize that they are high energy dogs and it extends way past "puppyhood." My 13 year old girl is still highly energetic when she is excited. She still runs in circles and now that she's been on hip joint chews for over a year, she's back to chasing frisbees and balls at the park. DO NOT get a high energy dog unless that is truly what you want. It is a lifestyle. I almost gave her up 4 times in the first 2 years but I did not give up on her. I'm so glad I didn't. She's my girl.... to the very end. (And she never met a human she didn't like - far from it.)

Old 10-12-2023, 05:44 PM

2,028 posts, read 3,345,213 times
I wouldn't buy a dog/puppy if i could not see the "parents." Too many brokers, industrial breeders, puppy mills, and backyard breeders out there.

But i'm against buying so i'm not a good one to comment here

And yes i know when you rescue you don't see the parents either, but i believe in rescuing from someplace that has as much background on the dog as possible, and also has done as much behavioral assessment and temperament testing as possible.

With the silver labs, i would not worry at all about the color not being accepted. Just sometimes you have to pay more for a rare "designer" dog which i feel is a shame. Just check on their temperament and health issues. Good luck.

Old 10-12-2023, 05:46 PM

25,940 posts, read 22,089,429 times
Thanks everyone! Now, not all labs are forever high energy. Our yellow lab adopted at 7 or 8 was a lump! She lived to be 15 or 16, and the only time I saw her get excited, and it was WILD, is when we were out in the field by a pond, and some muskrats surfaced! I thought we were both going to end up in the water! She was around cats and other dogs on leashes daily, but these muskrats stood the hair on her back up, and she was squealing like a piggy.

We had went to adopt her, and she had been at Animal Control for 10 weeks (a kill shelter, the director liked her). She came into the waiting room where we were sitting, and laid down right by us. It looked like one of those Norman Rockwell Americana scenes. I often thought the director taught her this behavior. She did not like uniformed individuals like the sheriff, as she was abandoned in a yard, and after 3 weeks, removed by sedating her, the sheriff and animal control officer.
Yeah, I would be leery of them after that too. She was "stoic" in nature. Sadly, when we first got her, she didn't appear to know how to play, as she would stand looking excited, but didn't know how to join in the play with us and our other dog. Eventually, she got it!

Maybe she was an exception to many labs, although they claim the English Lab is more calm than the American Lab. She was, however, hilarious in her own way.

So, we'll see.

Old 10-12-2023, 07:31 PM

1,824 posts, read 794,851 times
I have never heard of a silver Labrador, so I googled & apparently it’s a Lab/Weimaraner mix, I guess? The photos of some of them look exactly like Weimaraner.

My spouse had a Great Dane/Weimaraner mix when we met. The dog was not a planned litter, she was a “ooops” dog, but was the sweetest, calmest, most obedient dog, great temperament. That is my only experience with Weimaraner, other than I once was at a dog rescue for a different breed & there was a Weimaraner rescue next door. They had a lot of dogs, which made me wonder WHY so many people had surrendered their Weimaraner.

I don’t buy dogs as I believe in rescue, & this mixing of breeds, like Labradoodles, etc., I don’t understand at all, except it’s about $$$. In my earlier life, mixed breeds were mutts…they were usually great dogs, but did not cost an arm & a leg! IMO, you should be able to find a rescue lab mix very easily, they are very available where I live. For example, we had a dog that looked like a chocolate lab, but was also pit bull. She was a rescue, so we never knew if she was a “ooops” ( many people here don’t spay or neuter, unfortunately) or deliberate.

Last edited by CalWorth; 10-12-2023 at 07:44 PM..

Old 10-13-2023, 11:54 AM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post

I don’t buy dogs as I believe in rescue, & this mixing of breeds, like Labradoodles, etc., I don’t understand at all, except it’s about $$$. In my earlier life, mixed breeds were mutts…they were usually great dogs, but did not cost an arm & a leg! IMO, you should be able to find a rescue lab mix very easily, they are very available where I live. For example, we had a dog that looked like a chocolate lab, but was also pit bull. She was a rescue, so we never knew if she was a “ooops” ( many people here don’t spay or neuter, unfortunately) or deliberate.
To be fair, but how do you think many dog breeds came to be? By mixing other existing breeds to produce something with a different combination of traits. When you think about it, the only real difference between a designer dog and a mutt is opportunity and planning. One wasn't .

As for "silver" labs, I've always heard that they're just a chocolate lab color variation, not produced because of a Weimaraner cross. It's an expression of a recessive dilute gene.

https://www.marvelousdogs.com/silver-lab/

https://www.allthingsdogs.com/silver-lab/

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-13-2023 at 12:09 PM..

Old 10-13-2023, 12:06 PM

10,988 posts, read 6,852,461 times
I understand what you are saying, but now there's "______poo" everything. It's gotten out of control. I forget what they most recent one was that I heard about but I really eyerolled that one. It wasn't on here, I think it was at a dog park. I'm very happy with my "accidental" mutt! I will say though that I visited a friend recently who has a goldendoodle who is precious. She's very territorial (well, we were at her house!) so my alpha steered clear of her. It was kind of funny to watch. On neutral ground, however, (i.e. dog parks) my alpha girl sets boundaries when necessary. She's the perfect mix of incredibly sweet and "don't you mess with me, ya hear?"

Old 10-13-2023, 12:25 PM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
So, I have been looking for a dog for quite some time. Here and within probably 100 mile distance, most dogs are pits or pit mixes, and I am just not sure whether that would work for me, as I have never been a fan of terriers in general.

Someone is advertising that they purchased 2 silver labs, and have decided that one is enough. They are offering the other for sale, a one year old male, at a more than fair price. I have done some searching online regarding silver labs, and the controversy over them. A few years ago, we adopted a senior yellow lab (English type), which worked out well. I do know there is a difference between the American type and the English type.

Any thoughts or anyone familiar with the silver labs?
I've seen one. Aren't they the ferocious kind of Lab?

Old 10-13-2023, 12:27 PM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Yes, and people wanting a lab or lab mix need to recognize that they are high energy dogs and it extends way past "puppyhood." My 13 year old girl is still highly energetic when she is excited. She still runs in circles and now that she's been on hip joint chews for over a year, she's back to chasing frisbees and balls at the park. DO NOT get a high energy dog unless that is truly what you want. It is a lifestyle. I almost gave her up 4 times in the first 2 years but I did not give up on her. I'm so glad I didn't. She's my girl.... to the very end. (And she never met a human she didn't like - far from it.)
I've seen some like that on the beach. They ran excitedly in circles around me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs