Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2023, 06:26 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,853,737 times

Advertisements

I usually say, thank you, we think he is, too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2023, 10:34 AM

637 posts, read 402,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I think next time I'm gonna say, " I know! He takes after my father."
Female? "I know she takes after my Mom's Irish side."

One time when asked, ''What kind of dog is that?'' ..."GermanButtsmeller"... I did.
Now that's funny Miss H

Old 09-29-2023, 01:04 PM

5,096 posts, read 12,602,982 times
Having a Silken Windhound I get a lot of compliments. To which I just say Thank you. Often people want to ask more so I go out on walks ready for that so sometimes walks take much longer because of it.

My first Silken Dazzle was the first of his breed in town and he was so use to people saying something as he passed and/or stopping to admire him that if someone did not, he would stop take a long look at the person then turn to look at me like " WTF? Did they not see what a handsome boy I am?" It always made me and friends we walk with laugh.

Zephyr does not really pay attention to people admiring him and the ones that stop us usually then get Chaos rushing up for some love as she is super social and has never met a stranger. If she could talk, she would be saying " do not look at him look at me!" I am just lucky she has manners so is not jumping all over people. Often people do compliment her too as she is a mixed breed and is really a nice looking somewhat unique dog too.

I love when people ask me the breed of Zephyr (in the past Dazzle) as when I say Silken Windhound some give me looks like they think I just made the breed's name up on the spot. There are a few more in town now so every now and then we run into someone that asks, "Is that a silken Windhound?"

The best was earlier this spring we were at the National Silken Windhound show which was in Sacramento Ca this year. There was a couple that came down from B.C. to meet the breed and had been talking to me and admiring Zephyr and taking his photo. The one day we were leaving and walking out with his breeder, when I heard the man from B.C. calling me, so we stopped. When he caught up to us, he looked around and said I do not want to offend anyone else, but I wanted you to know I think your dog is the most stunning one here! I was rather touched, shocked and even amused and told him Thank you but I had nothing to do with it, but this lady does as she is his breeder.

In person I am very much an introvert so having so many people wanting to know about my dog does help open me up to strangers more than when I am without the dogs.

Old 09-30-2023, 12:44 PM

637 posts, read 402,867 times
Silken Windhounds are indeed beautiful dogs and it's no wonder they attract so much attention. Years ago a friend of mine owned one and he literally stopped traffic. It was the same when I had my greyhound....every time we went out people would ask me where I got her and tell me how gorgeous she was. Sadly I only had her for 7 months before she died from osteosarcoma.

But you're right Dashdog, I'm a solitary person and having a dog really ups my social game around here

Old 09-30-2023, 11:11 PM

5,096 posts, read 12,602,982 times
Ceira, I am sorry you lost your greyhound to osteosarcoma. I lost my first Silken,Dazzle to osteosarcoma in his hip. It is a horrible painful cancer. Dazzle had a retained testicle and back then the vets recommended neutering him at a young age because of it. There is a chance his earlier neuter could’ve played a part in him developing Osteosarcoma I’ll never know for sure. I think sight hounds in general can be traffic stoppers as they are quite elegant.

Old 10-16-2023, 05:39 PM

18,484 posts, read 31,684,723 times
I have a little Chihuahua and get that all the time. My dog is cute, he is little and he wears clothes as they get cold fast, and it is cute.

I just say thank you, really, what else can you say. I think the simple thank you is simple and a nice way to reply.

Old 10-18-2023, 04:54 PM

4,415 posts, read 4,927,227 times
I usually say, "He's the best dog in the whole world" to let them know he's more than just a handsome boy.

My wife has a large social media presence and she posts a lot of pictures of our Belgian Malinois, Reaper. There have been many incidents where we're out walking him or he has his head out the car window and people we don't immediately recognize say, "Hey! It's Reaper!" Somehow he's a (very) minor dog celebrity.

Everybody wants to touch/pet him but he's very shy so we have to warn them off for their safety.

Old 11-01-2023, 05:40 AM

30,400 posts, read 52,011,068 times
I’ve had this same thought! I have two red huskies, who literally get complimented every time we’re in public… one time someone stopped their car, and yelled from across the road WE LOVE YOUR DOGS!! lol

Usually I answer on their behalf, by saying something like “Boris and Asa say thank you.” Or maybe “Thanks; I agree they’re pretty darned cute.”

Old 11-01-2023, 07:25 AM

3,381 posts, read 1,985,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceira View Post
Those are some great replies and I'll add them to my repertoire! Thanks everyone. I've attached a pic of her looking extra cute.
She is absolutely beautiful and I can see why she gets lots of compliments! I can relate to your original post. When I've gotten compliments on my dogs' looks I've always thanked the person but also thought about whether or not it was the right response. Some of the responses are just so funny!

Old 11-05-2023, 08:51 AM

37,661 posts, read 46,099,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceira View Post
When we're out walking, people will say "She's beautiful", "what a cute dog" etc. etc. I never know what to say in reply and usually end up saying "thank you" which sounds idiotic since it's the dog they're complimenting and not me!

How do I reply without sounding dorky?
What's wrong with "thanks"? How is that dorky?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs