Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2023, 11:43 AM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times

Advertisements

Just say "thank you" and move on. You are overthinking it. The dog doesn't mind if you take the compliment for him and the person who gives the compliment is in superficial mode, wanting a little attention for themself and not really caring much about you or the dog or who they intend the compliment for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2023, 01:51 PM

9,361 posts, read 14,115,501 times
Believe it or not oregonwoodsmoke, some people like myself are honestly and seriously charmed by seeing various dogs being walked past us.

Our hearts are tickled. Our thoughts become happy. We look carefully to see how the pups are put together since many are unique “hybrids” we would never have thought of. Others quintessentially demonstrate their breed, which is awesome.

It’s not a rouse to get attention. We are truly thrilled to see them.

Old 09-26-2023, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Believe it or not oregonwoodsmoke, some people like myself are honestly and seriously charmed by seeing various dogs being walked past us.

Our hearts are tickled. Our thoughts become happy. We look carefully to see how the pups are put together since many are unique “hybrids” we would never have thought of. Others quintessentially demonstrate their breed, which is awesome.

It’s not a rouse to get attention. We are truly thrilled to see them.
And are you insulted and dissatisfied if the dog owner says "thank you" in response to your admiration? And perhaps keeps walking and doesn't want to stop and have a conversation with you? I would be surprised if you or anyone else takes offense by it. It's perfectly OK for the OP to say thank you and keep moving.

Old 09-27-2023, 08:16 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,115,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
And are you insulted and dissatisfied if the dog owner says "thank you" in response to your admiration? And perhaps keeps walking and doesn't want to stop and have a conversation with you? I would be surprised if you or anyone else takes offense by it. It's perfectly OK for the OP to say thank you and keep moving.
Oh I totally agree. And if you had ever been a dog owner/walker yourself, you would be able to think of many reasons the pair wouldn’t want to stop. Some dogs are too anxious around unknown people. Others are actually frightened and might nip but the owner is walking them to get them comfortable with this. Or, the walker doesn’t have any spare time that day since he needs to meet someone soon, get to an appointment, avoid another dog on the path, whatever.

And to be fair, oregonwoodsmoke, it appears you are a dog-enjoyer too.

Old 09-27-2023, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
........And to be fair, oregonwoodsmoke, it appears you are a dog-enjoyer too.
Yes, I love to see them. But I do not expect the dog owner to give me any of their time. I might throw out a compliment as I pass by without stopping: lovely dog, so well behaved, that sort of thing, but I do not expect any interaction with the owner. Mostly I get a smile and a thank you as I sail on past.

The only time I might stop is when it is very obvious that the owner is out there socializing and then I might stop, say a few words to the dog and pet them if the owner requests it. I don't see that happening very often.

Old 09-27-2023, 12:57 PM

1,434 posts, read 668,263 times
A woman recently told me " she thinks you're cute too"
I thought that was really sweet

Old 09-28-2023, 02:15 PM

24,124 posts, read 32,491,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceira View Post
When we're out walking, people will say "She's beautiful", "what a cute dog" etc. etc. I never know what to say in reply and usually end up saying "thank you" which sounds idiotic since it's the dog they're complimenting and not me!

How do I reply without sounding dorky?

I say "Thank you! We think so too!". Or something to that effect. It's OK to be proud of a family member. When you add that you "think so too", you are agreeing with the complementor's observation and good taste. That's fine! You are not being boastful; you are simply affirming their opinion!

There is nothing wrong with that.

Old 09-28-2023, 04:28 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
I think next time I'm gonna say, " I know! He takes after my father."
Female? "I know she takes after my Mom's Irish side."

One time when asked, ''What kind of dog is that?'' ..."GermanButtsmeller"... I did.

Old 09-28-2023, 05:35 PM

9,459 posts, read 5,229,337 times
I have a really good-looking cattle dog. Compliments are usually 'what a good looking dog, what breed is he? I respond by saying 'thank you, he's a cattle dog, and we think so, too' (that he's handsome).

Old 09-28-2023, 05:49 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times
I reply with "Thank you, he IS awesome!"

And then, of course I compliment THEIR dog.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs