Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2023, 09:19 PM

4,269 posts, read 3,195,287 times

Advertisements

Just curious but what breed of dog are we dealing with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2023, 04:08 PM

23,478 posts, read 19,172,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
Getting a dog behaviorist is expensive.

Dogdaddy might be doable for him if he only needs to do one lesson with the dog.

He doesn't want to give up his dog or keep it in a cage or an enclosed area.

I am guessing for like 5 years, but before I met this guy. I'm still good friends with him.

He really loves his dog despite all the issues. . . .

Dog has all his shots, so nothing of getting sick from anything of that nature.

It's his dog, not mine. So it's his decision. I can only gather information for him because I truly care about him and he's not good with using the Internet, but I am decent with it.
One lesson? Not very likely. It is a long standing behavior for the dog and his owner. It may take time to discover why the dog bites and even longer to re-train the person who's responsible for him. The behaviorist won't be the only person responsible for the training or attitude change. Your friend will need to commit and carry on where the lesson leaves off.

As for cost, a lawsuit can be very expensive too. In this day and age when the majority of dogs are vaccinated against transmissible disease, getting sick because of a dog bite isn't the main concern. The physical and emotional trauma resulting from a bite are. Your friend is taking a huge risk that a bite victim won't flip out and take legal action against him.

IMHO, this isn't really a matter of loving or not. Some forms of love are irresponsible and destructive. If he truly loves his dog he'll buy and learn to use a muzzle. It will keep everyone safer. If the dog wears a muzzle it can't be blamed for inflicting an injury, possibly confiscated, impounded in even more stressful surroundings (where it might be even more likely to bite someone) and/or destroyed. Pretty sad way to lose a beloved pet when it is so easy to prevent it. Sorry OP, but your friend is either in denial, doesn't want to be inconvenienced, is trying to avoid some stigma, deluded, or some combination of those things.

Breed doesn't really matter either. Any dog is capable of biting someone. A bite doesn't need to be severe to trigger consequences.

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-18-2023 at 05:01 PM..

Old 10-18-2023, 11:12 PM

4,246 posts, read 4,924,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
One lesson? Not very likely. It is a long standing behavior for the dog and his owner. It may take time to discover why the dog bites and even longer to re-train the person who's responsible for him. The behaviorist won't be the only person responsible for the training or attitude change. Your friend will need to commit and carry on where the lesson leaves off.

As for cost, a lawsuit can be very expensive too. In this day and age when the majority of dogs are vaccinated against transmissible disease, getting sick because of a dog bite isn't the main concern. The physical and emotional trauma resulting from a bite are. Your friend is taking a huge risk that a bite victim won't flip out and take legal action against him.

IMHO, this isn't really a matter of loving or not. Some forms of love are irresponsible and destructive. If he truly loves his dog he'll buy and learn to use a muzzle. It will keep everyone safer. If the dog wears a muzzle it can't be blamed for inflicting an injury, possibly confiscated, impounded in even more stressful surroundings (where it might be even more likely to bite someone) and/or destroyed. Pretty sad way to lose a beloved pet when it is so easy to prevent it. Sorry OP, but your friend is either in denial, doesn't want to be inconvenienced, is trying to avoid some stigma, deluded, or some combination of those things.

Breed doesn't really matter either. Any dog is capable of biting someone. A bite doesn't need to be severe to trigger consequences.
Agree with this. The legal stuff aside, owning a dog is responsibility. The most important thing above all else is that your dog doesn't harm another person. It is completely irresponsible, imo, to say "oh well he's bitten a few old timers, but his owner loves him." The dog will end up being destroyed at some point if this behaviour continues. Every time it bites a person the owner is playing Russian roulette with the dog's life and, depending on how big the dog is, the person being bitten.

Old 10-24-2023, 11:25 AM

2,588 posts, read 2,707,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
Just curious but what breed of dog are we dealing with?

I can't remember unfortunately. My apologies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs