Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2023, 01:24 PM

23,383 posts, read 18,993,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Good ones, and I would add the animal shelter or humane society.
Yes.

I also agree with the comments re: dog training versus dog behaviorist, though obviously there's a lot of overlap. Training implies teaching basic manners or specific desired skills to a dog. Such as hunting, tracking, dog sports, etc. A behaviorist tends to focus more on solving problems a particular dog may be exhibiting; digging into the underlying reasons for them and helping the dog and it's person change the trajectory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2023, 05:57 PM

4,237 posts, read 4,905,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Yes.

I also agree with the comments re: dog training versus dog behaviorist, though obviously there's a lot of overlap. Training implies teaching basic manners or specific desired skills to a dog. Such as hunting, tracking, dog sports, etc. A behaviorist tends to focus more on solving problems a particular dog may be exhibiting; digging into the underlying reasons for them and helping the dog and it's person change the trajectory.
I've never really understood the difference between the two. If you want to train a dog to perform a complex task like a formal retrieve you need genetics on your side but you also need to have a pretty good understanding of how to motivate and work with a dog to overcome issues the dog (or the the handler) has. Maybe behaviourist is just a fancier word for a dog trainer or one with more experience?

Old 08-12-2023, 12:03 AM

1,843 posts, read 821,481 times
I’m guessing you’re looking for a dog behaviorist because your dog has some kind of socially unacceptable or dangerous behavior. All I can say about that is that dog behaviorists are extremely expensive, there doesn’t seem to be a industry-accepted standard for education/experience, & you definitely will not find them at Petsmart, Petco, etc.

Old 08-13-2023, 04:26 PM

2,582 posts, read 2,695,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
I’m guessing you’re looking for a dog behaviorist because your dog has some kind of socially unacceptable or dangerous behavior. All I can say about that is that dog behaviorists are extremely expensive, there doesn’t seem to be a industry-accepted standard for education/experience, & you definitely will not find them at Petsmart, Petco, etc.
Thank you so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Good ones, and I would add the animal shelter or humane society.
I will add this for my friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
Forget Cesar Milan. His methodology is awful. Makes my list for the Worst Dog Training Possible.

And if your focus is on unusual behavior patterns, and fixing them, then what you are looking for is a behaviorist. I'd start with Patricia McConnell's website - she has links to find qualified behaviorists. McConnell is now retired tho. An active, and absolutely top of the heap, dog behaviorist is Kim Brophey, who owns the Dog Door behavior center in NC. She also has a useful book out - Meet Your Dog. Books - there are tons of good books out there - from good trainers and behaviorists. Like Control Unleashed, by Leslie McDevitt.
By pure accident initially, my link actually berates Cesar Milan already! I just didn't know that a "dog whisperer" could also be a "dog behaviorist".
https://medium.com/@vandanni.hadai/c...g-49dd8cddb391

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
You are looking for an animal or dog behaviorist.
Thank you.

Old 10-13-2023, 01:46 PM

2,161 posts, read 1,159,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
Hi, I have a friend who is looking for a dog whisperer in the area (far NorthEast Philadelphia).
Would anyone happen to have leads or know how to start researching this?

Think Cesar Millian, but much cheaper, lol.
https://medium.com/@vandanni.hadai/c...g-49dd8cddb391

Is there other terminology I should google rather than "dog whisperer"?

Thank you.
Is it a behavioral issue like aggressiveness? If so google Dogdaddy. It works, been using that way of training severe case rescued danger breeds before I ever heard of him.

Old 10-16-2023, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC View Post
Is it a behavioral issue like aggressiveness? If so google Dogdaddy. It works, been using that way of training severe case rescued danger breeds before I ever heard of him.
Yes, dog gets aggressive with some men, usually older men. Usually, it's just barking constantly, but he has bit a few people.

Thank you for the suggestion.

Old 10-16-2023, 06:17 PM

23,383 posts, read 18,993,614 times
Quote:
Yes, dog gets aggressive with some men, usually older men. Usually, it's just barking constantly, but he has bit a few people.

A few people???? How long has this been going on? You started this thread months ago OP. Why isn't this dog wearing a humane muzzle when it is around other people? Even if he thinks a "nip" is no big deal, it's a lawsuit waiting to happen and the poor dog could pay the ultimate price.

https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/tr...hy-how-to-use/

Old 10-16-2023, 06:37 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,406,188 times
Quote:

Method K9 out of Idaho is the best .

Old 10-16-2023, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
A few people???? How long has this been going on? You started this thread months ago OP. Why isn't this dog wearing a humane muzzle when it is around other people? Even if he thinks a "nip" is no big deal, it's a lawsuit waiting to happen and the poor dog could pay the ultimate price.

https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/tr...hy-how-to-use/
Getting a dog behaviorist is expensive.

Dogdaddy might be doable for him if he only needs to do one lesson with the dog.

He doesn't want to give up his dog or keep it in a cage or an enclosed area.

I am guessing for like 5 years, but before I met this guy. I'm still good friends with him.

He really loves his dog despite all the issues. . . .

Dog has all his shots, so nothing of getting sick from anything of that nature.

It's his dog, not mine. So it's his decision. I can only gather information for him because I truly care about him and he's not good with using the Internet, but I am decent with it.

Last edited by chessimprov; 10-16-2023 at 08:19 PM.. Reason: too much info before

Old 10-16-2023, 08:17 PM

Talking the next I-95 Enzo

https://6abc.com/i-95-dog-escapes-ag...z0EcX0zr_lI7lU

I also told my friend that his dog would be the next "Enzo".

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs