Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2023, 09:01 PM

2,192 posts, read 2,327,325 times

Advertisements

While dosing Nexgard for my two shih tzus, the younger one spit out the chewable.
Of course, the older one snatched it before I could grab it up. If anyone has had the experience of your dog ingesting two doses, I'm wondering what, if any, issues you had.

Of course, I'll keep a keen eye on him for any bad reactions. Anything else I need to do? I'm assuming a visit to the pet ER isn't warranted unless there's an unusual reaction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2023, 09:21 PM

54 posts, read 33,317 times
We haven’t used oral but topical. Recently used Frontline on our senior 12 year old husky. Within a couple hours we noticed her pacing weird, she had ataxia (unsteady gait), panting, drooling at the mouth. We brought her to emergency but after waiting a few hours it looked like she was getting better, so we decided to bring her home and monitor. She was fine since. The only thing I can think of is that she might weigh less than the 45lbs dose she previously used, but she hasn’t been weighed in the last 6 months so I’m not sure.

Just keep monitoring or bring to the ER if you want to be extra safe.

Old 06-24-2023, 10:16 PM

Thanks for sharing your experience, chaokat. I'm reading the signs over bad reaction is as you mentioned ataxia, drooling, vomiting, etc. I will definitely be on the lookout.

Old 06-24-2023, 11:04 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,918,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterbird View Post
While dosing Nexgard for my two shih tzus, the younger one spit out the chewable.
Of course, the older one snatched it before I could grab it up. If anyone has had the experience of your dog ingesting two doses, I'm wondering what, if any, issues you had.

Of course, I'll keep a keen eye on him for any bad reactions. Anything else I need to do? I'm assuming a visit to the pet ER isn't warranted unless there's an unusual reaction
This is from the product information:

"No adverse reactions were observed in healthy Beagle puppies over 8 weeks of age when treated with
5 times the maximum dose repeated 6 times at intervals of two to four weeks. Diarrhoea and vomiting
was observed at approximately 5x overdose (25 mg/kg bodyweight) in Collies."

I understand you have a different breed but Beagles are the dogs they use for animal experiments and Collies have a gene that may make them susceptible to more drug reactions which is probably why its in the labeling.

Old 06-25-2023, 12:23 AM

Thank you terracore. That is very comforting info

Old 07-12-2023, 03:40 PM

164 posts, read 113,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
This is from the product information:

"No adverse reactions were observed in healthy Beagle puppies over 8 weeks of age when treated with
5 times the maximum dose repeated 6 times at intervals of two to four weeks. Diarrhoea and vomiting
was observed at approximately 5x overdose (25 mg/kg bodyweight) in Collies."

I understand you have a different breed but Beagles are the dogs they use for animal experiments and Collies have a gene that may make them susceptible to more drug reactions which is probably why its in the labeling.
First off I hate the fact that they used 5 times the maximum dose on those poor puppies. As though that's what they would have your dog prescribed. How wretched they are. I'd like to overdose those ****.
Any way, I know that collie breeds ( we used to have a sheltie many years ago) are susceptible to certain medications more than other breeds. So that breed must be more closely watched. I would have called my vet just to be sure. One of my chihuahuas is a real little pig and needs to be monitored due to meds given to the other dog. He'd swallow anything.

Old 07-12-2023, 03:45 PM

164 posts, read 113,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaokat View Post
We haven’t used oral but topical. Recently used Frontline on our senior 12 year old husky. Within a couple hours we noticed her pacing weird, she had ataxia (unsteady gait), panting, drooling at the mouth. We brought her to emergency but after waiting a few hours it looked like she was getting better, so we decided to bring her home and monitor. She was fine since. The only thing I can think of is that she might weigh less than the 45lbs dose she previously used, but she hasn’t been weighed in the last 6 months so I’m not sure.

Just keep monitoring or bring to the ER if you want to be extra safe.
My daughter had an indoor/outdoor cat years ago. We tried Frontline but he would act like it was a burning sensation when it was applied. Tried it a couple of times then discontinued use. I felt that if he wasn't comfortable then it wasn't worth it. I didn't want to subject him to any pain. He knew better than I did how it would feel.

Old 07-12-2023, 05:13 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,261,693 times
I used Frontline too on a cat I was caring for in my home: started frothing at the mouth. Emergency vet visit. Vet told me never, ever use store bought meds on pets, that they see reactions as such very often. Lesson learned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs