Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2023, 06:15 PM

207 posts, read 508,127 times

Advertisements

I have a border collie and am new to raw feeding. Have a question about bones. When feeding raw beef rib bones, do I let him swallow the bone once all the meat is gone or do I take it away? I've given him chicken drum sticks and he takes the entire thing down. I'm now starting him on beef ribs and want to know how to do it safely. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2023, 06:56 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,333,416 times
Beef bones are ok BUT Never Feed a dog Chicken or any other Bird Bones!!

Old 06-01-2023, 12:22 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,599,150 times
You can feed RAW chicken and other bird bones to dogs. My dogs get Chicken or turkey necks, Chicken backs, chicken feet, drumsticks all fed raw as raw bones do not splinter. You just need to make sure they are chewing them and not swallowing them whole.

Old 06-01-2023, 07:21 AM

4,232 posts, read 4,900,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Our dogs get a chicken wing each every day. Nothing wrong with it at all unless it's cooked.

Old 06-01-2023, 02:16 PM

23,356 posts, read 18,943,186 times
One potential concern I'd have giving raw poultry products is Salmonella.

Old 06-01-2023, 07:46 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,564,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I know what you mean about feeding them chicken bones. One dog we fed chicken bones (like we do both our dogs now) every time we had chicken and he finally died...of old age at 15.

Old 06-02-2023, 12:13 PM

207 posts, read 508,127 times
I understand about the chicken bones being ok, as long as they're raw. As far as beef bones, not to feed weight bearing bones (marrow bones) as it can crack their teeth. Beef ribs can be a concern if they swallow it whole as it will be stuck in the throat and not reach the stomach acids to digest. I'm still on the fence about giving my border collie beef rib bones, and leaning toward beef neck bones. Anyone have a good source for goat or lamb bones? That would be the safest.

Old 06-02-2023, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vesperbelle View Post
Anyone have a good source for goat or lamb bones? That would be the safest.
Do you have a local butcher? That's where I get all my bones. Tell them what you want they'll set it aside.

Old 06-02-2023, 08:23 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,006,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesperbelle View Post
I understand about the chicken bones being ok, as long as they're raw. As far as beef bones, not to feed weight bearing bones (marrow bones) as it can crack their teeth. Beef ribs can be a concern if they swallow it whole as it will be stuck in the throat and not reach the stomach acids to digest. I'm still on the fence about giving my border collie beef rib bones, and leaning toward beef neck bones. Anyone have a good source for goat or lamb bones? That would be the safest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
Do you have a local butcher? That's where I get all my bones. Tell them what you want they'll set it aside.
Availability of some of this stuff may vary by state, due to state regulations. FYI.

I'm a firm believer in good bones for dogs. Keeps their teeth nice and clean. However, even with appropriate bones and supervision, all may not be well in puppy-land. I gave my previous hounds beef neck bones, among others. They are a good meaty chew. I gave the same to my current two: English Shepherds, a cousin farmcollie breed to Border Collies. BC are typically a bit lighter in weight and frame. My ES are ~50 lbs, give or take. And they both broke teeth. The 1st broken tooth was on beef neck bones. The 2nd broken tooth was on chicken - which - as you know - is much less substantial than beef bones.

Anyway, they don't get any bones anymore. While I think my two's teeth are just weak, any vet will tell you when they see broken teeth, it is most commonly associated with chewing on bones. If my two had otherwise good dentition, I might continue to give them bones. But they don't, so I don't.

All that is just to say YMMV!

As for letting the dog eat the beef bones? First off, I would avoid giving my dogs any beef bones that were small enough to swallow whole. If the dog can chew the bone down small enough to swallow, shouldn't be a problem. Dogs have bigger gullets (throats) than people, because they typically don't chew their food much. Bones do digest, so that isn't usually a problem, although under some rarer circumstances they can contribute to blockage. They may poop white tomorrow! All that calcium, you know.

Old 06-03-2023, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
Availability of some of this stuff may vary by state, due to state regulations. FYI.

I'm a firm believer in good bones for dogs. Keeps their teeth nice and clean. However, even with appropriate bones and supervision, all may not be well in puppy-land. I gave my previous hounds beef neck bones, among others. They are a good meaty chew. I gave the same to my current two: English Shepherds, a cousin farmcollie breed to Border Collies. BC are typically a bit lighter in weight and frame. My ES are ~50 lbs, give or take. And they both broke teeth. The 1st broken tooth was on beef neck bones. The 2nd broken tooth was on chicken - which - as you know - is much less substantial than beef bones.

Anyway, they don't get any bones anymore. While I think my two's teeth are just weak, any vet will tell you when they see broken teeth, it is most commonly associated with chewing on bones. If my two had otherwise good dentition, I might continue to give them bones. But they don't, so I don't.

All that is just to say YMMV!

As for letting the dog eat the beef bones? First off, I would avoid giving my dogs any beef bones that were small enough to swallow whole. If the dog can chew the bone down small enough to swallow, shouldn't be a problem. Dogs have bigger gullets (throats) than people, because they typically don't chew their food much. Bones do digest, so that isn't usually a problem, although under some rarer circumstances they can contribute to blockage. They may poop white tomorrow! All that calcium, you know.
Wow, breaking a tooth on a chicken bone! I've never heard of a dog doing that. I'm sure it happens, I've just never heard of it. The lamb neck bones I get from the butcher are perfect. Plenty of cartilage.

There are regulations in the US on the sale of bones? Seems like everything needs some bureaucrat making up laws and regulations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs