Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2023, 02:24 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times

Advertisements

We had one, a male of a protective breed, who would alert to humans fighting on TV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2023, 02:35 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,127,268 times
While watching Westminster, my Swiss shepherd Finn, hopped up in my lap, put his elbows on the arm of the chair and watched a good bit of the Working Dog segment with me. He started intently at the screen, it was funny.

He’s always liked to sit in my lap and watch tv, but those dogs really held his interest. He needs a subscription to dog tv.

Old 05-24-2023, 02:37 PM

14,460 posts, read 12,090,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
We had one, a male of a protective breed, who would alert to humans fighting on TV.

Mine reacted to this as well... any aggressive posturing or rapid movement with weapons... like swords. Which meant she didn't like golf, or baseball.

Old 05-24-2023, 05:13 PM

4,190 posts, read 2,503,893 times
Nope, but my cat does. We watch the nature shows and she especially likes the running herds and large birds. She also likes the RSV commercial with the green line, it's the sound that first gets her attention on that one.

Old 05-30-2023, 01:31 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,662,916 times
Fun thread. Little Guy (Jackhuahua) finds himself staring at the large screen from his perch on the couch whenever there are dogs, especially when you can hear their voices. Tribbles (Shepherd-Sheltie mix) is not nearly as interested. When she hears Huskies howling on the screen she will throw a sideways glance their way, but once she realizes that they're on TV she loses interest. Sweetie (White Shepherd) was not interested at all, but First Dog (Sheprador), a super smart, nervous dog with a vocabulary of 200 words, seemed to think the (small screen, in those days) TV was real, especially whenever a doorbell rang on a show. So we used to tell her, "It's on TV! Relax!" and she did. That became our way of making her less anxious--we'd just tell her "It's on TV!" when something worried her, and it clearly made her feel better.

My parents' last kitty, a British Blue, loved watching TV, especially music programs with classical concerts. She'd be watching those violin bows move in unison, and it fascinated her. She also seemed to like the music.

Old 05-30-2023, 04:06 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,585,319 times
My late dog Dash was the only one of mine that watched TV and he would only watch when an animal was on screen. Sometimes he would then look behind the unit the TV sat on too to see if they were behind it. We would watch dog shows together and when a dog he liked came on screen he would run to the TV give a few barks and turn to look at me like "did you see that dog?" He also really enjoyed watching agility on TV and would stand with his front feet up on the unit the TV sat on and bark when he thought things were getting very exciting. (he himself did agility so maybe understood what he was watching).

TV watching with him was one of the things I really missed doing when I had to put him down. He really was not interested when people were on screen but any type of animal caught his attention. When my mom was getting chemo and we would be visiting her, he spent hours watching Meerkat Manor with her. he would sit in the recliner with her and if the meerkats were in danger, he would jump off the chair and run at the TV barking. Made my mom laugh every time which was something she needed during that time.

Old 05-30-2023, 05:14 PM

14,460 posts, read 12,090,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
My late dog Dash was the only one of mine that watched TV and he would only watch when an animal was on screen. Sometimes he would then look behind the unit the TV sat on too to see if they were behind it.
This reminds my of my horse when I used to be able to let him in the yard to graze. He'd see his reflection in the big front windows and run around the house looking for the horse.

Old 05-31-2023, 12:22 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,585,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
This reminds my of my horse when I used to be able to let him in the yard to graze. He'd see his reflection in the big front windows and run around the house looking for the horse.
That is hilarious.

Old 05-31-2023, 03:23 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,787,820 times
OK, not a dog, but another animal seemingly enjoying TV.

I was visiting friends who lived in an off grid remote cabin on Kodiak Island. They'd play movies with a VCR/small TV in the kitchen powered by a marine battery bank. They told me to watch out for the boreal owl who would show up on one specific perch after dark right where it could peer through the kitchen window. The owl only sat there when the TV was on! The bird's behavior was a hoot (yeah, pun intended).

It just so happened that the garden path to their outhouse passed near the the owl's TV perch. Before you imagine it, this outhouse wasn't some dank dark cobwebby heap of plywood. It was fully equipped: insulated, window vented, lantern lit, cushioned seating, pegs for coats, hats or flashlights, Kerosun heater, stocked with paper goods and a generous sampling of reading material. The path leading to it was bordered with bleached white clamshells and carefully selected lighter colored beach cobble so a flashlight wasn't even necessary most of the year. But I digress. This owl also seemed to enjoy swooping across your line of vision and scaring the you-know-what out of you as you walked to the outhouse. Sadistic little thing.

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-31-2023 at 04:09 PM..

Old 07-09-2023, 09:38 AM

18,467 posts, read 31,624,300 times
if my chihuahua hears a dog bark on the TV, he will get alerted and stop and look, sometimes bark right back, only when he is in the mood though...but he does notice, that much he does do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs