Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2023, 07:28 AM

631 posts, read 398,554 times

Advertisements

I just had a 2nd reminder from my vet to have my dog checked for heartworm and ticks. We live in the city and she's on Interceptor Plus, so I'm wondering if these tests are overkill?

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2023, 07:53 AM

129 posts, read 107,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceira View Post
I just had a 2nd reminder from my vet to have my dog checked for heartworm and ticks. We live in the city and she's on Interceptor Plus, so I'm wondering if these tests are overkill?

Thoughts?
When and where did you get your dog? We adopted our dog from down south and apparently dogs down there are more prone to heartworm so it was important for us to get it tested. Maybe that is why?

Old 05-15-2023, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboucher33 View Post
When and where did you get your dog? We adopted our dog from down south and apparently dogs down there are more prone to heartworm so it was important for us to get it tested. Maybe that is why?
Thanks for replying. She's a retired breeding dog and I got her from a kennel here in Canada almost 2 years ago, so she wouldn't have been susceptible to heartworm.

Old 05-15-2023, 11:59 AM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
The "reminder" may be an automated message to all the practice's dog owners generated by the vet's computer scheduling program. Has your dog ever been checked for either in the past? If so, the results were negative, and your dog has never visited or lived far enough south to pick up ticks or be bitten by the mosquito that carries heartworm, maybe all you need to do is update your dog's record with the vet. Maybe you can "opt out" of these auto reminders once and for all.

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-15-2023 at 01:26 PM..

Old 05-15-2023, 12:14 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
This is very regional. I know people online elsewhere who treat for heartworm religiously, while here in the PNW, I have never done it or had a veterinarian mention it. Not once!

Old 05-15-2023, 12:26 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Most Southern state give meds Year-round.

Contact your vet to see if it's in your area. Heartworms are transmitted by infected dogs via mosquitos. Maybe with the lift in Covid travels dogs in your area have been in Warm Climents!

Old 05-15-2023, 09:56 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
People (and dogs) are getting into "travel mode" with their dogs, so it might make sense to have things looked at, even if you're located in an area that normally doesn't see some ailments. Nowa days, disease can travel at 500mph, in any direction. And if we learned anything about disease lately, it's that it can travel quickly and effect anywhere in the world, after a while.

Old 05-16-2023, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
The "reminder" may be an automated message to all the practice's dog owners generated by the vet's computer scheduling program. Has your dog ever been checked for either in the past? If so, the results were negative, and your dog has never visited or lived far enough south to pick up ticks or be bitten by the mosquito that carries heartworm, maybe all you need to do is update your dog's record with the vet. Maybe you can "opt out" of these auto reminders once and for all.
You're right Parnassia, it looks like an automated email. I'm going to contact their office to opt out of these reminders. We're just coming out of a very long winter here and I haven't seen any mosquitos (yet), also she's groomed regularly, her coat is short (poodle) and if she had any ticks, either myself or the groomer would see them.

Thanks for your input everyone

Old 05-16-2023, 09:11 AM

10,988 posts, read 6,852,461 times
Late to this thread, but I never had my dogs on heartworm meds until I moved to the South. (That means 8 years of no HW meds.) Testing was required prior to their first prescription. If I change to another brand or type, I have to have them re-tested which is costly and I think, unnecessary. If I ever move back West, I may not keep them on heartworm meds, just flea and tick.

I wouldn't think that a show dog from a breeder who lived and lives an urban life would need heartworm meds, but that's just me. OP, please keep us updated on what you decide for the long run. Looks like you've decided against it, for now.

Old 05-16-2023, 02:55 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I wouldn't think that a show dog from a breeder who lived and lives an urban life would need heartworm meds, but that's just me. OP, please keep us updated on what you decide for the long run. Looks like you've decided against it, for now.
Well, mosquito bites can occur in cities too, and a dog that's shown does travel. Sure, the risk of being bitten by a mosquito while living in cities is lower due to a lot less available habitat, but the chance of infection isn't zero for a dog that's travelled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs