Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2023, 05:14 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,068,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceira View Post
I just had a 2nd reminder from my vet to have my dog checked for heartworm and ticks. We live in the city and she's on Interceptor Plus, so I'm wondering if these tests are overkill?

Thoughts?
Absolutely a necessity. Heartworm is expensive to treat, but it's less likely to be deadly if it's caught early. Same with any tick-borne diseases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2023, 05:16 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,068,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Most Southern state give meds Year-round.

Contact your vet to see if it's in your area. Heartworms are transmitted by infected dogs via mosquitos. Maybe with the lift in Covid travels dogs in your area have been in Warm Climents!
I live in NY and I know someone whose dog got heartworm. If you have mosquitos and ticks, your dog can get heartworm or tick-borne diseases.

Old 05-16-2023, 05:39 PM

11,081 posts, read 6,903,040 times
I would err on the side of caution and get the test done. It's not that expensive (at least not where I live) and the meds are $26/mo for one dog (where I live). A once a month chew. That's for Simparica Trio, a rather expensive but very effective drug. It treats Fleas, Ticks and Heartworm. I only administer it 8 months per year (winters and cold weather off). For one dog I have to crush it into his food, but the other one will eat the chew (it's kind of dry and crunchy). A friend of mine gets her pet meds from Canada. I'm looking into that.

Old 05-17-2023, 08:49 AM

631 posts, read 400,473 times
I called the vet and since she's on flea, tick and heartworm protection, there's no need to have the bloodwork done.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Old 05-17-2023, 05:20 PM

4,858 posts, read 3,289,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceira View Post
I called the vet and since she's on flea, tick and heartworm protection, there's no need to have the bloodwork done.

Thanks everyone for your input.

A vet (corporate owned clinic, if that makes a difference) told me once the manufacturer of the product required the tests as part of their 'guarantee'. Made me sign a form that I'd declined the test.

We changed vets shorty after that, largely as result of the changes after going corporation owned.

Old 05-21-2023, 10:45 AM
KB4

1,032 posts, read 1,642,696 times
I'm happy my dog got the snap test for heart worm a few years ago, although he was on the preventative, as he somehow managed to catch it and could be treated once he was diagnosed by proper bloodwork.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs