Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2023, 09:11 PM

2,084 posts, read 1,617,588 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of adopting an older dog.

My beloved Cocker passed away last year at the age of 15. I had had him since he was 11 weeks old.

I didn't think I was ever going to get another dog.

I don't want to go into the circumstances, but fate has brought the chance to have another dog, from people I have known for a long time. She is an older dog, which is what I wanted, a ten year old female who has been a house dog, raised with several other dogs in house and yard. She is supposedly friendly to humans and other dogs and in relatively good health; though she will need to be spayed (whether that will be done before I take her, or whether I will have it done, remains to be decided, due to some unforeseen events in the lives of my acquaintances).

She would be going from a quiet life in rural surroundings to a semi-urban apartment. Her owner told me, after I described my situation, that he believed she could adjust as long as she was given affection and attention, and that she was not a particularly high-energy dog.

My main worry is a 10-year-old dog may not adjust, after spending her entire life, from birth onward, in a quiet country home with one owner, to a new home with a new person, or that it will be traumatic for her for a long time. I am retired and can spend most of my days with her (except for time out for medical appointments). I have a dog walker/sitter to cover the time when I have to be away (medical appointment) and time to introduce them gradually.

Have any of you taken on a ten-year-old dog?

There's a pretty good chance that this dog will live until she is thirteen or fourteen. Her father is still alive at 13.5 years.

There is also a chance I will not outlive her by much, since I have metastatic breast cancer, but I could also outlive her by several years. My tumors are under control (shrunk or gone) for the moment. But that's why I don't want a puppy or even a three or four year old dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2023, 10:21 PM

37,235 posts, read 41,460,327 times
We have taken in two senior dogs when our sons' families could no longer keep them. They did fine.

Would your acquaintances be able to visit on occasion?

Old 05-07-2023, 12:56 AM

No, my acquaintances will not come to visit; I would be delighted to have them come; but they live some 500 miles away and have never been to my state in the 25+ years I've known them. My getting the dog is not going to be easy, since I'm no good at long distance driving; but a friend will help me with it (I'll pay gas and other expenses).

Old 05-07-2023, 05:56 AM

26,064 posts, read 22,268,288 times
We adopted a 7 or 8 year yellow lab several years ago, we had her for 8 years. She had been a breeder for someone that was due with her, as I suspect she stopped producing. She had been left tied in a yard when the current owners at the time moved away.

We were lucky that she was housebroken, leash trained and crate trained. She didn't mind a crate, and would often retreat often in the beginning. The door was left open for her. More and more she came out of her shell. This was our first time adopting an older dog. We are now looking for another, as we are both 68, and a puppy would not only exhaust us, but while we hope to live another 15 years, even if we do, the energy for a dog just might not be available.

For me, 10 years old is really "getting up there". I am wondering what size/breed/mix you might be talking about.

How personally familiar are you with this dog? I know we were quite cautious with the yellow lab due to size, but in her case, she was a golly old gal who just wanted comfort and companionship (after she fully felt we deserved her silly self).

I do understand your position. Let us know what you decide. If you don't end up not taking this dog, sometimes a shelter or rescue will take your name and what you are looking for in a dog and let you know when one comes in.

Old 05-07-2023, 01:41 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,131,505 times
I've loved taking in older dogs. They are grateful and appreciative. If there already a resident dog, he/she will be the example and the elder dog will learn by example. good luck.

Old 05-07-2023, 01:44 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,018,649 times
If it's at all possible, I would think a visit to meet the dog would be a highly desirable thing. That way you'll have a much better idea of who the dog is. In truth, it is a very very rare dog who is a one-person-for-life dog. Most all will adapt to a new situation, given time and space. Even if the dog is of a "working dog" breed, and used to having a job, by 10 they will be slowing down, at least some.

I would say this sounds like a good situation for you!

Old 05-07-2023, 07:42 PM

3,607 posts, read 9,081,348 times
I love adopting old dogs. Our last one was a German Shepherd/Lab mix that was dumped at the shelter, they were told she was 12, turned out after looking at some records she was 14 and we had her for 2 amazing years. She fit right in to being the queen of the house, bonded with us and was the social butterfly of the neighborhood.

Dogs do take a little time to adjust, the 3 days, 3 weeks, 3 months adage is used a lot with shelters but with a dog coming from a home without trauma it may be an easier adjustment. You may have to do some work on walking on a lead if the dog hasn't been one and getting use to new noises but those are both trainable.

Old 05-07-2023, 09:22 PM

5,103 posts, read 12,615,937 times
My good friends have been puppy raisers for Guide Dogs for the Blind for many years. They have also always had a family dog as well as a puppy they are raising for guide dogs. When they lost their last family dog they decided rather then get a puppy or young dog to contact Guide dogs and tell them if they have any senior dogs they need to rehome they were willing to take one. I think it was the next day they got a call saying a 10 yr old dog was being retired and the blind person was getting a new guide dog and could not keep the one being retired.

My friends took her and have had her two years so far. This dog went from a working guide dog to a none working pet with no issues. Last year they came to visit and brought her and we took her to the beach with my dogs. It was her first time running free on the beach and she had a blast playing with my boy, Zephyr. We visited them this year and she is one happy girl. She does have to help raise whatever puppy they are raising and then say goodbye when it goes on to Guide dog school and welcome the next puppy. As a guide dog she went everywhere with her person but as a retired dog she is no longer able to do that so has had to adjust to being left home alone and she has done great with that.

I have another friend that only adopts senior dogs or sometimes a younger dog that needs a hospice type home. It is hard but she loves knowing she is providing a loving home to dogs during their remaining time be it days, weeks, months or a few years. Most of them adjust to her home very quickly and when you see them with her you would never know that they had not spent their whole life with her.

I think the dog sounds like it might be a good match for you and will no doubt love the attention you can give it. Dogs are more adaptable then we humans are.

Old 05-07-2023, 09:55 PM

7,299 posts, read 4,664,298 times
I have rescued many old dogs that have lived anywhere from 6 months to 8 years. They all have adjusted to having a new loving home.

Old 05-07-2023, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
I love adopting old dogs. Our last one was a German Shepherd/Lab mix that was dumped at the shelter, they were told she was 12, turned out after looking at some records she was 14 and we had her for 2 amazing years. She fit right in to being the queen of the house, bonded with us and was the social butterfly of the neighborhood.

Dogs do take a little time to adjust, the 3 days, 3 weeks, 3 months adage is used a lot with shelters but with a dog coming from a home without trauma it may be an easier adjustment. You may have to do some work on walking on a lead if the dog hasn't been one and getting use to new noises but those are both trainable.
According to her current owner, the dog is lead-trained and is not a puller, which is good, and is also used to obeying the "No" command.

I am anticipating at least a few months adjustment, given that this dog will be going from a country home to a semi-urban apartment with nearby walking trails and a large shared-use dog park, as well as not living in the company of other dogs all the time (that might be hardest).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs