Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2023, 10:29 PM

2,084 posts, read 1,617,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
If it's at all possible, I would think a visit to meet the dog would be a highly desirable thing. That way you'll have a much better idea of who the dog is. In truth, it is a very very rare dog who is a one-person-for-life dog. Most all will adapt to a new situation, given time and space. Even if the dog is of a "working dog" breed, and used to having a job, by 10 they will be slowing down, at least some.

I would say this sounds like a good situation for you!

I am definitely going to meet the dog before giving my final OK to adopting her. If she's utterly terrified of me, can't warm up to me at all within a couple of hours' visit, I'll have to leave her there. I don't expect her to cover me with kisses; but I am hoping for at least some sniffs, interest, able to take a treat out of my hand at some point. I also know not to come on too strong.

The dog is a Springer Spaniel, from a responsible breeder who I have known for many years but haven't seen in a long time, who is rehoming a few of his dogs due to his having recently suffered an injury. They are one to two days travel (by car) from me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2023, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
We adopted a 7 or 8 year yellow lab several years ago, we had her for 8 years. She had been a breeder for someone that was due with her, as I suspect she stopped producing. She had been left tied in a yard when the current owners at the time moved away.

We were lucky that she was housebroken, leash trained and crate trained. She didn't mind a crate, and would often retreat often in the beginning. The door was left open for her. More and more she came out of her shell. This was our first time adopting an older dog. We are now looking for another, as we are both 68, and a puppy would not only exhaust us, but while we hope to live another 15 years, even if we do, the energy for a dog just might not be available.

For me, 10 years old is really "getting up there". I am wondering what size/breed/mix you might be talking about.

How personally familiar are you with this dog? I know we were quite cautious with the yellow lab due to size, but in her case, she was a golly old gal who just wanted comfort and companionship (after she fully felt we deserved her silly self).

I do understand your position. Let us know what you decide. If you don't end up not taking this dog, sometimes a shelter or rescue will take your name and what you are looking for in a dog and let you know when one comes in.

I am not personally familiar with the dog, but I am personally familiar with her breeder/owner and the friend who contacted me about the situation; I've known them for over 25 years. The dog is a Springer Spaniel, responsibly bred; the owner is an older person who recently had an injury and is rehoming a few of his dogs to trusted individuals. The dog is also distantly related to dogs I owned for 20 years.

Yes, 10 years is getting 'up there'. This dog just turned 10 at the end of April. Her father is 12.5 years and in apparent good health, living with the friend who contacted me about the situation (her longtime pet and show dog). I'm getting 'up there' too; and my health situation is not the greatest, though my problematic medical condition is under control and dormant at the moment - I don't want a 6-year-old dog, I could live to bury that dog or have to worry about it surviving me. And right now, I'm fine with taking on a dog who is still healthy but not wanting to run me off my feet and giving her a loving home for what time remains to her. Springers can live to be 15 or even 16, but if I only have her for two or three years, that will be worth it, to have a good dog that I will enjoy having.

Old 05-08-2023, 08:59 AM

30,692 posts, read 16,339,431 times
I adopted a 13 yr old deaf dog. I don't think the owners knew she was deaf. If they did, they didn't mention it. She adjusted wonderfully. Only problem was she hated when I sat outside at the picnic table. She wanted me inside.

Had her almost 2 yrs before she started having seizures.

I don't think you'll regret adopting this dog. I certainly didn't.

Old 05-08-2023, 10:08 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,182,225 times
Be warned, bathroom accidents and odd behavior are the norm for very old dogs.

Old 05-08-2023, 11:06 AM

2,333 posts, read 2,018,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
According to her current owner, the dog is lead-trained and is not a puller, which is good, and is also used to obeying the "No" command.

I am anticipating at least a few months adjustment, given that this dog will be going from a country home to a semi-urban apartment with nearby walking trails and a large shared-use dog park, as well as not living in the company of other dogs all the time (that might be hardest).
Just wanted to say, I am less a fan of dog parks than I was some years back. I would regard them with caution, especially with a new-to-you dog. Everything else sounds like you've been thinking this through.

Old 05-08-2023, 12:20 PM

26,067 posts, read 22,268,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLark2019 View Post
Be warned, bathroom accidents and odd behavior are the norm for very old dogs.
My last 3 dogs lived 14.5+ years, all larger dogs, and none had bathroom accidents (there are ways that can be dealt with to include homeopathic remedies or so I have read), but I was home with them most of the time during the last couple years of their lives, so if they had to go more often, it just wasn't an issue. Quirky? Nothing that was a big deal, mostly clingy knowing they weren't the spry girls they once were. Kind of age like people, just at a faster rate.

Old 05-08-2023, 02:36 PM

384 posts, read 287,717 times
we have taken in several senior dogs they ALL had their quirks and all adjusted in their own ways some adjustments we had to make as well, at one time we had 5 dogs 4 of them seniors in a 1000 sqft home and they were NOT small dogs. be very prepared for the very real possibility of bathroom accidents,

Old 05-08-2023, 06:10 PM

1,566 posts, read 1,063,616 times
One thing to consider with senior dogs is the increased medical expenses that come with an older dog. It is a good idea to set aside a few dollars every months in a separate fund so that money would not be a necessary consideration in providing care for the dog.

We adopted a senior dog 2 1/2 months ago. We don't know how old she is as she came from overseas. Right now she is in good physical shape and her only medication is a joint supplement. From the beginning we stuck to our usual routines of coming and going, not spending excessive time "to help her settle in." Although she clings to me and follows me around, she is OK when left alone.

What has helped with her adjustment is we have another dog, so she has fallen in with our established routine of walks, meals, snacks, bedtime, etc. She has had accidents in the house. Partly because she needs to go out more frequently than our other dog and partly because as a former street dog, she was used to going any and everywhere. At first she would go on the sidewalk but now does seek out the grass.

I've read that dogs live in the moment. Keeping that in mind, we try to make every day a good one for her with the goal of having her remaining years living in a comfortable, secure and loving environment. There can be tremendous satisfaction in this.

In regard to the dog's change in environment, we have taken in 4 dogs at various times that were being re-homed for various reasons. All of them settled in right away so I don't think you would have a problem with that.

Let us know what you decide.

Old 05-09-2023, 08:00 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,131,505 times
Great post full of valuable information. It's all spot on, I recognize sit all and it works.

Old 05-10-2023, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
Just wanted to say, I am less a fan of dog parks than I was some years back. I would regard them with caution, especially with a new-to-you dog. Everything else sounds like you've been thinking this through.

I have used local shared-use dog parks very frequently with my last dog. The two that I go to are each about five fenced acres, with grassy surfaces. Most of the dog owners are quite responsible and the dogs good-natured or at least polite. Since I don't have a yard of my own, these places will be the only space my future dog will have to trot around off-leash, which I think is very important for any dog.

I know that there is always a risk whenever one takes a dog off-leash in a space with other other dogs. I plan to start slowly, at off-peak times. She will be used to living and sharing living space and yard time with her 'pack', so I'm hoping that the dog will adjust. I'm used to watching the body language not only of my dog but of any dog within 30 or so ft. of him/her. And picking up after him/her, of course.

My town is also putting in place two new dedicated dog parks (for the first time), but they will be smaller; and I'm not sure about the parking. Still, I will probably try them out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs