Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2023, 05:04 PM

3,377 posts, read 1,974,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin65 View Post
Plenty of food and plenty of water. Trust me. She lives in the lap of luxury. Vet says she's 20 pounds overweight.

And by the way I've already done this 5-6 times over the past 18 months. And absolutely nothing happened. It's just that I'm about to have to do it more due to parents declining health and other things. It's not even really an option. I just posted because I was wondering if others were in the same predicament.

I will keep my eyes open for another dog sitter. But I'm not going to actively search for one like it's absolutely necessary. The dog is just to independent and self sufficient for me to do that. And as I've mentioned I've got back-ups for emergencies.
Twenty pounds overweight is a very serious problem and can have a huge impact on the life span of your dog. It also impacts her daily quality of life. Her body isn't meant to carry that much extra weight and her knees and hips are being strained every day. Her health is the much more pressing problem that needs to be addressed. Leaving food out for extended periods of time for free feeding could be the reason for the excessive weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2023, 05:19 PM

11,510 posts, read 6,027,599 times
As a first time dog owner, I let my Lab get fat. I didn't even notice until friends called it out. Less food, more exercise, and she quickly got trim and svelt. It was a rookie mistake.

Old 05-11-2023, 06:36 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,554,390 times
We have an 11 yr old chihuahua and a 4 yr old dachshund. If we're going to be gone somewhere for a night or two, the dachshund goes to the kennel and the chihuahua stays home. She has gravity feed water and food bowls and we have puppy pads we leave in the bathroom for her. We've done this for several years and haven't had a bit of trouble with her. Couldn't do this with the dachshund. Just to test him, we left him out of his kennel (where he stays when we're gone for a few hours) and rode around town for about 15 minutes to see how he'd do. Every trash can he could get to was spread all over the floor. That's why he goes to the kennel. I like this kennel because if we wanted to pick him up at midnight, there's somebody there to let us get him.

Old 05-11-2023, 06:55 PM

7,144 posts, read 4,557,147 times
I would never leave my dogs alone overnight. I hire a dog sitter to live at my house. Anything could happen and you could come home to a dead dog. 20lbs overweight is huge. I have had some dogs that could free feed but not all can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs