Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2023, 10:30 AM

946 posts, read 776,777 times

Advertisements

Just to clarify, this is not once a week or even once a month for that matter. This is maybe once every other month.

I knew there would be a lot of negative responses because this is a site for dog lovers. But this is more about what's reasonable with an older independent dog.

And it's not selfish at all. Part of the issue is never being able to visit or go anywhere due to my commitment to the dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2023, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
By back ups I assume you mean you have to contact them to check on your dog. What if you were in an accident or medical emergency and unable to contact anyone?

We have hired a pet sitter/neighbor who visited -- played with our dog, took her for a walk for mental stimulation, etc. Our dog became very affectionate toward the pet sitter so it was worth the cost to us. We never had a problem since this pet sitter was known in the neighborhood and came highly recommended. Since you have a web cam this could be used for assurance concerning the pet sitter.
It's actually an experience with watching a previous dog sitter on webcam that changed my opinion about hiring dog sitters.

The sitter would routinely open my front door and my dog would wonder right out into the front yard and could have very easily took off running for a squirrel and get hit by a car on a very busy street. That's just one thing.

Old 05-04-2023, 10:35 AM

11,504 posts, read 6,021,967 times
Your dog will be just fine. The world is not going to end because your dog is left alone overnight on occassion.

Most workers leave their dogs alone all day while they are at work. What is the difference, except the time is extended. You work from home, so your dog enjoys your company a hell of a lot more on a regular basis than my dog got to commuting to work 5 days a week.

You shouldn't feel guilty. Live your life.

Edit: OK, I just read

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin65 View Post
Just to clarify, this is not once a week or even once a month for that matter. This is maybe once every other month.

I knew there would be a lot of negative responses because this is a site for dog lovers. But this more about practicality with an older independent dog.

Ugg, a complete non issue.

Next time, don't ask anybody.

Old 05-04-2023, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Your dog will be just fine. The world is not going to end because your dog is left alone overnight on occassion.

Most workers leave their dogs alone all day while they are at work. What is the difference, except the time is extended. You work from home, so your dog enjoys your company a hell of a lot more on a regular basis than my dog got to commuting to work 5 days a week.

You shouldn't feel guilty. Live your life.

Edit: OK, I just read

Ugg, a complete non issue.

Next time, don't ask anybody.
Sounds like you are on the same page. I have aging parents a few hundred miles away that need my help and visitation and I would like to have some fun every now and then. I can't keep up never going anywhere because of my dog.

Going on a 3-4 day vacation, sure, I would board. Overnight trip just one day, I can't see it being a big deal. Not with modern day webcams.

Old 05-04-2023, 10:56 AM

11,504 posts, read 6,021,967 times
FWIW, if I visited my parents, I would bring my dog. You must have some reason you can't, such as allergies or no yard.

Old 05-04-2023, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
FWIW, if I visited my parents, I would bring my dog. You must have some reason you can't, such as allergies or no yard.
No fenced in yard and can't go in the house. And remember this is overnight. The fence would help for sure. But I can't do anything about that.

Old 05-04-2023, 11:28 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin65 View Post

I knew there would be a lot of negative responses because this is a site for dog lovers. But this is more about what's reasonable with an older independent dog.

And it's not selfish at all. Part of the issue is never being able to visit or go anywhere due to my commitment to the dog.
Some people treat their dogs better than people would treat a little child. Sometimes we forget they are actually animals.

It sounds like your dog is calm and fine alone for extended periods and you have a set up so your dog and go out and do its business, I dont see a problem if you have not experienced problems before.

Is there a friend or neighbor close by that could pop in and check on your dog or a least someone you could tell that you are away overnight and give them a ring when you get back. That way if there was an emergency they would know to see about your dog.

Old 05-04-2023, 11:31 AM

36,423 posts, read 16,036,192 times
I'm leaning towards yes it's ok, although, I would feel better is someone that knew the dog, would go check on her and give her a treat and some lovins.

Old 05-04-2023, 12:44 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,912,913 times
I like the camera idea but I'd want a human back up to call in case something happens in the middle of the night.

Old 05-04-2023, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
I like the camera idea but I'd want a human back up to call in case something happens in the middle of the night.
Yep, I've got back up. At least 2-3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs