Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2023, 08:49 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times

Advertisements

My husband and I want to get a dog. The problem is, we have 3 cats and I don't know if they will get along with a dog. I would hate to introduce a dog and they hate each other.
Now, some background on the kitties. They are siblings, and very attached to each other. We had them since they were just a few weeks old. I have never once heard any of them hiss, had them bit me or anyone else in the family. They are just very mild mannered cats. I don't know if this matters when getting a dog because dogs are not humans. But maybe it matters. That is why I am asking you guys

So, I guess I'm asking, what dog breed is good with cats or does it even matter? Also, what is the best way to introduce the dog to cats?
I would prefer a medium or bigger dog over a small one.

Also, I did hear that its good to have access to a dog free zone for the cats. We do have the basement that is accessible only by a small "cat door" Only a tiny dog would fit thru there"

Thanks in Advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2023, 09:26 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,977,886 times
Breed by itself guarantees nothing. It's temperament which matters most. The ideal dog will have a mellow one, and will have been raised around cats. Adult cats can quickly teach an over-enthusiastic young puppy that they are not play toys.

And yes, having a dog-free zone is a good idea. So is having a few places elsewhere in the house that only the cats can reach (such as one of those tall cat towers) so the cats can get away when they're tired of being around the dog.

Old 04-04-2023, 10:06 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Breed by itself guarantees nothing. It's temperament which matters most. The ideal dog will have a mellow one, and will have been raised around cats. Adult cats can quickly teach an over-enthusiastic young puppy that they are not play toys.

And yes, having a dog-free zone is a good idea. So is having a few places elsewhere in the house that only the cats can reach (such as one of those tall cat towers) so the cats can get away when they're tired of being around the dog.
Thank You. I can get a couple of cat trees. I was looking at labs and golden retrievers. But are they also good "watch dogs" or are they just to sweet?

Old 04-05-2023, 08:32 AM

1,343 posts, read 1,370,556 times
Are you thinking of adopting an adult dog, or a puppy? I believe you'll have better luck with the cat situation if you start with a puppy, BUT they are a LOT of time-consuming work (though SOOO adorable).

Old 04-05-2023, 09:20 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,139,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Thank You. I can get a couple of cat trees. I was looking at labs and golden retrievers. But are they also good "watch dogs" or are they just to sweet?
Golden retrievers are NOT good watch dogs. They're super friendly, and will hold the door open for home invaders. lol

And I would disagree that breed doesn't matter. Some dogs are VERY prey motivated. If something is small and wiggly, they're going to attack it. Personally, if I had 3 gentle cats, I would avoid terriers. I hear beagles and retrievers are good with cats...as far as bigger dogs go.

Old 04-05-2023, 10:30 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,977,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
And I would disagree that breed doesn't matter. Some dogs are VERY prey motivated.
The reason I said breed doesn't matter is that you can run into dogs with a high prey drive in any breed (although as you note, some breeds are more likely to produce that than others). A dog with a high prey drive is going to be a serious problem regardless of what breed or breed mix it happens to be.

Old 04-05-2023, 10:38 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
I think a lot will depend on a slow introduction, a place for the cats to themselves (your basement is good), and supervision for the first few months.

Of course the temperment of your cats and the new dog will matter.

My sister has a cat, and 2 dogs over 50 lbs. She also dog sits for the family when needed (2 smaller dogs), and my dog visits frequently (90 lbs).

That cat rules them all with an iron paw. They walk around showing respect by doing everything possible not to make eye contact, and if the cat decides it's going to sleep on a dog, that dog freezes and doesn't move for the rest of the night.

I still watch my dog closely around the cat because he gets a little worked up at times, he is halfway between terrified and wanting to play.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-05-2023, 11:05 AM

631 posts, read 398,554 times
I can't recommend any specific breed other than to advise against any hounds or any breed that has a high prey drive. Are you thinking of getting a puppy or an adult dog? Have your cats been exposed to dogs in the past?

When introducing your dog to the cats I would suggest keeping them separate initially and let each of them have something of the other to smell. So it would be a good idea to keep the cats in the basement for a few days initially, that would give the dog time to recognize the cat smells before actually meeting them. Also, keep the dog on a leash and eventually when they are all in the same room, supervise them as much as you can.

Best of luck!

Old 04-05-2023, 11:20 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,139,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
The reason I said breed doesn't matter is that you can run into dogs with a high prey drive in any breed (although as you note, some breeds are more likely to produce that than others). A dog with a high prey drive is going to be a serious problem regardless of what breed or breed mix it happens to be.
Would you agree that terriers, in general, would not be good around cats?

Old 04-05-2023, 03:23 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Most rescues attempt to evaluate their available dogs. Tolerance for/experience with cats is one of the common tests. If you don't want to raise a puppy contact a rescue about cat-neutral candidates. Literally every potential rescue dog I've considered adopting had been evaluated for cat tolerance or interest. Some dogs only show interest in a cat if it runs.

But, this will only get you so far. If the cats have never been around dogs and they're used to the status quo over years, the dog's lack of interest may not matter. The cats have their little society all worked out. Even if the dog doesn't care too much about the cats, the upheaval could disrupt the cats's relationship and create new strife between them.

Do you know anyone with a cat-neutral dog? Maybe a few visits would help you gauge how well the cats would handle such a change in their lives.

I agree that you can't really generalize by breed. Dogs are individuals. Many sporting or working breeds will have higher inherent prey drives (prey drive was desirable because it influences aspects of working ability) but they can also be trained to suppress it a bit easier because they tend to care more about pleasing their humans.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-05-2023 at 04:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs