Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2023, 07:31 AM

11,032 posts, read 6,875,918 times

Advertisements

I'd love to have farm animals. Having lived on a ranch for a while, I know how much work it is. Still, it brings so much joy.

As it was, we had hamsters, snakes, bearded dragons, cats, kittens, dogs, birds... I know I'm forgetting something!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2023, 08:13 AM

5,012 posts, read 10,692,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
My husband and I want to get a dog. The problem is, we have 3 cats and I don't know if they will get along with a dog. I would hate to introduce a dog and they hate each other.
Now, some background on the kitties. They are siblings, and very attached to each other. We had them since they were just a few weeks old. I have never once heard any of them hiss, had them bit me or anyone else in the family. They are just very mild mannered cats. I don't know if this matters when getting a dog because dogs are not humans. But maybe it matters. That is why I am asking you guys

So, I guess I'm asking, what dog breed is good with cats or does it even matter? Also, what is the best way to introduce the dog to cats?
I would prefer a medium or bigger dog over a small one.

Also, I did hear that its good to have access to a dog free zone for the cats. We do have the basement that is accessible only by a small "cat door" Only a tiny dog would fit thru there"

Thanks in Advance
My German Shepherds have always been great with cats. I had since she was a puppy. She would sometimes chase the cat but it was playful. As my vet said, as long as the cat has some place to go, like an elevated area or under a table/couch/bed where the dog can't get them (especially when prey drive kicks in), then you should be fine.

That said, I have been fortunate to have cats that are dog savvy and/or friendly.

My current GSD rescue was initially very reactive to my cats (and they to him). I kept them separated for about a month and, after that, every one was fine. In fact, my youngest male cat is best friends with my dog. But, again, my cats have always been around dogs, so it was simply a matter of them acclimating to this new dog as opposed to dogs in general, which is trickier.

I have heard that Greyhounds can be problematic with cats because of their high prey drive and coursing nature.

I would either get a puppy or foster to adopt. And, of course, I recommend a German Shepherd

Old 04-11-2023, 12:33 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times
Thank You all for all the replies. I like German Shepards too.

Old 04-11-2023, 07:55 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
I have a dog + 3 cats, and have for quite some time now (with another dog/cats in the past). My previous dog was a Cattle Dog x German Shepherd/etc mix, who I adopted as a puppy... I had two older cats at the time, and they were NOT happy about it! They hid for a few weeks, and when they finally emerged he tried to herd them. He got a swipe of cat claw to the nose, and that was the last time he messed with them. He ended up being with me for almost 17 years, through other cats once those older ones passed on, and he was wonderful with them all.

Now I have a husky, who I adopted as an adult dog. Huskies aren't known for being cat-friendly, since they typically have a high prey drive. But as others here have stated, it's more about individual temperament than breed. His foster said he was fine with the cats he'd met, and had a more mellow energy than most huskies. They were correct, and he was amazing with the cats from day one (been over a year now). So really it's hard to predict either way, but your safest bet is a puppy you can raise with them - or an adult who's been proven as cat-friendly in their previous home/foster. Don't just pick up a random public pound dog, since they're rarely tested with small animals. If you go the adult/rescue route, find a private rescue where they're kept in foster homes to assess behavior.

And yes, definitely give the cats a bunch of safe spaces or climbing areas regardless. Even once they're established, they might still need the occasional "me time." Baby gates work well, and they even make some with cat flaps built in. Good luck!

Old 04-11-2023, 07:59 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Here's what I mean by a baby gate with cat flap - only works if you have a larger dog, of course: https://a.co/d/fngrqJW. It's nice because sometimes older and/or heavier cats can't easily clear the height of a baby gate. Two of mine would struggle, since one is 15 and the other is a fatty. lol

You could also try this "Door Buddy" thing, which I've been considering myself (for when I foster or have guests with dogs): https://a.co/d/0K4EPXD

Old 04-12-2023, 12:04 AM

This is what we have now. It leads to to he basement where there cat box is . Its a big basement with lots of space.

I want to get a dog, but I already have 3 cats.-screenshot_20230412_010159_facebook.jpg

Old 04-12-2023, 01:53 AM

7,541 posts, read 3,241,406 times
I don't like the idea of displacing the cats and relegating them to the basement. It seems it would lead your relationship to them in a negative direction. Next you will notice behavioral problems. Next blame the cats. I do not see how this is fair to the animals.

Old 04-12-2023, 01:58 AM

My cats have access to every room.in the house. The reason I have a cat door to the basement is so we can have the cat box down there. And...if we get a dog they could have their own space if they wanted to...idk.

Old 04-12-2023, 11:07 AM

7,541 posts, read 3,241,406 times
More isn't always better.

Old 04-12-2023, 12:56 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
What if the cats don't acclimate to sharing a home with a dog? The reason I ask is that Craiglist is full of people "rehoming" dogs because Fluffy didn't approve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs