Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2023, 08:52 PM

30,438 posts, read 52,088,616 times

Advertisements

I've been debating this for a while, and hoping the folks here can help me to decide... should I get a second dog or not? Here's the deets:

- Boris (my current dog) needs a friend. He's a ~2.5 year-old husky, rescued last year, who absolutely LOVES to play with other dogs. We go to the dog park on my days off, and so far he's yet to meet a dog he doesn't like. He does have a preference for certain types, usually other northern breeds or large shepherds, but hasn't ever shown aggression or dominance towards any. He's quite submissive, and will adapt his play to the other dog. Sometimes he even tries barking like they do, instead of his usual woo-woo sounds.

- I live alone and work full-time outside of the home, gone 8-10 hours at a stretch with my commute. He has free run of the house + yard access via the dog door. He is fine, never destructive, but probably gets bored. My neighbor said she hears him howling sometimes, but not every day or constantly.

- With my current schedule, it's too late for dog park when I get home at 10pm. We go to a nearby regular park instead, where he runs around by himself. Not ideal, but better than nothing. I've also recently arranged for "doggy daycare" with a woman (and her dog) once weekly, and he's always super tired and happy when I get home on those days. But it's $50 per day, so not really sustainable 5x/week in the long run. I could technically afford it, but $1000/mo for doggie daycare is a tad excessive! More than just getting a second dog lol.

- I also have 3 cats. Boris gets along great with them, but they've been a hurdle in finding another compatible dog for our household. I did a foster-to(possibly)-adopt with a young Aussie mix, and he was terrorizing them too much. So he went to a different forever home.

- Financially, I can handle another one without any issues. And yes, that will likely be true in the foreseeable future (no need to get more detailed than that).

- I own my home, and we're not part of an HOA or anything. So I can do what I want, aside from city ordinances. Honestly, I might already be at the max for total household pets; but I doubt anyone would care or notice if I went one over, unless they became a nuisance. Obviously I would do my best to avoid that, and folks where I live mostly mind their own business.

- I am considering relocation in the near future, and might have to rent for a short time before buying a house where I end up. That is one concern I have, since renting with 2 not-small dogs + the cats would be a challenge. Even with a generous budget, I'd either have to lie or find THE most pet-friendly landlord ever. I will never give up a pet because of this, so if worst comes to worst I'll buy a freaking trailer until I find a house to purchase.

I'm happy with just the one dog, so I am only considering this for Boris's sake. Is that a good enough reason, when considering all of the above? And I'd only rescue, adult dogs preferably. I'd love to get a puppy, especially with the cat factor, but as a single working person that's not a great plan. There's a chance I'll be living with a friend if/when I relocate, but that's a big if. In that case, she'd be happy to help me "co-parent" a puppy. Maybe wait until then?

Photo for attention; this is Boris playing with his mini-me friend at the dog park.

Last edited by gizmo980; 03-30-2023 at 09:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2023, 08:54 PM

Oh, and I did have 2 dogs for a short time after getting Boris - and before my old guy (Rudy) passed away. It was easy enough to manage, but Rudy was 16 years old at the time. So he mostly just slept, and had no interest in going out with us. Basically was like only having one, tbh.

Last edited by gizmo980; 03-30-2023 at 09:11 PM..

Old 03-30-2023, 11:18 PM

13,932 posts, read 39,411,243 times
Getting along in mutual territory like the Dog Park is great BUT when at home things may be different. You have any long Vacation time coming up? And a way to separate them when you are not home? where they can see each other & play together with a fence keeping them apart, And a camera so you can see how it's going without you?

Old 03-30-2023, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Getting along in mutual territory like the Dog Park is great BUT when at home things may be different. You have any long Vacation time coming up? And a way to separate them when you are not home? where they can see each other & play together with a fence keeping them apart, And a camera so you can see how it's going without you?
He did great with the foster dog, so I’ve already tested this theory… they were alone (together) when I was at work all day, and nobody was dead or injured when I got home. We’ve also had other dog visitors, one who stayed over for a few nights, and he was totally cool with them too. And yes, I do have a “nanny cam†I use to check on my critters sometimes.

Your concerns are valid, though, since my old dog was like that. He did okay with about 60-70% of the dogs he met in public, but only maybe 5% in our home. That’s why he was an only dog for 16 years, until those last 6 months after I got Boris. By then he was so old, plus mostly blind and deaf, I knew it wasn’t an issue any longer. And they did fine.

Old 03-30-2023, 11:38 PM

Oh, but no - I can’t take ANY vacation anytime soon. I’m totally out of PTO (except sick leave) after the California storms, and they won’t even let me take leave without pay in the meantime. Oy. And separating them would be challenging, unless I kept one from having access to the yard. They can only get to the yard through the downstairs room, due to the layout of my property.

Old 03-31-2023, 08:26 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,077,212 times
I just adopted a second dog and love it. Highly recommended.
What are the pet-friendly rental options in the area? Maybe postpone adopting a second dog until you're settled in the new location?

Old 03-31-2023, 09:07 AM

9,370 posts, read 14,210,329 times
Seems like you would be better off waiting until you find your next house that you own. It will be extremely hard if not impossible to find a rental allowing the five pets. Even two dogs where one is large might be difficult.

And it sounds like you are managing very well right now. Yes each 50$ spent is an expense, but it helps maintain your necessary flexibility. Meanwhile it sounds like a fun lifestyle.

Old 03-31-2023, 10:38 AM

14,634 posts, read 12,305,115 times
Since you're working too much to potty train a puppy.... Consider adopting an adult dog. You can take yours to go play with them to see if they seem compatible. And it usually works better to get the opposite sex.

Old 04-03-2023, 07:32 AM

1,345 posts, read 1,384,012 times
You're not kidding about the "mini-me"!! That's hilarious!

I agree with the other posters who say to wait until after the move is accomplished. Not only the interim rental problem, but the selling a house with an extra dog in it. Maybe that won't be an issue, but when we had our house on the market with two dogs, and we worked at home, we had to scramble and get ourselves out before every showing - no fun to figure out cool places to go with two dogs (on a regular basis) during a scorching Texas summer.....

We're deliberating over a similar issue -- a SUPER-dog-loving dog who might love to have a friend at home. We, too, have had multiple dogs in the past, and I know we can do it, but I also know that each of our resident dogs was not exactly thrilled to have the new dog arrive to stay. ("When is she leaving?," the established dog(s) seemed to be asking us, two days in.) It all worked out, but it's just a reminder that our dogs might not want what we imagine they want.

The new location might have some sort of nearby in-home daycare (someone's home business, for instance) that might be a good fit for Boris -- or some similar solution that is unique to that area.

Good luck with the decision.

Old 04-07-2023, 08:40 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,238,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post

- I am considering relocation in the near future, and might have to rent for a short time before buying a house where I end up. That is one concern I have, since renting with 2 not-small dogs + the cats would be a challenge. Even with a generous budget, I'd either have to lie or find THE most pet-friendly landlord ever. I will never give up a pet because of this, so if worst comes to worst I'll buy a freaking trailer until I find a house to purchase.

I'm happy with just the one dog, so I am only considering this for Boris's sake. Is that a good enough reason, when considering all of the above? And I'd only rescue, adult dogs preferably. I'd love to get a puppy, especially with the cat factor, but as a single working person that's not a great plan. There's a chance I'll be living with a friend if/when I relocate, but that's a big if. In that case, she'd be happy to help me "co-parent" a puppy. Maybe wait until then?
We moved with a dog and a cat. There were houses available to rent - but none had an easy access to a fenced in backyard. So you'll find something, but the layout will be difficult.

We had a lovely male rescue dog who needed a friend. We got a female rescue dog who has slightly smaller. They were best buddies. My older dog really took to the job of a senior statesman. My younger dog had been abused and needed the constant reinsurance from the older guy. Best situation ever!

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs