Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2023, 07:33 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,917,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiveMeCoffee View Post
I just adopted a second dog and love it. Highly recommended.
What are the pet-friendly rental options in the area? Maybe postpone adopting a second dog until you're settled in the new location?
To clarify, I am not actively planning a move at this time - it's just something I have been mulling over, but nothing is actually in the works yet (if ever). And I own my home where I am now, so rentals aren't an issue. I was just thinking for future consideration, it might be more complicated if/when I move to have two dogs. I also don't even know where I'd be moving, so it's hard for me to answer this question regardless.

P.S. Apologies to everyone who replied here for my absence, but I was in C-D jail over something dumb. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2023, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Since you're working too much to potty train a puppy.... Consider adopting an adult dog.
I mentioned that in my OP, but I know it was really long... so no worries on missing that, but I did say I'll be likely getting an adult dog. I'd love a puppy, but realize it's not really feasible with my current schedule. Plus you get to skip all the non-fun parts of puppy raising!

Quote:
You can take yours to go play with them to see if they seem compatible. And it usually works better to get the opposite sex.
Yeah, we've done a few play-dates with potential adoptees already. Boris gets along with any dog, really, so it's more about how the other dog interacts. He doesn't seem to have a gender preference, either. If anything, I'd say he tends to gravitate towards other males. He can get a little jealous with the ladies, lol.

Old 04-11-2023, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1963 View Post
You're not kidding about the "mini-me"!! That's hilarious!
They really look too much alike! And even weirder, they live on my (rather small) street. We've exchanged numbers.

Quote:
I agree with the other posters who say to wait until after the move is accomplished. Not only the interim rental problem, but the selling a house with an extra dog in it. Maybe that won't be an issue, but when we had our house on the market with two dogs, and we worked at home, we had to scramble and get ourselves out before every showing - no fun to figure out cool places to go with two dogs (on a regular basis) during a scorching Texas summer.....
As I just mentioned above, the whole moving thing is only an abstract thought at this time. Could happen within the year, or might not even happen at all. And if I do move within the next year or two, I'll likely keep my CA house as a rental property. With the rate and price I got, it wouldn't make sense to sell quite yet... I could make waaaay more in the long run by hanging on at least 3-4 more years. Thankfully I can do that, and still have enough to fund my potential move.

That being said, yes. If I do end up having to rent anytime soon, it would be difficult with 2 dogs + 3 cats. I'd probably just "omit" the cats from my applications, but it's harder to hide two dogs - especially larger ones. Worst case, I'll buy a trailer/camper until I can settle and buy a real house wherever I'm living.

Old 05-02-2023, 08:03 AM

6,340 posts, read 4,892,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post

- I am considering relocation in the near future, and might have to rent for a short time before buying a house where I end up. That is one concern I have, since renting with 2 not-small dogs + the cats would be a challenge.
I was waiting for that shoe to drop.

My advice: Wait until you own your next home.

Boris will appreciate it.

Old 05-04-2023, 08:57 AM

946 posts, read 774,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I've been debating this for a while, and hoping the folks here can help me to decide... should I get a second dog or not? Here's the deets:

- Boris (my current dog) needs a friend. He's a ~2.5 year-old husky, rescued last year, who absolutely LOVES to play with other dogs. We go to the dog park on my days off, and so far he's yet to meet a dog he doesn't like. He does have a preference for certain types, usually other northern breeds or large shepherds, but hasn't ever shown aggression or dominance towards any. He's quite submissive, and will adapt his play to the other dog. Sometimes he even tries barking like they do, instead of his usual woo-woo sounds.
I would say yes just because of this comment.

I'm almost in the opposite situation. I've often thought about another dog, but my dog acts like she could care less about other dogs. It's not that she's aggressive, but just cares to much about sniffing and looking around to bother running around with any other dogs.

When she was 1-3 years old I boarded her often and she was around other dogs all time. I spent thousands on daycare, etc.. But when I stopped doing that, it was almost like why did I bother? She seemed to not care at all about other dogs.

Old 05-09-2023, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
I was waiting for that shoe to drop.

My advice: Wait until you own your next home.

Boris will appreciate it.
For what shoe to drop? As I said, the relocation thing was just an abstract idea - and I can afford to buy another home if/when that happens, so most likely that's what I would do anyway. At the most, I would maybe rent for a few months if I had to settle first. Probably not happening now regardless, so I'll be staying put for the time being.

At any rate, I adopted a second dog last weekend. See my post I'm about to make on that!

Old 05-11-2023, 07:26 PM

7,067 posts, read 4,510,340 times
I always have 2 dogs even though I am retired. Dogs are pack animals and need a buddy. Glad you got Boris a buddy).

Old 05-14-2023, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I always have 2 dogs even though I am retired. Dogs are pack animals and need a buddy. Glad you got Boris a buddy).
My old dog (Rudy) was reactive, especially in our home - so having a second dog wasn't an option, until he got old enough not to care. But yeah, Boris is certainly more pack-oriented! Typical of the breed, as huskies are bred to work as a team. He is very happy with his new brother so far. I swear he thanked me in awooos.

(picked up the new guy on Friday, and so far he's doing great)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs