Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2023, 03:58 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,663,854 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I'm 60 years old and live alone, so I've been thinking about getting a dog for companionship for a while. I've never owned or been around a dog before, so I don't know what that experience would be like.

My job sometimes requires me to work on-call on an 8-8 shift for 7 days, so I don't know how this would affect a dog being able to be outside to take care of business.

Also, for the first time in my life, I finally have the freedom to come and go freely. My older brother and his wife have two dogs, and so he says he can't ever get away for much more than a few hours at a time This concerns me as I wouldn't want to be in that sort of position. I wouldn't have a problem bring a dog along on any road trips or vacations. I know what many hotels now allow dogs.

Do you think having a dog would still be a good option for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2023, 04:23 PM

23,354 posts, read 18,943,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
Hello everyone. I'm 60 years old and live alone, so I've been thinking about getting a dog for companionship for a while. I've never owned or been around a dog before, so I don't know what that experience would be like.

My job sometimes requires me to work on-call on an 8-8 shift for 7 days, so I don't know how this would affect a dog being able to be outside to take care of business.

Also, for the first time in my life, I finally have the freedom to come and go freely. My older brother and his wife have two dogs, and so he says he can't ever get away for much more than a few hours at a time This concerns me as I wouldn't want to be in that sort of position. I wouldn't have a problem bring a dog along on any road trips or vacations. I know what many hotels now allow dogs.

When you say "on call" would you be waiting at home or away from home during those shifts? If you are actually away from home for 12 hour shifts over multiple days that's going to be a challenge. A healthy adult dog can "hold it" for about 10 hours but doing so regularly does put them at higher risk for urinary tract infections. If you have a fenced yard or have space to put in a dedicated dog run, a dog door could solve that problem.

As for companionship, so much of that depends on your relationship, whether you commit to socializing with and exercising the dog when you are home, and how socially needy the dog happens to be. Some dogs would be fine, others wouldn't.

Almost any pet will require some of your time each day. If you'd rather remain independent of that type of responsibility, don't get one. It isn't realistic to expect your dog to be welcomed everywhere when you travel (not just hotels, but tourist areas, parks, in cabs, etc. You can't count on it being safe to leave your dog in your car. Flying with a dog can get complicated and expensive). Not all dogs enjoy travel.

Last edited by Parnassia; 03-18-2023 at 05:18 PM..

Old 03-18-2023, 04:33 PM

5,016 posts, read 10,709,352 times
Quote:

Is there any way the dog could come with you on these shifts? If not, you could hire a dog walker.

As long as the shifts aren’t all of the time, I’d say that having a dog is still feasible. But it also depends on the kind of dog you plan on getting.

Old 03-18-2023, 04:50 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,781,119 times
Quote:
I wouldn't have a problem bring a dog along on any road trips or vacations. I know what many hotels now allow dogs.
It's not as easy as it looks. Most pet-friendly hotels have rules against leaving your pet alone in the room while you're out sightseeing or having a meal or whatever, and road trips can be problematic if you want to go into a restaurant or other not-so-pet-friendly environment. Leaving them in a hot car for even short periods is just wrong, and it doesn't have to be hot outside for car interiors to heat up quickly low enough. My dog attracts attention, so I don't leave him alone in the car even if temperatures are low enough.

Doesn't mean you can't go on vacation because of the dog. Some pet-friendly hotels have dog sitting services, and there are niche resorts specifically for pets and their people. It's not difficult to take dogs on camping trips, but you have to be mindful of wildlife, ticks, blue-green algae, and other environmental hazards. Personally, I leave mine at a boarding facility when I got on vacation.

Old 03-18-2023, 05:17 PM

4,230 posts, read 4,900,568 times
Quote:

Also, for the first time in my life, I finally have the freedom to come and go freely. My older brother and his wife have two dogs, and so he says he can't ever get away for much more than a few hours at a time
Unless the dogs have some special medical need there is no reason why someone would only be able to leave a dog for a few hours. Our dogs get a big 90 minute walk in the morning and another, shorter, one in the evening. During the day they sleep. They really don't care whether we are at home while they're lounging and sleeping. Remember, most dogs sleep anywhere from 12-16 hours a day. They don't need constant stimulation and they can adapt to most routines. Most dogs are left alone while people go to work. Most dogs have no issue with it.

Old 03-18-2023, 07:51 PM

1,343 posts, read 1,376,421 times
Quote:

I love dogs and I think they enrich and improve my life, but they do impose a lot of lifestyle changes and in some cases limitations. Based on what you've posted about your job, being a new dog owner, and wanting to enjoy the freedom to come and go in this phase of your life, I would not recommend that you get a dog.

Does your brother life nearby and do you and he get along? If so, I'd suggest seeing about perhaps dog-sitting his dogs on occasion when you have some free time. That might let him and his wife go on longer outings (or even, eventually, short trips), and let you see how you like having the dogs' company.

If you do decide to get a dog, you might consider looking to adopt an older, bonded pair of dogs. Yes, it's more work and expense in one way, but in another way, it would be a LOT easier for them to have instant, familiar company as you're learning the ropes.

Good luck with this decision. I think you're wise to proceed with caution, even if it sounds attractive.

Old 03-18-2023, 07:59 PM

48,557 posts, read 34,927,283 times
If you love to come and go as you want, then probably a dog is not the right fit.

They are a lot of work. Traveling with IS possible, but again, it can be a pain. Driving you need to stop and let them stretch their legs and take potty breaks, hotels might charge more for pets, they may have restrictions on size/breed, they shouldn't be left alone for large lengths of time (they are social animals), and most need a lot of exercise.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-19-2023, 08:39 AM

11,083 posts, read 6,921,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
If you love to come and go as you want, then probably a dog is not the right fit.

They are a lot of work. Traveling with IS possible, but again, it can be a pain. Driving you need to stop and let them stretch their legs and take potty breaks, hotels might charge more for pets, they may have restrictions on size/breed, they shouldn't be left alone for large lengths of time (they are social animals), and most need a lot of exercise.
I agree with this. 12 years ago when I got my first dog, it was a huge adjustment after not having a dog for many years. It is a huge lifestyle change. I got my second dog 10 years ago. I love them to pieces and they enrich my life tremendously, but they are a lot of work. They are very housetrained, so they can be left for several hours without incident. One time I got stuck and couldn't get home and was gone 12 hours. I was amazed that there was no accidental elimination. That's not the norm for most animals.

At this point in my life I love my dogs to pieces but they are actually preventing me from moving on in a way that I really need to. Still, I will never get rid of them or forsake them. They are sentient beings with intense feelings. They are sweet, affectionate, and a joy to be around. They are old and I can wait.

That being said, IMO your situation sounds less than ideal for getting a dog. If you do get a dog, I'd suggest two, so they can keep each other company. That's why I got a second dog, so that he could keep her company while I was away working a split shift 2-3 hours in a.m. and in p.m. It worked out very well.

Another thing is, if you have a dog for a long time your life will change - maybe more than once. My life is very different from when I first got my dogs. A lot of people told me to get rid of them after the change. No. I made a commitment and I'm going to keep it. I also get criticized for feeding my dogs quality food and treats that cost extra money. That's been my insurance against vet bills, and it has worked.

If your circumstances are going to change, which one can never predict, you have to think of the dog. One of my dogs would adjust very well to being rehomed but the other one would not, unless he went with her.

By the way, I got my first dog at 59 and the second at 61. Think about things going forward. I have more health issues now, the dogs are a lot of work and it's gotten more difficult. If you gave a wonderful home to a needy senior dog (like if he/she had to be rehomed for whatever reason, like an owner's death), it might be the best option. My 13-14 year old boy is, to me, the best dog in the world.

Old 03-20-2023, 08:56 AM

7,182 posts, read 4,576,439 times
I got my first dog as an adult at 50 and within a year got a second to keep her company. Pets are for life so be sure you can make that commitment. They are a lot of work, money and will do messy things like vomit and pee or poop inside if sick or left alone for too many hours to hold it. They however are so loyal and loving that I will never be without one.

Old 03-20-2023, 04:31 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,070,656 times
A dog is a 15+ year commitment. If you've never been around a dog before, start there. Hang out with your brother more. Go to dog parks and talk to people. Volunteer at a shelter or rescue. Buy a book on dog training. This is not a decision that you should make blindly. (Pro-tip: Do NOT get a puppy as your first dog. Their little puppy cuteness wears off quickly and they are a LOT of work and time. They also cannot be alone for long stretches of time).

For the 12-hour shifts, you're going to need a dog walker and/or doggie daycare. No dog should be alone that long without access to a bathroom. How often are you expected to work a week of 12-hour shifts?

It IS possible to come and go, but it's harder to be spontaneous. If you're not traveling someplace that's dog-friendly, you're going to need a dog sitter or boarding. This can get $$ and availability is limited on holidays. That said, we love taking our dog on family road trips. My dog is always the best behaved child in the car. There are a surprising number of hotels and Air BnBs that are pet-friendly, especially if you get a smaller breed.

Having a dog is amazing - so amazing that I just adopted a second dog. But like any other relationship in life, it's work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs