Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2023, 01:18 AM

7,386 posts, read 12,689,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
Hello everyone. I'm 60 years old and live alone, so I've been thinking about getting a dog for companionship for a while. I've never owned or been around a dog before, so I don't know what that experience would be like.

My job sometimes requires me to work on-call on an 8-8 shift for 7 days, so I don't know how this would affect a dog being able to be outside to take care of business.

Also, for the first time in my life, I finally have the freedom to come and go freely. My older brother and his wife have two dogs, and so he says he can't ever get away for much more than a few hours at a time This concerns me as I wouldn't want to be in that sort of position. I wouldn't have a problem bring a dog along on any road trips or vacations. I know what many hotels now allow dogs.

Do you think having a dog would still be a good option for me?
You're getting a lot of excellent advice here. What caught my attention is that you say you want a dog for companionship for a while. How long might that be? A few months? A few years? You get a dog, and it is yours--and you will be its person--for the rest of its natural life. The bonding that happens involves the same brain hormones as humans bonding with their children--and children bonding with their parents, and if one is involved with one's dog, it becomes a symbiotic relationship. Most humans no longer marry "until death do us part," but that's exactly what it's like to have and to love a dog.

I got my very first dog at the age of 53 without really knowing anything at all about dogs, because I was a cat person, so I do understand. I learned quickly--First Dog taught me. A few options come to mind (and some of them may not work out, because of circumstances):

1. Get to know your brother's dogs--if you live in the same general area. That's a piece of advice you've already gotten several times upthread. Find out what makes them happy, and what bothers them. Learn their body language. They do speak to you, with their eyes, their tail, and their ears. They may even smile at you. And of course they have a number of sounds that carry meaning.

2. You may try that dog park thing--go there, watch them play, and greet every one that comes up to you. Say Hi in an upbeat tone of voice. If the owner approaches you, be upfront about wanting to learn, so they don't mistake you for a dognapper. People frequenting dog parks without their own dog are sometimes viewed like people hanging out at playgrounds without a kid of their own...

3. Volunteer to walk dogs at your local Humane Society (if they will let you, not being a dog owner), and get the feel of a dog on a leash. Short, safe walks. If you feel comfortable around dogs, they will generally be comfortable around you. If you're nervous and insecure, it will be transferred to the dog.

4. If you're still thinking about getting a dog, adopt one of the dogs you've been walking--one you can relate to. One who is happy to see you every time. You'll know that you've saved a life, and the dog actually also knows that you are its rescuer.

5. And if you're still reluctant, and feel that you can't commit to all that bonding--and at least two walks a day, for "business" as well as for mental stimulation--there's nothing wrong with saving a cat instead. That's also for the duration of the cat's life, but as we all know, they are independent souls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2023, 07:32 AM

16,296 posts, read 10,440,979 times
I've found watching a friend's dog is not as fulfilling. It's just not the same petting someone else's dog compared to the love you share when you pet YOUR dog.

As for hotels I have never had a problem. Red Roof Inns are pet friendly, but you need to check ahead as some may not be. They say they have a weight restriction but they don't have a scale at the office and I had no problem with a 100 pound German Shepherd at several Red Roof Inns. I put a Do Not Disturb sign out front so housekeeping does not enter and get the crap scared out of them. I have a young one now that I won't be able to trust as we go to dinner so I'll purchase a portable crate on Amazon.

But leaving any dog alone for 12 hours is not possible. But as posted you can and absolutely need to hire a dog walker for those days.

But all this is nothing compared to the joy you feel when you get home and experience the unconditional love your dog will give to you. The dog won't care that you are late or that you had a bad day, they only know how to love their owner. If you are tired of coming home to an empty house with nobody to talk to then I'd recommend you get someone who will change all of that. You won't believe how wonderful it is to own a dog.

Old 03-21-2023, 08:24 AM

11,083 posts, read 6,921,266 times
A 12-hour shift 7 days in a row is pretty brutal. You will be tired coming home to a dog that has needs. It would be better to get a calm dog, not something like a retriever, shepherd, cattle dog, etc. They need a lot of exercise and stimulation. Researching a calm dog that prefers cuddling and sleeping is a good idea. There are plenty of those types.

I stayed at a La Quinta Inn and Suites right off I-40 in New Mexico last year. Very nice place. I have two big dogs. No questions asked. I always leave my hotel rooms as I found them, with sheets and towels piled neatly on the floor. Never had a problem. Many hotels and motels have changed their pet policy due to so many people having dogs these days.

Old 03-21-2023, 08:56 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,921,767 times
No - no dogs and I say that because there are several indicators as to why you shouldn’t become a first time dog owner.

the first and most important one in my mind is:

“Hello everyone. I'm 60 years old and live alone, so I've been thinking about getting a dog for companionship for a while.

There is no such thing as “for awhile”, then you do what with dog? Take it to a she,ter, dump it off somewhere “?

I get that you want companionship but a dog is not the answer, nor do I know what might be, at this juncture of your life. Since I am 76 I can say that

Old 03-21-2023, 08:57 AM

48,559 posts, read 34,927,283 times
I'll let the OP speak, but I think he means he has "been thinking for awhile" about getting a dog.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-21-2023, 02:54 PM

7,386 posts, read 12,689,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I'll let the OP speak, but I think he means he has "been thinking for awhile" about getting a dog.
On second reading I think you're absolutely right. Sorry to have jumped to conclusions about only wanting a dog "for a while," OP.

Old 03-21-2023, 03:40 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,921,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
On second reading I think you're absolutely right. Sorry to have jumped to conclusions about only wanting a dog "for a while," OP.
I did the same thing. Hopefully the OP will come in and clarify

Old 03-21-2023, 09:35 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,333,416 times
May I suggest a Bonded pair of Fixed CATS! I had several neighbors in your situation that have Cats! Great on Long work hours & they take them on Vacation too!

Old 03-22-2023, 05:09 AM

16,296 posts, read 10,440,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
May I suggest a Bonded pair of Fixed CATS! I had several neighbors in your situation that have Cats! Great on Long work hours & they take them on Vacation too!
Hey take this to the cat board!

Actually it's a good suggestion.

OP how about adopting a senior dog for your first time? A young dog is a challenge and it will be harder for a first time owner.

Old 03-22-2023, 05:37 AM

50,390 posts, read 64,083,206 times
We are in our 70s, and are on our second dog from foster. He is a dachshund, so under 20#. Size is important at our age.

We have a doggy door and a fenced back yard. Our dog can be left alone for many hours.

Although we have traveled with him, it is a pain. Hotels charge more for pets. We can’t leave him alone in the room, because he will bark. So this means we can only eat breakfast separately, and get carryout dinners.

Even so, we enjoy the dog very much most of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs