Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2023, 10:37 AM

22,331 posts, read 29,421,443 times

Advertisements

My bf has a 15 year old Dachshund and it's time to put the dog down. The dog can barely walk and it's having extreme labor breathing. The breathing is so bad that I can hear it from another room. The dog is also deformed with its back. It's now hunched back instead of being straight and you can see his entire spine bones poking out of his skin. He's not underweight-it's from being hunch back.

He allowed his previous Dachshund to basically die a horrible death because he didn't want to put it down when it had brain cancer.

I WILL NOT allow that to happen again. He thinks because the dog is eating and drinking that he's fine. It very, very clearly is not. The dog has also been starting to use our house as a toilet even though he's being let out almost 6 to 7 times a day. It's costing us $300 every 3 months to get the carpets cleaned. These are carpets that cost us $5000 in May of 2020. It happened again today even though he had been let out not even 2 hours prior.

How do I get him to do the right thing?? I'm the one having to deal with all of this while he's at work and it is time.

Old 02-27-2023, 10:58 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times
It's not your decision.

However, you might start asking for carpet cleaning expenses if the dog's lack of bladder control is the only reason you are cleaning the carpets. Also, confine the dog to a room with solid surface flooring. Give him a nice cushy washable bed to sleep on. At his age, the dog is probably not doing much but sleep all day, so he can be kept in a small area with a good soft bed,

Old 02-27-2023, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
It's not your decision.

However, you might start asking for carpet cleaning expenses if the dog's lack of bladder control is the only reason you are cleaning the carpets. Also, confine the dog to a room with solid surface flooring. Give him a nice cushy washable bed to sleep on. At his age, the dog is probably not doing much but sleep all day, so he can be kept in a small area with a good soft bed,
I understand it's not my decision. If it was, he would have been put down years ago when he broke his spinal cord and was paralyzed. Instead, the bf spent $11,000 on him. He's really had no quality of life since then. Now, it's beyond worse.

The only room I have solid surface in is in a bedroom and that is absolutely not happening. He refuses to walk on them. He's never even entered that second bedroom. He has 3 beds to sleep on as well. We live in a tri-level so it's gotten to the point where he has to be carried up and down the stairs.

I also forgot to add he's constantly throwing up bile. It's been happening for months.

He also had what we think is a stroke the other night. He woke up and started turning in circles constantly. Couldn't get him to stop. He then literally couldn't walk the next two days.

It is time.

Old 02-27-2023, 12:32 PM

5,010 posts, read 10,690,867 times
As oreganowoodsmoke stated, it isn’t your dog, so it isn’t your decision to make.

I know that it is frustrating to live with a sick and old dog but what BF and the dog need right now is your support, not your complaints.

If you can’t be supportive, then be silent. Or move out.

Old 02-27-2023, 12:47 PM

F
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
As oreganowoodsmoke stated, it isn’t your dog, so it isn’t your decision to make.

I know that it is frustrating to live with a sick and old dog but what BF and the dog need right now is your support, not your complaints.

If you can’t be supportive, then be silent. Or move out.
I will not be moving out of MY OWN house for an old dying dog. Mod cut: rude

Last edited by Mikala43; 03-01-2023 at 06:00 AM..

Old 02-27-2023, 02:02 PM

5,010 posts, read 10,690,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I will not be moving out of MY OWN house for an old dying dog. That's got to be the most idiotic thing to say.
Then ask him to move out. Also, I do not know the particulars of your living situation, so please don’t refer to my response as “idiotic.”

I suggest that you consider speaking with a professional therapist re: this situation.

Old 02-27-2023, 02:07 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,066,278 times
I'm not sure how you want CD users to react to this post. The "not your dog, not your decision" argument has already been made. I hear you - animal bodily fluids are not fun to clean. But your partner is clearly not going to entertain your arguments in favor of euthanasia.

Why are you the nursemaid for this dog? Can your BF take off of work and take care of his dog? Maybe a day cleaning up the aforementioned fluids and noting the dog's diminished quality of life will help him make the decision.

Old 02-27-2023, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Then ask him to move out. Also, I do not know the particulars of your living situation, so please don’t refer to my response as “idiotic.”

I suggest that you consider speaking with a professional therapist re: this situation.
WE OWN the house together. You even suggesting one of us moves out of a dwelling for an old dying dog is ridiculous. Our living situation has NOTHING to do this situation.

Are you even aware of what you are saying?? If anyone needs a therapist, it sure isn't me.

Old 02-27-2023, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiveMeCoffee View Post
I'm not sure how you want CD users to react to this post. The "not your dog, not your decision" argument has already been made. I hear you - animal bodily fluids are not fun to clean. But your partner is clearly not going to entertain your arguments in favor of euthanasia.

Why are you the nursemaid for this dog? Can your BF take off of work and take care of his dog? Maybe a day cleaning up the aforementioned fluids and noting the dog's diminished quality of life will help him make the decision.
What I was looking for was suggestions on how to bring this up in ways I haven't already. The suggestions I am getting are beyond ridiculous. Move out of my house, see a therapist..Give me a break.

He is aware of the situation with the dog. He is choosing to ignore it. The dog is suffering. I don't want it to. He wants to ignore it and pretend it isn't happening. At some point, I may just have to handle it on my own.

Old 02-27-2023, 04:30 PM

491 posts, read 324,474 times
You could write a diary entry as if you were the dog, explaining how difficult every little thing has become and how you are in pain all day. Hopefully, that will open his eyes to how the dog is suffering through this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs