Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2023, 08:15 PM

4,216 posts, read 4,885,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
What ideology are they turning it into?
I only recently discovered there is a thing called "positive only." Have the proponents ever worked with anything other than a lapdog? Lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2023, 09:43 AM

4,252 posts, read 3,171,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
I only recently discovered there is a thing called "positive only." Have the proponents ever worked with anything other than a lapdog? Lol.
"Positive only," in my opinion is nothing more than a joke! A fad! Yes, you can achieve "decent" results but some of the old tried and true methods are faster and more effective in training dogs to a high level. Dogs tend to remember a "proper" correction! Note: Many people don't understand the concept of a proper correction....you don't beat the hell out of the dog....you don't yell and scream at the dog, you don't hurt the dog!

Old 03-17-2023, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
"Positive only," in my opinion is nothing more than a joke! A fad! Yes, you can achieve "decent" results but some of the old tried and true methods are faster and more effective in training dogs to a high level. Dogs tend to remember a "proper" correction! Note: Many people don't understand the concept of a proper correction....you don't beat the hell out of the dog....you don't yell and scream at the dog, you don't hurt the dog!
I don't understand how positive only would work when teaching a dog not to chase a cat etc.

Old 03-17-2023, 07:29 PM

35,013 posts, read 16,972,291 times
Can you train a dog not to hit people with their tail?

Old 03-18-2023, 12:12 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,071,084 times
I just knew my cattle dog would make the hardest dog to train and own list.
These dogs are not for everyone (the lazy dog owners).
The ones I’ve had were very easy to train.
They are easy because we work with them.

Most dogs are too smart to be left on their own to figure things out.
Would you do that to a 5 year old child?

Giving a little guidance throughout the day or your off hours goes a long way.
Sadly most people don’t get that and are the ones that really need the training.

Old 03-19-2023, 12:00 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,818,131 times
First 2 posts nailed it. Just nailed it.

Old 03-19-2023, 02:50 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,723,072 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
Positive reinforcement means you never say 'No' to the dog, you don't 'correct' the dog. The concept is that you 'redirect' their focus onto something else. You're basically asking them to do something, not telling them to do something.

Some may say that I use 'positive' training, but I actually go about things a different way. Basic manners are not that difficult to teach when you realize that the only way your dog is going to listen to you, is when you create an environment that brings the dog to the point that he WANTS to do what you say.

Bonding + Leadership + Fairness + Trust = Respect.

When I bring a dog home for the first time, I allow them to roam and get used to it. I let the cats and the dog work out their differences.

After that, I spend several weeks to a month doing nothing more than building the bond. I got a new dog in September from the pound. In that initial bonding time, I never told him 'no', I never corrected him, I never trained him to sit, stay, heel, etc. I just wanted him to know that I was the provider of everything. And he learned that very fast.

While on leash, I would make a noise to get his attention. At first, I wanted to see what he would do. He would turn his head and race back from the end of the leash, jump, and push off of me with his front paws. He seemed to love doing that, so I took advantage of that, and we kept doing it. That helped segue into testing him when off leash, later on.

When I became confident that he was going to come back if I made that noise, I let him walk around the complex without the leash. I would do it really late at night, when no one else was around, and allowed him some freedom on the lanes.

He would always look back to see if I was still there, so I took advantage of that, too. I would let him get ahead, and before he could look back to see if I was still there, I would make the noise to get his attention. He would turn his head to see me, I'd lower myself, and he would come running. I made it a game, and a reinforcement for him to know that I will always be there, I'm not abandoning him. That was not only bond building, it was trust building.

I took him on the long walks around the lake I live on to get him used to seeing other people and other dogs. At first, he didn't like males, he didn't like almost all other dogs, and he made a scene. As the days went on, he barked less, and eventually, except for a shirtless guy, (he deserved it, put a shirt on), he stopped barking at males. He still barks at some dogs, not all, but it's dogs that he wants attention from.

Once I knew that we had a good bond, and he was trusting me, then I started on "training". He already knew 'sit'. Then, I started on 'focusing'. By this time, with the bonding and trust, this dog was already looking at me a lot. Once you have that, it's not hard to get a dog to start focusng on you without 'negative' (as they call it) reinforcement. I'll give one out for free:

Once your dog knows how to sit, you get treats. I use dog biscuits that he can clearly see in my hands. I stand in front of him, hold my arms out to the sides, treat in each hand, and look at him. What happens is that the dog stares at the treats. Back and forth, side to side, looking at each treat.

Eventually that dog looks at you. 'Wth, mate? Why are you not giving me those treats?'

As soon as that dog looks at me , I give one of the treats. Do this often, and slowly lengthen the time they have to look back at you and not the treats. It will click. The next thing you know, you can stand in front of your dog for a minute and he will stare at you the entire time. Then, you go outside with distractions. Minor at first, working your way up to major.

Heeling requires training. It doesn't need to be some long, drawn out, tiresome training. It can be done in an afternoon.

Dog is on leash. Dog is pulling at end of leash. Biggest mistake most people make? They yank back on the leash from their height. That doesn't do diddly squat. It's a simple move (and get rid of those stupid 'retractable' leashes because you have zero control over your own dog):

Dog is approaching the end of the leash and is clearly not concentrating on you, you lower yourself down. You allow the dog to reach the end of the leash on his side, and you, now at their level, flick your wrist which snaps the leash. That dog will understand, immediately, what you're asking him to do. (No, it doesn't hurt them, it gets their attention) You will need to reinforce that a few times, but it won't take long at all for that dog to figure out 'you don't pull me on walks, you walk by my side'.

OR, you can be "positive only", and spend weeks and months stopping and starting, walking backwards, changing direction, walking around the same orange cones on the floor of the pet store, doling out treats constantly, clicking and saying 'YES' as enthusiastically as possible the second the dog 'does it right', over and over and over and over again, week after week after week....stupid.

For 'pet only' dogs, I do not believe in e-collars that shock. I can't say anything about hunting dogs, or police dogs, dogs trained as guard dogs, etc, because those are far different than 'I want my dog to have manners and not destroy the place'.

It starts with bonding.

It moves to trusting.

You must be fair. (Your dog does not speak English. Expecting immediate results is not fair.)

You must be the leader. The die hard 'positive' trainers don't believe in a hierarchy, which is stupid, because were these dogs in the wild, that is exactly how it would be. You are the leader, not them. Anxious dogs, stressed out dogs are dogs that have no leader.

Those create Respect.

When your dog respects you, your dog will do what you tell them to do. No need to treat your dog like a tiny child, and no need to treat your dog harshly.

Last edited by Three Wolves In Snow; 03-19-2023 at 03:01 PM..

Old 03-19-2023, 07:12 PM

Quote:

It starts with bonding.

It moves to trusting.

You must be fair. (Your dog does not speak English. Expecting immediate results is not fair.)

You must be the leader. The die hard 'positive' trainers don't believe in a hierarchy, which is stupid, because were these dogs in the wild, that is exactly how it would be. You are the leader, not them. Anxious dogs, stressed out dogs are dogs that have no leader.

Those create Respect.
I agree with this. The reality is that almost anyone can teach a dog to do something for a treat when there are no distractions. Once you step into the real world you find out that that piece of chicken you're holding isn't as exciting as chasing the neighbour's cat. If they can get 100% recall on a drivey dog without using corrections then I will take my hat off to them and be very impressed. That's dog whisperer level.

Quote:
For 'pet only' dogs, I do not believe in e-collars that shock. I can't say anything about hunting dogs, or police dogs, dogs trained as guard dogs, etc, because those are far different than 'I want my dog to have manners and not destroy the place'.
I don't think it's about the role of the dog as much as the dog itself. A dog with high prey drive that's a family pet is still a dog with high prey drive. There's a lot of misconceptions about what an e-collar actually does.

Last edited by BCC_1; 03-19-2023 at 07:40 PM..

Old 03-19-2023, 09:23 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,723,072 times
Quote:
I agree with this. The reality is that almost anyone can teach a dog to do something for a treat when there are no distractions. Once you step into the real world you find out that that piece of chicken you're holding isn't as exciting as chasing the neighbour's cat. If they can get 100% recall on a drivey dog without using corrections then I will take my hat off to them and be very impressed. That's dog whisperer level.

I don't think it's about the role of the dog as much as the dog itself. A dog with high prey drive that's a family pet is still a dog with high prey drive. There's a lot of misconceptions about what an e-collar actually does.
I know exactly what an ecollar is and what it does. I also know that far too many people use it incorrectly. Instead of taking the time to train, they just zap the dog. That's not the proper use of an ecollar, which is why I'm against them for a 'pet only' dog. People are lazy and want the 'easy way out'. All that's going to do for most lazy dog owners is teach their pet to fear them. That's not 'respect'.

As for 100% recall, the only time I don't have that is when a deer goes galloping by us, unexpectedly. The reason is because it happens very rarely, and while I knew there were 3 deer in the foresty area around the lake where I live, I hardly ever saw them. The first time my dog saw them, I didn't even realize he was chasing the deer until I saw just the white of the tail as they disappeared into the forest. He did come back though...about 10 minutes later.

But even when he's chasing squirrels, which is the #1 thing he likes, if I call him to me, he comes back. I attribute that to the first several weeks of 'bonding' when I would make the noise to have him come running back. Because he was under no pressure at all to listen (we were not in 'training' mode), he decided that he really liked, even more than squirrels, to come racing back to me. I made it a game from the beginning, and I poured on the affection when he did it.

I don't use treats to get him to recall, and never did. In fact, the only time I used treats was on the 'focus' game. I had to have him focus on something besides me, and since he doesn't care for anything else in the entire pet store besides SOME treats, that's what I used. Other times, I will use treats and hide them all over the place to keep his mind busy, especially on rainy days when he doesn't get to go out and run around in the forest.

I don't believe in 'bribing' a dog to 'get them to listen'. Again, when you get your dog to the point that they WANT to do what you ask/tell them to do, then you have a well trained dog.

Old 03-19-2023, 11:25 PM

Quote:
I know exactly what an ecollar is and what it does. I also know that far too many people use it incorrectly. Instead of taking the time to train, they just zap the dog. That's not the proper use of an ecollar, which is why I'm against them for a 'pet only' dog.

People are lazy and want the 'easy way out'. All that's going to do for most lazy dog owners is teach their pet to fear them. That's not 'respect'.
Why would you be against the use of a training tool because some people use it incorrectly? That makes no sense to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs