Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2023, 11:05 AM

10,495 posts, read 7,026,221 times

Advertisements

My Cavapoo is 2.5 years old (not spayed) and has changed in personality much over the past few weeks. As a puppy she was extremely submissive to other dogs, and listened to other commands we never had any bathroom issues.

After a couple month break of going to the dog park, I brought her back a couple weeks ago and she just wants to bark and fight against any dog that approaches her. Even now on a leash when we walk around the neighborhood she wants to bark at other dogs, to say get out of my space.

So yesterday I usually work from home, but went into the office. My fiance was home with her the entire day. The dog was extremely excited when I came home. After being home for 30 minutes, I decided to lay on my bed and rest/scroll through the phone before dinner. The dog came in and started nipping at the bottom sleeve of my shirt and my hand trying to play with me. It was quite annoying, so I played with her for a few minutes and then left to dinner.

After dinner I came back to my made bed, and she urinated right in the middle of it at some point after I got up. We put her on the bed and scolded her, and she looked like she was afraid of her life. Change the bed sheets, and at bedtime (she sleeps in the bed) I told her she can't come in the bed and she walked out of the room. After of about 30 minutes we decided to bring her back into the room, and she was very nervous to come back to bed by herself.

Anyway, I don't know what is causing the behavior. I just chalked up the more aggressiveness to other dogs, as part of becoming an adult. The whole pee in the bed situation, I think was a sign of disrespect towards me. Not really sure how I should/can handle this going forward, obviously it was a one time thing, but I don't want it to reoccur.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2023, 03:59 PM

23,326 posts, read 18,903,694 times
Comments in BOLD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
My Cavapoo is 2.5 years old (not spayed) and has changed in personality much over the past few weeks. As a puppy she was extremely submissive to other dogs, and listened to other commands we never had any bathroom issues.

After a couple month break of going to the dog park, I brought her back a couple weeks ago and she just wants to bark and fight against any dog that approaches her. Even now on a leash when we walk around the neighborhood she wants to bark at other dogs, to say get out of my space.

A dog's social skills can stale if they aren't practiced. She hadn't been around other dogs for a couple of months. She had no way of knowing the situation was temporary. It is also possible the usual ocupants at the dog park had changed and so had the dynamics.

So yesterday I usually work from home, but went into the office. My fiance was home with her the entire day. The dog was extremely excited when I came home. After being home for 30 minutes, I decided to lay on my bed and rest/scroll through the phone before dinner. The dog came in and started nipping at the bottom sleeve of my shirt and my hand trying to play with me. It was quite annoying, so I played with her for a few minutes and then left to dinner.

Is having someone home with her all day an unusual occurrence? It's possible she was unusually ramped up because of it. You wrote that she was overly excited. So, you kept her ramped up with play. Basically, you rewarded her for being annoying instead of ignoring behavior you didn't like. As for the actual bed wetting, it is possible she got to the point she needed to pee and bed just happened to be where she was when that moment came. Dogs can make mistakes.

After dinner I came back to my made bed, and she urinated right in the middle of it at some point after I got up. We put her on the bed and scolded her, and she looked like she was afraid of her life. Change the bed sheets, and at bedtime (she sleeps in the bed) I told her she can't come in the bed and she walked out of the room. After of about 30 minutes we decided to bring her back into the room, and she was very nervous to come back to bed by herself.

Why did you scold her? Sounds as if some time had passed between the actual bed wetting and you discovering it. It does no good to punish a dog for something it has forgotten all about. All you did was give her a reason to be afraid of you! The time to correct a dog's behavior is right before it starts or during the event, not an hour or so after the fact!

Anyway, I don't know what is causing the behavior. I just chalked up the more aggressiveness to other dogs, as part of becoming an adult. The whole pee in the bed situation, I think was a sign of disrespect towards me. Not really sure how I should/can handle this going forward, obviously it was a one time thing, but I don't want it to reoccur.
These events might not be related. I think I would go through a more gradual re-introduction to the dog park (don't go when its busy, keep her leashed and let her get re-acquainted with the other dogs on her terms one at a time instead of just chucking her into the deep end of the pool) so she can re-learn that it's a safe place.

I would probably also do a NILIF refresh with her to remind her that you are the person she should mind, and also the person she can trust. Before she gets something she wants, ask her to do something she knows...it can be very simple such as sitting before being allowed on the bed, before she gets her food, before she goes for a car ride, etc.

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-10-2023 at 05:17 PM..

Old 02-10-2023, 04:45 PM

4,227 posts, read 4,897,773 times
Quote:

The dog was nipping at you and in response you played with the dog. The dog then peed on YOUR bed. The dog is reactive toward other dogs when you're around (I'd wager good money if you're not around the dog has zero/mild reactivity toward other dogs). All those behaviours would lead me to assume the dog thinks it's in charge and you need to be "looked after."

Agree on the NILIF basics. The dog needs leadership.

Last edited by BCC_1; 02-10-2023 at 04:55 PM..

Old 02-10-2023, 06:38 PM

6,880 posts, read 4,884,868 times
It's a dog. It doesn't think like you. It isn't showing disrespect towards you by peeing in the bed. It may have issues, physically such as a bladder infection, or it may be over excited, or anxious, but it isn't trying to disrespect you, upset you, or make you angry. I suggest you read some books on dog behavior.

Old 02-11-2023, 04:31 AM

34,098 posts, read 83,032,310 times
Quote:
At about 18mo's Cheech started showing symptoms of what eventually became a CCL ligament surgery.
During the six months or so period he became extremely intolerant and defensive of his hind quarters.
Even ordinary puppy play would have him over-react and lash out. Sometime it got ugly.

Old 02-11-2023, 08:38 AM

2,333 posts, read 2,003,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Comments in BOLD.

Why did you scold her? Sounds as if some time had passed between the actual bed wetting and you discovering it. It does no good to punish a dog for something it has forgotten all about. All you did was give her a reason to be afraid of you! The time to correct a dog's behavior is right before it starts or during the event, not an hour or so after the fact!

These events might not be related. I think I would go through a more gradual re-introduction to the dog park (don't go when its busy, keep her leashed and let her get re-acquainted with the other dogs on her terms one at a time instead of just chucking her into the deep end of the pool) so she can re-learn that it's a safe place.

I would probably also do a NILIF refresh with her to remind her that you are the person she should mind, and also the person she can trust. Before she gets something she wants, ask her to do something she knows...it can be very simple such as sitting before being allowed on the bed, before she gets her food, before she goes for a car ride, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
At about 18mo's Cheech started showing symptoms of what eventually became a CCL ligament surgery.
During the six months or so period he became extremely intolerant and defensive of his hind quarters.
Even ordinary puppy play would have him over-react and lash out. Sometime it got ugly.
I think MrRational's point is that you should watch for symptoms of physical causes, and should get a thorough vet check-up to rule out any possible physical causes. Which you should absolutely do.

I agree with Parnassia on the rest of this. I know there is a strong emotional need on your part to punish bad behavior. I know that because I feel that all the time, and I always have to remind myself not to act on it. There are better ways to train a dog than punishment. It is only very rarely that punishment is an appropriate (or effective) answer.

BCC_1's point about WHEN this girl is reactive is also possibly useful. If she is NOT reactive when you are not around, that DOES say something! I don't agree that this is likely, but you'll have to test that theory. Have a friend, not your fiance, walk the dog and report reactivity. Your fiance may already be inside the dog's mental "family" bubble, so may get the same response as you. Someone outside the family bubble needs to test the reactivity. OTOH, I don't think this point really matters a whole lot, because regardless of whether she is "protecting" you - or just reactive for herself - you both need to learn more about each other. She needs lessons in public manners, and possibly confidence building activities. You need to learn more about what makes her tick and how to manage it. Which brings me to training.

You don't mention training, but if you AREN'T actively involved in training lessons, I would say do so sooner, rather than later. You'll learn something and so will she, and together you will create a better partnership.

Old 02-11-2023, 01:44 PM

3,249 posts, read 3,206,948 times
Thyroid problems can also cause sudden behavior changes. And UTI’s can cause a housebroken dog to lose bladder control. If a refresh of obedience manners, such as NILIF, doesn’t result in improvement, I’d see my vet to rule out something physical.

Old 02-11-2023, 04:20 PM

23,326 posts, read 18,903,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
Thyroid problems can also cause sudden behavior changes. And UTI’s can cause a housebroken dog to lose bladder control. If a refresh of obedience manners, such as NILIF, doesn’t result in improvement, I’d see my vet to rule out something physical.
I also meant to mention that some behavioral change in general might signal a medical problem. If she's due for a vet check maybe now's the time. The bed peeing could have been a one off, but if peeing in inappropriate places or needing to go outdoors more often keeps happening, I'd definitely have her checked for a UTI. You may be able to collect a sample and drop it off at the vet's for analysis. Not difficult to diagnose.

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-11-2023 at 04:53 PM..

Old 02-11-2023, 04:34 PM

4,227 posts, read 4,897,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post

BCC_1's point about WHEN this girl is reactive is also possibly useful. If she is NOT reactive when you are not around, that DOES say something! I don't agree that this is likely, but you'll have to test that theory. Have a friend, not your fiance, walk the dog and report reactivity. Your fiance may already be inside the dog's mental "family" bubble, so may get the same response as you. Someone outside the family bubble needs to test the reactivity. OTOH, I don't think this point really matters a whole lot, because regardless of whether she is "protecting" you - or just reactive for herself - you both need to learn more about each other. She needs lessons in public manners, and possibly confidence building activities. You need to learn more about what makes her tick and how to manage it. Which brings me to training.

You don't mention training, but if you AREN'T actively involved in training lessons, I would say do so sooner, rather than later. You'll learn something and so will she, and together you will create a better partnership.
I think the reactivity is important because of the other things going on that the OP mentioned. If the dog is reactive toward other dogs without the OP or his fiance present then it's a hell of a lot easier problem to fix than if the dog is just generally showing dog aggression.

I agree with everyone else who has said the dog needs training, and I think the OP does as well if he is responding to a dog biting by playing with the dog to placate it. And to me that goes some way to explaining why the dog is acting out in the other ways the OP listed.

Old 02-11-2023, 04:59 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,674,611 times
Just a personal opinion about dog parks. Unfortunately many of the owners have not spent the time training their dogs and it can become a "free for all." I have found it is better to have a one on one playdate. I took my five month old puppy to a daycare and when she came home it was difficult for her to settle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs