Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2022, 01:33 PM

5,022 posts, read 10,736,524 times

Advertisements

We just celebrated Christmas and my 7 yo GSD received no less than 5 toys from Santa My mom sent him one of those unstuffed plush toys and I immediately knew it would not be a favorite, as it has two squeakers in it but nothing for him to sink his teeth into.

Of the 5 toys, his favorite turned out to be a brown, oblong toy filled with an accordion-type plastic noisemaker that is very loud; it seems to provide just the right amount of tension for his bite as well as stimulation for his ears. He has been playing with it non-stop since yesterday and just bites it over and over and over and over and… well, you get the idea. I gave him a stiffer, purple, nylon toy (with squeakers) which he bit into and discarded almost immediately and two other plush toys (also with squeakers) that he played with for a little bit but that, apparently, are no match for Mr. Brownie.

What is your dog’s favorite toy and why do you think that they prefer that particular toy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2022, 02:07 PM
KB4

1,032 posts, read 1,649,970 times
My dog's first preference is to play with another dog, probably because toys don't play back. He also likes chewing, so he can spend hours with a Benebone. He used to like tug toys but also tried to chew them and they are usually not strong enough.

Old 12-26-2022, 02:36 PM

23,491 posts, read 19,184,248 times
My last dog wouldn't play with anything. She was actually afraid of something as innocuous as dropped socks. Yet another sign she had been abused. If you casually pushed or tossed any type of ball, chew, or soft toy in her direction, she'd bolt with a look that seemed to say "you were holding it so it must be yours. I'd never have the audacity to touch your belongings." The only objects she seemed to enjoy were edible treats. A sibling who always gives her cats Christmas gifts kept sending me pretty nice dog toys despite multiple reminders not to. At least the local shelter got the benefit!

Last edited by Parnassia; 12-26-2022 at 03:09 PM..

Old 12-26-2022, 02:50 PM

50,454 posts, read 64,294,398 times
My dog doesn’t know how to play with a ball, but he does like to kill any toy with a squeaker. It’s hard to say if the shape or type of the toy makes any difference. Our former dog, a Brittany, would always pick out squirrels at Pets Mart.

Old 12-26-2022, 04:22 PM

4,271 posts, read 3,196,027 times
My dog, a Dutch Shepherd, likes all toys and is highly motivated to "kill" them within a very short period of time. The one toy she absolutely goes insane over is a large orange "Jolly Ball," the type generally used for horses. To date it is "kill" proof.

Old 12-26-2022, 04:42 PM

470 posts, read 293,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
My dog doesn’t know how to play with a ball, but he does like to kill any toy with a squeaker. It’s hard to say if the shape or type of the toy makes any difference. Our former dog, a Brittany, would always pick out squirrels at Pets Mart.
Same with our Shi Tzu. We get a $4 squirrel at the dollar store, she tears it apart, takes a month or so. At least that's the only thing she chews on.

Old 12-26-2022, 07:48 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,095,588 times
Depends on the dog.

I had a GSD/malamute who loved anything plastic with a squeaky toy, double points if it was pink. Most ferocious looking dog in the neighborhood (but a completely friendly guy) would proudly show his pink squeaky toys to anybody who would pay attention. He also liked a particular rubber rat with a squeaky toy.

I have a hound mix that doesn't like toys, unless other dogs are playing with them. Only then will she pay attention, and mostly to annoy them.

I had a rottweiler that loved the Tufftoy brand of stuffed animals. Really dense stuffed toys with double stitching. Gave him something he could really chew on. His favorite was the shark, but he was pretty happy with the lamb as well.

Current dog is a lab that has a fondness for a Mr. Bill toy where the squeaker says "oh no!". It isn't a particularly durable toy, but he is a lab with a soft mouth, so it works out. I think he must have about 10 of those around the house in various states of dismemberment. I have started to name them:

Headless Bill (obvious reasons)
Outdoor Bill (stays on the porch and is only allowed on walks)
Buffalo Bill (from Silence of the Lambs. This Bill has no stuffing anymore, only skin)
Look Mom, no hands Bill (again, pretty obvious)
Limping Bill (missing a leg)

Old 12-26-2022, 08:43 PM

412 posts, read 161,824 times
My dog's favorite is this orange bull - the brand name is Mighty. It has squeakers in the arms, legs, head, and body.

He will immediately chew a hole in the head - rip off a horn or an eye - but then he still plays with it. I pull out and discard any loose stuffing (there's just a small amount in the head) and he's good to go.

Besides the squeakers, I think he likes the texture of the microfiber fabric.

https://www.target.com/p/mighty-micr...48#lnk=sametab

Old 12-27-2022, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
My dog doesn’t know how to play with a ball, but he does like to kill any toy with a squeaker.
This is my dog to a T: as long as he thinks that he is killing the toy, he is content. In fact, the more noise from it, the better.

[/quote] It’s hard to say if the shape or type of the toy makes any difference. [/quote]

I hadn’t noticed a difference either until this Christmas. It would be interesting to see what your dog did with toys of different colors, textures, shapes and/or fill.

Old 12-27-2022, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
My dog, a Dutch Shepherd, likes all toys and is highly motivated to "kill" them within a very short period of time. The one toy she absolutely goes insane over is a large orange "Jolly Ball," the type generally used for horses. To date it is "kill" proof.
Any particular reason she seems to prefer the Jolly Ball?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs