Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2022, 08:00 AM

5,010 posts, read 10,686,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Depends on the dog.

I had a GSD/malamute who loved anything plastic with a squeaky toy, double points if it was pink. Most ferocious looking dog in the neighborhood (but a completely friendly guy) would proudly show his pink squeaky toys to anybody who would pay attention. He also liked a particular rubber rat with a squeaky toy.

I have a hound mix that doesn't like toys, unless other dogs are playing with them. Only then will she pay attention, and mostly to annoy them.

I had a rottweiler that loved the Tufftoy brand of stuffed animals. Really dense stuffed toys with double stitching. Gave him something he could really chew on. His favorite was the shark, but he was pretty happy with the lamb as well.

Current dog is a lab that has a fondness for a Mr. Bill toy where the squeaker says "oh no!". It isn't a particularly durable toy, but he is a lab with a soft mouth, so it works out. I think he must have about 10 of those around the house in various states of dismemberment. I have started to name them:

Headless Bill (obvious reasons)
Outdoor Bill (stays on the porch and is only allowed on walks)
Buffalo Bill (from Silence of the Lambs. This Bill has no stuffing anymore, only skin)
Look Mom, no hands Bill (again, pretty obvious)
Limping Bill (missing a leg)
Please post a video if you ever end up having a funeral for any of the Bills I can hear the priest now: “May his soul and the souls of all the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, Rest In Peace, ye who sacrificed your body so selflessly, as did Christ our Lord for the souls of man, for thine Golden Retriever (insert name here).”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2022, 08:03 AM

5,010 posts, read 10,686,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milliepearl View Post
My dog's favorite is this orange bull - the brand name is Mighty. It has squeakers in the arms, legs, head, and body.

He will immediately chew a hole in the head - rip off a horn or an eye - but then he still plays with it. I pull out and discard any loose stuffing (there's just a small amount in the head) and he's good to go.

Besides the squeakers, I think he likes the texture of the microfiber fabric.

https://www.target.com/p/mighty-micr...48#lnk=sametab
I was talking to a friend of mine the other day about this. She has an Australian Cattle Dog who loves ripping off ears and gouging out eyes. I think it’s because his mouth is smaller….

My dog just bites and bites, sometimes shakes, in order to kill the toy.

Old 12-27-2022, 08:14 AM

631 posts, read 398,722 times
My older min poodle likes to play "tug" with a ratty old plush toy, while my 7 year old min poodle has an obsession with socks. Every night as I'm getting ready for bed she somehow finds a sock from somewhere and brings it with her and nudges it under the pillow. It's hysterical!
Meanwhile there's a basket full of toys, balls etc. that I've accumulated over the years that is ignored by both of them.

I'd love them, particularly the 7 y.o., to play fetch with a ball, but nah..... not interested.

Old 12-27-2022, 02:53 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,777,131 times
This fun thread reminded me of a Scotty we had when I was a kid. My parents brought home a male and female pup from the same litter. Named Maggie and MacDougal in due course. Shortly after getting the pups we moved to a new house. There were two very productive lemon trees in the back yard.

Not having any balls handy somebody started throwing lemons for MacDougal. A lemon ended up being his favorite toy. He chased, retrieved, and carried one everywhere to the point his chin hair bleached out. He'd bring them indoors where they'd leave a bleached spot on the carpet if someone didn't notice soon enough. He also loved to wipe his lemony beard and face along the bottom few inches of one particular upholstered couch. We called the result "the grime line".

Unfortunately, he'd stay loyal to the lemon-of-the-moment a bit too long. It would become a rotted mess. Eventually, someone would deliberately smash his beloved pulpy toy on pavement so he couldn't pick it up and had to accept a new one off the tree. He'd still try, grimacing, drooling, and snorting as the bitter juice stung his lips and tongue.

Maggie, on the other hand was too dignified a dog to stoop to fetching anything, let alone a lemon.

Old 12-27-2022, 03:26 PM

1,912 posts, read 1,127,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
We just celebrated Christmas and my 7 yo GSD received no less than 5 toys from Santa My mom sent him one of those unstuffed plush toys and I immediately knew it would not be a favorite, as it has two squeakers in it but nothing for him to sink his teeth into.

Of the 5 toys, his favorite turned out to be a brown, oblong toy filled with an accordion-type plastic noisemaker that is very loud; it seems to provide just the right amount of tension for his bite as well as stimulation for his ears. He has been playing with it non-stop since yesterday and just bites it over and over and over and over mad and… well, you get the idea. I gave him a stiffer, purple, nylon toy (with squeakers) which he bit into and discarded almost immediately and two other plush toys (also with squeakers) that he played with for a little bit but that, apparently, are no match for Mr. Brownie.

What is your dog’s favorite toy and why do you think that they prefer that particular toy?
My brilliant and perfect Standard Poodle had multiple small stuffed animals and she liked all of them.

She would line them up in a straight line, and if someone moved one so it wasn’t in an exact straight line with the others, she’d start crying.

Old 12-27-2022, 03:49 PM

6,997 posts, read 4,811,992 times
My big wire haired mix Vito loves any soft latex with a squeaker. He never kills them, never removes the squeakers. He chews them gently, carries them, sleeps with them.

Give him a stuffie, with a squeaker or without, and it is history within minutes. Shredded.

His “niece” Bonnie, my daughter’s sweet little pit bull, whenever she visits, seeks out all of his beloved latex toys and destroys them, one by one. Poor Vito! i try to find them all and hide them if I know she’s coming!

No idea why he likes those, he just does.

Old 12-27-2022, 04:18 PM

1,579 posts, read 948,073 times
Kong Wild Knots Teddy Bears. Seriously, she loves them above all else, hands down. I think it's because they have soft, little ears that are just the right size to suck on (you read that correctly). She never tears them apart or gets the squeaker out although they tend to start falling apart after a couple of years. She will fetch with them, shake them, and play tug of war with them. But what she really likes is to cuddle up to them and suck on their ears.

I had a panic when I couldn't find any for a year. I bought her different, but similar Kong toys, but they weren't the same since none had the ears. She gave preference to the ratty bears 90% of the time. Other toys like chew toys, rubber squeaky toys, non Kong plush toys get NO play time. It's a waste of money. She does like tennis balls though for fetch and finds her own toys (sticks and leaves) at times.

I was happy to find the bears again. I since stocked up on a few (just in case).

If it means anything, she's mostly sheltie (she's a mix). She acts a lot like a sheltie though (loves herding and is mouthy, but with a very gentle mouth at the same time... she doesn't bite, just mouths a lot and licks a lot). My point is she doesn’t chew things up. Doesn’t seem to be in her nature.

Last edited by WalkingLiberty1919D; 12-27-2022 at 04:55 PM..

Old 12-27-2022, 04:57 PM

4,252 posts, read 3,171,757 times
Quote:
Any particular reason she seems to prefer the Jolly Ball?
She has extreme ball drive (10 on a scale to 10) and will go after any ball. Most of the time we use large "Chuck It" balls. But for whatever reason that orange Jolly ball will cause her to forsake all others!

Old 12-27-2022, 05:48 PM

4,216 posts, read 4,885,486 times
Weirdly neither of our two dogs is that enamoured with toys. They both chewed on things when they were teething but have little interest in toys since then. However, if they see me with a ball or a frisbee or a dummy they will not leave me alone expecting a game.

Old 12-27-2022, 07:08 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,040,216 times
Quote:
Please post a video if you ever end up having a funeral for any of the Bills I can hear the priest now: “May his soul and the souls of all the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, Rest In Peace, ye who sacrificed your body so selflessly, as did Christ our Lord for the souls of man, for thine Golden Retriever (insert name here).”
Sometimes it will look like a Bill mass murder scene. He will collect a bunch of Bills and gather his treasure into a pile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs