Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2022, 03:05 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
I think that is a great one! I am fine with Dog owner.

Defiantly against dog parent same with calling pets fur kids because I do think too many people see dogs as little humans in fur coats. I love my dogs as much as anyone else and they are part of my family, but I cringe when someone asks how are your fur babies or fur kids? They are not my kids they are my dogs and there is nothing wrong with that. People need to start letting dogs be dogs. My dogs are very happy being dogs.
This. The pet parent/furbaby thing is grating.

Around here, though, virtue signalling being the blood sport that it is, they call them their "rescues."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2022, 04:08 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Technically in the bird hunting world there are owners and handlers. Sometimes one is both (like me). So owner is fine. Legally I own them.

There are two cattle dogs on the ranch I hunt on. They have about 2,400 head spread out over 10 or more square miles. In the main shop there is big board that lists all the sections, # of cattle, whose covering them- tasks for the day/week.

The dogs are on the board. I think they consider them 'hands' and not 'owned' necessarily.

Old 12-06-2022, 04:48 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
Dog owner was fine when I had dogs. Ex-dog-owner now works, too.

I guess you did not know there was a push in Boulder, CO, to call them “guardians” instead of “owners”.

This euphemistic renaming is getting ridiculous. The dog does not license itself, or voluntarily go to the vet, or buy its food, or decide what its schedule is (unless someone abandons it to become a feral...as in dangerous thing that is in limbo between two worlds).

Owners take care to make sure their (their, as in the possessive form) domestic animal is in their human world, fed and sheltered and kept safe both from harm and from causing harm.

But hey, we are now supposed to call homeless people “the unhoused.”

Old 12-06-2022, 06:40 PM

10,988 posts, read 6,852,461 times
I like pack leader but I'll settle for dog owner.

Old 12-06-2022, 06:43 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
I heard that "owner" is not PC anymore.

Old 12-06-2022, 06:51 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I heard that "owner" is not PC anymore.
If you bought a dog, and could sell it to someone else if you want to, you are the owner.

Owning an animal is no different in that regard from owning a car or a houseplant.

I love animals and while we no longer have a dog, we have five cats. We love them to death and would never willingly give them up, but when push comes to shove, we are their owners. Not their parents (that makes me cringe). Animals are not children.

Old 12-06-2022, 06:51 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,598 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
This. The pet parent/furbaby thing is grating.

Around here, though, virtue signalling being the blood sport that it is, they call them their "rescues."
I completely agree. I'm really tired of signing the line for "pet parent" when I fill out stuff at PetSmart for boarding. Holy cow.

And then, when you are getting off the phone making a boarding reservation, they always say, "Tell ____ we said hi".

Ok. Will do. He'll have no idea whatsoever what I said, though, and won't know who you are.

Old 12-06-2022, 06:52 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,055,148 times
Sometimes I own them, other times they own me, I don't care what is PC we just live in reality. In my house we refer to who ever is home that day as the Dog Nanny.

Old 12-06-2022, 06:59 PM

9,114 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Pack leader (hopefully )

You can hope, but you are delusional.

Who goes to work?
Who picks up poop?
Who sleeps most of the day?
Who never cooks but eats well?

Old 12-06-2022, 07:00 PM

708 posts, read 577,059 times
I refer to my dog as my dog- daughter. She's the best!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs