Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2022, 09:13 PM

1,827 posts, read 807,625 times

Advertisements

Has anyone used this? Opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2022, 09:16 PM

61,743 posts, read 87,194,708 times
Are there any potential side effects? The most common side effects include vomiting, diarrhea, lack of appetite, increased thirst, restlessness, irritability, and difficulty urinating. Serious side effects include seizures, collapse, or stroke-like signs (for example, not being able to walk).

Looks like fixing one issue while creating several more.
Not sure if I would want to deal with that.

Old 11-21-2022, 10:57 AM

Wow. Do you have a dog who used this? My dog is a breed that is known to have urinary incontinence in their later years, especially a spayed female who never had pups. She is taking it & still leaking.

If anyone else has a dog who takes/took this, I would like to hear from you. Thanks.

Old 11-21-2022, 12:31 PM

8,070 posts, read 12,790,933 times
I used it for an older male beagle mix. I had to discontinue it when he had difficulty passing urine. Before the discontinued use it worked well for him.
One day I saw "Buddy" out in the yard and his penis was extended, purple and it looked like he was straining to pee. I took him to the vet and they had me stop using the proin.

Old 11-21-2022, 12:58 PM

Thanks for answering. She has been taking Proin for over a year. I gave her less than maximum dosage, (50 mg bid) & that worked. When that was no longer effective, I increased to max dosage. Now that isn't working.

I really don't mind the extra laundry of beds, blankets, etc., but the wetness seems to really bother her. If she leaks, she then licks the spot as if to clean it, but of course that makes the area even wetter.

Wondering what to do now...

Old 11-21-2022, 01:12 PM

3,377 posts, read 1,973,336 times
When my vet recommended it for my diabetic miniature poodle I made an informed decision to use it knowing the risks but also believing there were many successful cases using this drug. I can only speak for what it did for our little girl and it helped tremendously.

She was on it for several years before she died and her death was related to diabetes, not Proin. She was about thirteen when she died (she was a rescue so we really didn't know her true age) and had been diabetic for five years - two insulin shots per day. She was a gem. She would jump on my husband's lap in the morning and evening when it was time to get her shot because she knew she would get a few pieces of freshly cooked chicken afterwards.

Old 11-21-2022, 04:22 PM

^^Thank you for your input, & if anyone else wants to contribute their experiences, positive or negative, please do, as I am still on the fence regarding what to do.

I am especially leery because, years ago, I had the same breed dog with the same problem & she was treated with another product, the name of which I can't remember. It was a disaster to her overall health. Proin wasn't available back then. Whatever it was that my first dog took, she suddenly became violent toward our other dog (and they were buddies) & then had stroke-like symptoms. She was never the same again...don't want to repeat that experience with this dog.

Old 11-21-2022, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
Thanks for answering. She has been taking Proin for over a year. I gave her less than maximum dosage, (50 mg bid) & that worked. When that was no longer effective, I increased to max dosage. Now that isn't working.

I really don't mind the extra laundry of beds, blankets, etc., but the wetness seems to really bother her. If she leaks, she then licks the spot as if to clean it, but of course that makes the area even wetter.

Wondering what to do now...
Did you increase the dosage with your vet's approval? With our dog the dosage amount was tied to her weight. We were fortunate to have a vet whom we trusted completely and he kept her meds and our other dogs' meds in balance with their weight. Sometimes just a few pounds can make a difference in the dosage.

If you notice her dribbling maybe you can use some butt wipes to swipe the area clean. It might make her less inclined to lick herself. I wish you the best : )

Old 11-21-2022, 06:28 PM

^^I gave her less than the max dosage prescribed b/c I just don't like to drug my dogs. The 50 mg. BID is max dosage for her size.

She is a rescue as they all have been, but she has been particularly challenging. One vet want to put her on Prozac. We did have a vet that we really trusted but unfortunately she had to take early retirement & our current vet is overloaded.

Thank you for your input, I really appreciate it!

Old 11-21-2022, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
^^I gave her less than the max dosage prescribed b/c I just don't like to drug my dogs. The 50 mg. BID is max dosage for her size.

She is a rescue as they all have been, but she has been particularly challenging. One vet want to put her on Prozac. We did have a vet that we really trusted but unfortunately she had to take early retirement & our current vet is overloaded.

Thank you for your input, I really appreciate it!
Thank you. We moved cross country and left behind the vet who was amazing. We've been in our new town for two years and we're on our second vet because the first one we had here left almost everything to his vet techs to do. We rarely got "an audience" with him. Many vets here aren't even accepting new patients.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs